Non-motoring > TV size versus viewing distance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 27

TV size versus viewing distance - L'escargot
Is there a formula to help choose a maximum TV size for a given viewing distance? It's difficult to decide in a shop when you're usually close up to a TV on display.
 TV size versus viewing distance - hobby
It would depend on the state of your eyesight as well?
 TV size versus viewing distance - Falkirk Bairn
Inverse square law would apply - double the distance and you need 4 x the size to maintain the image quality. Assumes the eyes of the viewer or good
 TV size versus viewing distance - Focusless
>> Inverse square law would apply - double the distance and you need 4 x the
>> size to maintain the image quality.

I think you would need 4 x the number of pixels ie. area of screen, but only double the size ie. linear dimension.
 TV size versus viewing distance - sherlock47
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

what else do you need to know!
 TV size versus viewing distance - FocalPoint
The better the definition (resolution) the closer you can be. Since getting my Samsung 40" LCD TV I've viewed it from exactly the same position as I used to with a CRT TV not much more than half the size. I did wonder at the time if 40" was too big, but it's a good thing.

FYI my eyes are approx. 2.5 metres from the screen.
 TV size versus viewing distance - henry k
Samsung say in their 3D brochure.

"Recommended viewing distance for 46" TV is 1.5 to 3 metres"
 TV size versus viewing distance - Clk Sec
I found this site quite useful, although it did suggest a bigger screen than the 42" we subsequently bought.

tinyurl.com/2v8p2dg
 TV size versus viewing distance - spamcan61
>> Samsung say in their 3D brochure.
>>
>> "Recommended viewing distance for 46" TV is 1.5 to 3 metres"
>>

1.5 metres from a 46" screen - I do hope they're joking! Sounds like a recipe for eyestrain.
 TV size versus viewing distance - henry k
>> 1.5 metres from a 46" screen - I do hope they're joking! Sounds like a recipe for eyestrain.
>>
Thats what is in the brochure plus

"Brightness levels are adapted when viewing 3D content to optimise the viewing experience"

All yours for £1699 at Currys
I cannot imagine sitting only 1.5m from a 46" telly.
 TV size versus viewing distance - Stuartli
One of the claims for the THX mode in top Panasonic models is that it helps bring a cinematic experience to viewing by allowing you to sit closer than normal to a large screen TV.

I watch my 42in set from around six to nine feet and it's perfectly comfortable due to the quality of the display and picture resolution - you wouldn't do it with a CRT set.
 TV size versus viewing distance - Bellboy
my 43 inch crt is approx 7 feet from my eyeballs and its picture perfect thank you
remember tvs in shops are set up to seduce and enthrall so choose carefully
oh and buy a sony or a hitachi or a panasonic
Last edited by: Bellboy on Fri 31 Dec 10 at 18:20
>>my 43 inch crt is approx 7 feet from my eyeballs and its picture perfect thank you>>

I'm sure it is, but most still have inferior resolution to an LCD or plasma and, for many, the annoyance of seeing 625 scrolling lines...
 TV size versus viewing distance - Tooslow
I thought CRTs topped out at about 34 inches? We had a 32 and it had it's own gravitational field, I hate to think what a 43 would weigh. Must be on the high side of 100kg
John
it certainly weighs plenty and only just fitted to get upstairs into my den
apparently i will be charged a wee fee of £64 for its disposal when the time comes
 TV size versus viewing distance - sherlock47
Who is charging for disposal? Poorly thought out policies like this end up with dumped products that end up costing money for the LA to clear up!

Learn to eat it or put it thro the waste disposal unit!
 TV size versus viewing distance - swiss tony
The way I understand it is, if you buy a replacement electrical item, then the supplier is obliged under the WEEE regs to dispose of the old item, if so asked by the purchaser.
probably so,its just what i reeeeeeeeed on the tv
anyway you wont get me in one of those white goods places when replacement time comes,i will be off to a real shop where it wont fit into the back of his A35 pickup
 TV size versus viewing distance - rtj70
Bellboy, if there is one near by do consider the John Lewis Partnership. As has been said on here before, they offer a 5 year guarantee on all TVs.
>>As has been said on here before, they offer a 5 year guarantee on all TVs.>>

So does my local independent audio/visual/appliance outlet (one of a chain of five shops) and, as I've pointed out before, it's also the main service and repairs centre over a large area of the North West for several of the top brand names.

Always worth checking out local outlets first.
Panasonic (and not the retailers) often offer extended warranties and not on TVs. I know Sound and Vision near Bolton do offer 5 year warranties on TVs and they are Panasonic backed warranties. And I got an extended warranty on a Panasonic camera by buying in store (would have been on offer in JLP too but it was cheaper in a camera store near Bolton).
>>Panasonic (and not the retailers) often offer extended warranties....>>

Perfectly true and, if such a promotion is on, then the outlet I mentioned provides the one from Panasonic (saves them the cost of providing their own five year warranty I presume).

Either way it's a win, win situation.
You seem reluctant to name what appears to be a good retailer in the NW.

There was an okay one near where I lived once called Europhonics but it closed down. I don't think that branch did much business. I think Europhonics is still going though.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 00:41
>>You seem reluctant to name what appears to be a good retailer in the NW.>>

Not reluctant in the slightest - in fact I've named it in another thread..:-)

www.smithstv.co.uk/

I think the business you mention called "Europhonics" is/might be, in fact, Euronics, the country and Europe's largest buying group for audio/visual/appliances products.

Independent retailers may join Euronics (it has more than 700 members IIRC) to enable them to match the big high street stores on prices whilst, at the same time, offering what is normally superior after sales service and attention. They display a Euronics sign on their premises. See:

www.euronics.co.uk/

www.euronics.co.uk/about-euronics
>> Always worth checking out local outlets first.

But if you know a real outlet has something on offer and that outlet is not near you - doesn't matter because JLP will still price match. They send someone from the nearest store to check prices.
 TV size versus viewing distance - MD
>> I cannot imagine sitting only 1.5m from a 46" telly.
>>
Well all the Chavs round here have probably got them and may sit closer in their poxy bedsits..:))
>>Always worth checking out local outlets first.

Good advice.

Visiting our local stockist saved us over £200 when we recently bought a new Panasonic TV and DVD recorder. We also have the benefit of a 5 year Panasonic guarantee for the telly, which wasn't available on any we looked at on-line.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 12:40
Latest Forum Posts