Non-motoring > Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 76

Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - RattleandSmoke
I hoped it was just a cold but been in bed now since Boxing Day and feel worse than I have been doing. Seems to be all the symptoms of swine flu only slightly milder, but I had it in October 2009, is it possible to get it twice?

Just starting to get frustrated now. My sister has it too as have a couple of my customers. Seems to spreading very quickly in this part of Manchester :(.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 19:46
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Stuu
Ive just about recovered from a week of Flu. Kept waking up in the morning with 40c temp.
Seems to have taken me twice as long to recover as normal and its ruined my xmas.
My dad now has it. Apparently alotta people do, its an especially nasty strain.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Perky Penguin
If you have/had a 40C temperature you need to get a new thermometer!
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Old Navy
If you had a dose of pig flu you would be in hospital.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 19:36
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Bigtee
Had the flu for 2 weeks it's finally shifted yipee.

Drink plenty of fluids water is recommended i used beer & eat healthy.

Fresh air nice walks when you can get out of bed and go for a swim sweat it out.

Just got to get on with it lots round here had it & loads off at work with it which is great for me lots of overtime.!!

Bring on more bugs.!!
It depends on the serious of it, in fact all the hospitals here clear have signs on saying stay away if you have swine flu. The people in hospital are usually the elderly, the very young or people with other health issues.

I am just frustrated because I don't seem to be able to get through a year without getting struck by it,

I am not sure if it is the flu I have but I keep falling asleep and have no energy. I have a splitting head ache, feel light headed, have a temperature, nasty cough etc, it is more than just a cold but maybe not quiet flu.

When I had it last time it took me three weeks to recover with one solid week in bed, don't feel as bad this time. I need to get better for Friday as I have £30 worth of NYE tickets I need paying for.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Runfer D'Hills
Rattle - Stay off the booze and eat healthily for a year. Concentrate on buiding up your body and your business. Get yourself some men's wheels and this time next year you'll be shrugging off the bugs and fighting off the birds !

Only saying, but trust me !

Hope you feel better soon.

:-)
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - AnotherJohnH
>> symptoms of swine flu only slightly milder, but I had it in October 2009, is it possible to get it twice?

No. Not the same strain, according to the stuff I hear.

There are lots of interesting bugs about, and if you really want to catch more than the average bear, either become a primary school teacher, or cohabit with one.

I think that is partly the problem as I am going into lots of different peoples homes. In my case though I have caught it off my sister as most her office is off sick with it at the moment.

Interesting that both my parents seem fine though.
>> Interesting that both my parents seem fine though.
>>

Parents are always made of tougher stuff, they are old school after all. :-)
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - AnotherJohnH
>> Parents are always made of tougher stuff, they are old school after all. :-)

They've seen most of the bugs before too, and have some immunity (if the propaganda about who should have a jab is true.)

The other option is to have the 'flu jab annually.

I went through a few years when I was given the jab, and apart from a slight sniffle in the day or two after the jab i caught nothing at all for the duration.

For some reason (probably shortage/availability of vaccine last year) I am no longer considered "at risk" and now catch things again.

I may go and torment the receptionistas (non shall pass!) to resume jabs, when I feel up to it.
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 20:00
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - CGNorwich
Oldies seem to have a an immunity to Swine flu - Expect to see a lot more octogenarians on the checkouts at Tesco.

www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/06/old-people-may-be-immune-to-swine-flu/
Well I don't know if it's snake oil or not but years ago when I started my own business an older friend gave me some advice. He pointed out that being off sick now was no longer just inconvenient but extremely expensive too.

His advice was limit the alcohol to a minimum, keep yourself fit and and take a 500mg vitamin C tablet every day.

I've followed that regime ( apart from smoking a bit ) and I've not had so much as a cold in nearly 15 years. Not had a flu jab either.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Kevin
>His advice was limit the alcohol to a minimum, keep yourself fit and and take a 500mg vitamin C tablet every day.

Pah!

I've had plenty of bugs that produce flu-like symptoms but only had real flu once, in 1979.

My advice is to go to bed with a bottle of whisky and a hot woman.

