Non-motoring > AV amp HDMI switching, why? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 6

AV amp HDMI switching, why? - Hard Cheese

Further to an earlier thread where I discussed 5.1 sound on Freeview etc I now have the AV amp connected to the TV via digital-optical and the Blueray, DVD/PVR and (when required) PS3 are connected by HDMI to the TV.

Hence the amp input does not need to be changed, instead the TV feeds the amp with the audio for whatever it is playing, SD/HD broadcast, BD, DVD/PVR, internet video, PS3 games etc.

So why would I want to use an AV amp for HDMI switching?

Thanks.
 AV amp HDMI switching, why? - Skoda
You've mounted your TV on the wall and only having to run one HDMI lead and one Power lead to the TV is easier / cheaper / less hassle.

That's my setup.

That makes sense Skoda though in my case I would then have to switch sources separately from TV channels when with my current setup it is combined.

AV amp HDMI switching, why? - Fursty Ferret
Because you can't transmit "true" HD formats over SPDIF (ie, optical in your case). The best you'll get is compressed Dolby Digital or DTS.

Sending HDMI directly into the receiver allows for 7.1 channel surround sound, or uncompressed LCPM (ideal). Most receivers have an audio return channel so you still get sound from the TV.

>> Because you can't transmit "true" HD formats over SPDIF (ie, optical in your case). >>

But I am not, the optical is only handling audio and is surely as such the best medium.

AV amp HDMI switching, why? - Fursty Ferret
No, HDMI is the best medium to send audio as it's capable of a much higher data rate. You can either send compressed multi-channel (ie Dolby Digital) or uncompressed LCPM (stereo) down an optical connection.

However, you can send uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 down HDMI (the best solution), or the so-called "HD" audio formats. Other benefit is that it's only one cable.
 AV amp HDMI switching, why? - Skoda
>> I would then have to switch sources separately

I'm fed up switching sources.

I've got a single remote that tries to alleviate it a bit - you choose an "Activity" on the screen then point the remote at the telly / receiver / sky box and it sends the necessary commands to each in a few seconds - but it's not perfect.

I wish HDMI-1, Component-1, whatever-X was just another channel on the DTV channel scales. No faffing about, just change channel number.
Latest Forum Posts