Works every time for me.

Kevin...
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 20:51
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - teabelly
It's all down to the placebo effect. Whatever you do to ward off bugs will work if you believe it will strongly enough.

I swear by keeping away from people with colds and flu personally...
Well "Pah" to you too ! I don't get colds/flu in the first place so pah dee flipping pah !

Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Kevin
>Well "Pah" to you too ! I don't get colds/flu in the first place so pah dee flipping pah !

If a bottle of whisky and a hot woman won't work for you, I can understand that.

Whatever floats your own particular boat Humph ;-)

Kevin...
I can live without the whisky.

Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Leif
>> There are lots of interesting bugs about, and if you really want to catch more
>> than the average bear, either become a primary school teacher, or cohabit with one.

I used to work alongside two people who were married to primary school teachers. I've never had some many colds and flus.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - VxFan
>> If you had a dose of pig flu you would be in hospital.

And be prescribed some oinkment, but you'll be feeling right as rain again in about a weeeeeeek.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - NortonES2
Apparently so: I had two bouts a few years ago, separated by a 2 or 3 weeks. But the virus may be a variant, so the crafty little blighter ducks under any defences. When you have flu you know it: tendency for legs not to work! As I found out many years ago before my double helping, when I got out of bed and fell over. In nurses residence (all official and paid for) at the time: did the NHS kick in and coddle me? No chance. starved for a week!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 21:40
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Fursty Ferret
Are you absolutely sure it's flu? You might just have a nasty cold and need to MTFU...

Just sayin' but I've had flu once in my life and during that time I couldn't even think, let alone use a computer.
I don't think it is the flu, just a nasty virus. As I said I don't feel as bad as I did last year when I had swine flu. It does feel a lot worse than a cold though, not got out of bed since Boxing Day - that wouldn't happen with a cold.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - -
Flippin softies.

Wot you need is a no nonsense but loving Irish mother who gets you up, stuffs the worlds biggest breakfast down your neck and sends you off to school/work.
And a dad who come hell or high water gets up has a wash and shave, some breaky and goes to work even if he's dead.

Hump's right about eating well and staying off booze, pity he's gone back to the smoke's though, c'mon man show us you have the will.
Haven't really gone back. Just a couple of lapses. Under control. ( ish ) Not craving them now. Just took a notion to have one the other day when seriously tired and again one over Christmas. If I thought I could keep to that sort of level I'd be happy to be honest.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Dog
>>Hump's right about eating well and staying off booze, pity he's gone back to the smoke's though, c'mon man show us you have the will<<

My FiL has got 'the will', but he enjoys a puff ... I tell's im he wont make old bones!

He's 86 next birthday :)
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - R.P.
I took five days sick leave in the last ten years before retiring - that was the worst sore throat I ever experienced in my life - other than that the odd sniffle but never confined to bed with anything.....until I retired I had one cold after another, nothing bad just splutters/cough etc....touchwood nothing in the last 8 months or so........I put it down to fresh air, good (non-processed) food, oranges (one a day most days).
My diet is something I do need to sort out in 2011 more than the booze, I don't drink that much anyway only at weekends. I've consumed six units in the past 10 days - maybe that is why I am ill not enough booze!

But I don't get enough fruit or vitamins and that is probably why my defences are down. I need to put an end to the very late nights too.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Ted

I'm still suffering. Had a bad night, chest pains like angina....GTN spray worked for them.
Got up about 10...really couldn't be bothered with anything so had a cup of tea and a cold mince pie.....didn't have the energy to do cereal or toast.
Retired to the lounge on orders and crashed on the settee. Slept 'til she got home from shopping.
It all changed then, went up to my head, nose running like Usain Bolt....headache, sneezing.
That's how it is now. So, I'm gonna have a cuppa and go to bed.
Eyes really bad with it...can't not hardly never see the words on the screen !

I so much hope it's gone by morning !

Ted
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - R.P.
Hope you're ok as well Ted.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - bathtub tom
>>if you really want to catch more than the average bear, either become a primary school teacher, or cohabit with one.

Tell me about it!

My boss just didn't believe it when I caught German measles for the third time in as many years (confirmed by my GP). I had to stay away from work, because at the time I was in an environment with lots of women, any number of which could be in the early stages of pregnancy (nothing to do with me).

German measles can have very mild symptoms. It didn't go down too well when the boss turned up, unexpectedly, at my home, to see how I was, to find me up a ladder painting the house.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - henry k
>>I had to stay away from work, because at the time I was in an environment with lots of women, any number of which could be in the early stages of pregnancy (nothing to do with me).
>>
LOL. Quite a few years ago I got a reaction to proscribed drugs and I developed a red rash. My GP signed me off saying " Have fun but keep away from other women as they will just not believe you when you say it is not GM."
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - DP
My GP once explained the difference between a cold and flu very nicely.

You're lying in bed feeling dreadful. Someone drops five grand in crisp twenties in a box outside your front door. If you have any inclination to get up and retrieve it, and certainly if you actually manage to do so, it's a cold. Based on this, I reckon I've only had flu once in my life.

That said, I do have an absolutely foul cold at the moment. But from talking to friends and neighbours, I think it's easier to mention people who don't have one. I've never known a year like it for lurg.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - L'escargot
>> My GP once explained the difference between a cold and flu very nicely.

My GP said that if you really have 'flu you'd rather be dead.
It is a nasty cold I think. Feeling a bit better today, I am going to have a bath walk down to the shops and then if I still feel ok I will drive the car round the block to make sure it still works.,

Just cold a bit of a cough and a really bad ache now, still feel a bit achy but my breathing is back to normalish.I feel like I have a cold now, where as yesterday it felt like the flu could be coming on.

I've had real flu twice and I don't remember that much about it as I was just asleep all the time .
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - corax
I've got it as well. Had it since boxing day. I havn't had a cold for years and this is the second one this year. Can't believe how quickly these things spread around the country. The only contact I've had with the great unwashed over the past couple of weeks is at B&Q and Wickes. I must have picked it up from the card machine or something. Can you imagine how many dirty paws use them over one day.

Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - rtj70
>> I will drive the car round the block to make sure it still works.,

I'd leave the car where it is if you're not going anywhere. Of course it still works ;-)
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Bagpuss
I've had 2 weeks off work in the last 10 years. Following a business trip to Ireland some years ago I ended up with the inevitable cough which got steadily worse rather than better. Then I found I was waking up at night with a high fever and unable to breathe. I reluctantly went to the doctor, who sent me for an X-ray and diagnosed pneumonia. I got put on a cocktail of drugs so strong I spent the 2 weeks barely able to walk.

Rattle, what you have is a cold mixed with self pity. For God's sake it's New Year and you live in Manchester. Get up, get out and get laid.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Fursty Ferret
>> Rattle, what you have is a cold mixed with self pity. For God's sake it's
>> New Year and you live in Manchester. Get up, get out and get laid.
>>

Much more elegant than my "MTFU", Bagpuss!
>> My GP once explained the difference between a cold and flu very nicely.
>>

A GP once told me that if you are fit enough to get yourself to medical help there isn't much wrong with you, the clever bit about being a GP is spotting if there is though.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 12:49
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Armel Coussine
I see that I have been preempted, perhaps several times.

Most people who think they have influenza have colds and are in a wimpish mood.

Take a lot of aspirins and drink plenty Sheikha.
My sisters boyfriends sister was perfectly well enough to seek medical help for her bruising which was appearing on her arm. She got fobbed off. A couple of days later still no better she went to A&E, she died while waiting for her MRI scan.

It is easy to say MTFU. Believe me I don't stay at home for no sodding reason. Usually I am out every few seconds and always going places.

Feel a bit better now but I feel asleep with the laptop openj just after I posted that last message.
Er...what's MTFU ? Is it one of those satellite campus places for Manchester University perhaps ?

I have a horrible feeling I'm very wrong...but I'm not very clued up on "txt spk" I'm afraid.
>> Er...what's MTFU ?

Not a clue, must be some Mancunian dialect.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Bromptonaut
>> >> Er...what's MTFU ?
>>
>> Not a clue, must be some Mancunian dialect.

Is Alfa based that way now? Or maybe he picked it up at Uni??
I just guessed what it means, man the something up.
Oh I see. Fair enough.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - L'escargot
>> Er...what's MTFU ?

I didn't know either until I looked in here. www.urbandictionary.com/popular.php?character=M

Rattle, this cold you've got is making you very coarse.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Bromptonaut
I guess it's perfectly possible to fall victim to two different versions of the flu. And at this time of year when we're dashnig round the country hugging/kissing lots of people viri can travel far and fast.

That's how the vomiting virus got the prefix 'winter'!!!
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - teabelly
If there was five grand on my doorstep I don't think even the worst flu or mild death would stop me getting at it :-)
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - FotheringtonTomas
Not normally, but the virus constantly changes, and you could get a different sort straight after another.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 13:46
How is Father Ted today I wonder?
I did go for a drive but the car wouldn't start. It was slow to turn over but did start on the first try but it took a few seconds for the engine to run. It was then firing on only three cylinders.

I stoped the engine and started it again this time it ran on all 4 but sounded like a bag of nails. Then a load of steam started appearing from the bonnet and massive cloud of smoke from the back.

I feared the worse but I could see bits of water in the engine bay which was just creating the steam, it appears some water from the 6 inches of thawing snow I had on my bonnet must have got into one of the HT leads.

Anyway I drove it round the block and it was fine, no miss fire or anything and then drove to get some last minute pressents again fine.

I think lesson learnt is don't leave snow on the bonnet for over two weeks!

Feeling a quite a lot better now but keep getting out of breath and exhausted. I am meeting some friends tonight but I will lay of the booze and go home early.
>> I did go for a drive but the car wouldn't start. It was slow to
>> turn over but did start on the first try but it took a few seconds
>> for the engine to run.

That's a cracking contradiction Ratts. :-) Glad you are feeling better.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 17:42
You know what I mean, it was very slow to turn over, it was turning over but not firing is the word I was looking for.
So it started. And then you didn't drive it far enough or long enough to replace the charge in the battery you used to start it. The next time you do this it really might not start.

You even stopped and restarted it using even more charge from a battery depleted by starts in the cold weather.

Hope you have a jump start pack or RAC/AA cover.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 29 Dec 10 at 18:05
I drove three miles in it on the way back home (round the quadrant and kings road twice) to give it a bit of charge.

The battery is fine, the starting problem was due to the pool of water on the engine the bay and if the worse comes to the worse it is nothing my battery charger won't sort out.
But if not recharged properly the battery will be the problem.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - John H
>> But if not recharged properly the battery will be the problem.
>>

Leave the poor lad alone. He is paranoid enough as it is. Next he will be worried his virus is a rootkit that can only be removed using drastic surgery.

p.s. Do we really know whether his virus last year was ever confirmed to be swine flu H1N1, or was it just ratlle's fertile imagination as usual?

Thanks for asking Doggo....I'm back ( briefly )
My last post hoped for some alleviation by morning....it didn't come.
I had a full day planned....being my birthday. Felt as rough as a buzzards crutch first thing so SWMBO made me a cuppa and I slept 'til I heard daughter and g'daughter arrive.
Got up and dressed....opened me cards and tried to keep away from the 6 yr old.
Other daughter and family arrived. I was allowed to play with the baby 'cos I probably got it off him. I sat him on the table and we gurned at each other for ten minutes.
They all went, I went back to bed.

We were having guests for dinner but I couldn't face food so it had to be a threesome.
All ladies of a certain age, though, so I'm sure I was verbally pulled to pieces.

Got up after they'd gone, feel a bit better now and my eyesight seems a bit sharper.
Had another cuppa and a plain, cheddar cheese sandwich. First real food for 3 days.
Friends coming from Cumbria tomorrow so I'll try and get some fresh air, all being well.

I won't call this flu, just a viral infection of some sort. Quite debilitating though.
I can't believe that a lickle virus can knock out a rufty-tufty, dependable-in-a-crisis, hero warrior like me ! I suppose if it's possible, after all it did for the Martians on Horsell Common.

We'll tackle the bed sores tomorrow !

Ted
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Pat
Happy Birthday Ted, you caught me up:)

Pat
>>We'll tackle the bed sores tomorrow !<<

Good to hear you're still in the land of the living Teddo, oh - and Happy Birthday!
Glad you are on the mend, Ted. Nothing like a decent virus to shatter the roughy toughy image aquired through years of image building. :-)
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - sherlock47
ted said

>>We were having guests for dinner but I couldn't face food so it had to be a threesome.<<

so it was not a difficult choice then? ;)

Maybe the language down south is different?

Perhaps the only conclusion to draw from this thread is that the virus is more virulent and widespread up north?
>> Perhaps the only conclusion to draw from this thread is that the virus is more
>> virulent and widespread up north?
>>

I have had a flu jab, but have a cold at the moment. Fortunately it is no worse than a discomfort.

It would probably put a southern wimp off work for a week, pleading they were at deaths door. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 10:01
>> I have had a flu jab
>> It would probably put a southern wimp off work for a week, pleading they were
>> at deaths door. :-)

Righto, you've got the cheek to call southerners wimps, but you've had a flu jab. To make sure you don't get something you can't handle :)

>>, but you've had a flu jab.
>> To make sure you don't get something you can't handle :)
>>
>>
Us geriatrics need to stay fit to spend all the taxes you lot pay. :-)

On a more serious note, I am wondering if the government will have a problem with the baby boomers (like me) who are semi computer literate, and are not to proud to claim every penny they are entitled to.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 30 Dec 10 at 13:10
>> On a more serious note, I am wondering if the government will have a problem
>> with the baby boomers (like me)

There will be a problem in the future where the working population will struggle to pay the pensions of the increasing number of retired, due to their much greater survival rates.

Maybe you should give up the flu jab next year, just to help speed things up a bit, you understand :)
>> There will be a problem in the future where the working population will struggle to
>> pay the pensions of the increasing number of retired, due to their much greater survival
>> rates.
>>
A bit less of fighting other peoples wars, and foreign aid to corrupt (more corrupt than ours) countries should cover it.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Clk Sec
>>...should cover it.

And we'll likely be on the duff end of a two-tier state pension scheme. That should help.
>>It would probably put a southern wimp off work for a week, pleading they were at deaths door. :-)<<

We must be doing something right down ere then ~

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3322860/Weybridge-is-UKs-most-fertile-town.html
Or all Northerners are wimps:)

Pat
I thought you were a couple of months younger than me, Pat. I know ON's romping ahead of both of us.......a threesome in the sense that you dirty lot infer wasn't really on....
My floors won't take 30+ stone of lesbian grunting and pushing !
Lovely lasses though....bought me some presents ! I was sensible enough to only leave a dozen beers out so I've plenty for the New Year.

Got up at 0930...felt like crap. Hoped it would clear a bit but it didn't. Stayed up 'cos friends were coming from Appleby. Couldn't eat a thing at lunchtime. Survived on tea and paracetamols today. Fetched up this afto...got to the bog in time....no diced carrots, though.

Bit better again...had a plain cheese butty and a glass of milk. A good night in the arms of Morpheus should see me past it all.

Trip to the Model shop planned for tomorrow....a good incentive to live.
She can drive, though.

Ted
Certainly the promise of the pub yesterday made me get better very quickly! Still got a cough and my nose dosn't stop running but it is now just a normal cold.

When I was ill last year I was far worse, I had a sick bowel next to my bed and couldn't get out of bed at all not even for the toilet, if somebody said there was £20k in cash downstairs I would not have been able to get it, at least during the first three days.

Still got a head ache etc but I am planning to go out tomorrow night as planned, also got 25 miles of driving to do so I just hope the car starts!.

It would be emberassing having to take the Fiesta.
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - hjd

>> When I was ill last year I was far worse, I had a sick bowel
>> next to my bed

That brings up some revolting images...
Far too much information:)

Pat
 Flipping flu - possible to get it twice? - Clk Sec
I think I'll skip breakfast...
Latest Forum Posts