Non-motoring > Mobility scooters. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 43

Mobility scooters. - Bigtee
Need one for my gran who's 88 and just bought a brand new one for my grandad at 2k 4x wheels does 6-8 mph and 25 miles between charges.

My gran would not like to spend that much between 600-1k for a v good used one but some start at just over 1k for a 4mph model.

Bid on one off e bay and won but the batteries are totally flat and won't take charge the man now says and wants to drop it by £100.00 for us to get the batteries which means we get it for £300.00 new batts are between £100-150 45ah 24v.

So to you good people what do you think to used machines that maybe 2yrs old any known problems or just worn out batteries and away they go or buy brand new 4mph at £1k+???

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 5 Jan 11 at 10:07
 Mobality scooters. - Bellboy
if buying s/h dont buy an obese owned one in case it does a coco the clown as granmar drives it
 Mobility scooters. - FotheringtonTomas
>> So to you good people what do you think to used machines that maybe 2yrs
>> old any known problems or just worn out batteries and away they go or buy
>> brand new 4mph at £1k+???

First, consider what she needs - real actual needs, rather than "she might want to go up Snowdon one day".

Then get your Gran to somewhere she can try out a scooter. Factors are ease of use, size, perceived "tippiness", speed, adjustability so that elderly bones can operate the thing comfortably. Bigger is most certainly not better - what suits your Gran herself is the most important thing. Small machines are much more manoeuverable. A relative of mine bought a 4-wheel 4/8MPH machine, new (!), and has used it very little - lack of suspension travel, bigness, "it might tip up", etc. The reversing beeper was a huge embarrassment, too, so had to be "fixed". A second-hand 3-wheeler gets much, much more use. That said, a "big" 4-wheeler borrowed (free) on a day out at a NT house/gardens was no problem at all (softer/longer suspension helped). Perhaps a 4MPH 4-wheeler would be OK. I don't know. So, try a few - you might be able to "test drive" ones at mobility shops, hospitals, National Trust places, from people you meet in the street, at church or elsewhere.... very worthwhile.

I'd certainly buy second-hand from eBay without worry. Safeguards ensure that if the article isn't as described, you're probably OK. The 3-wheeler I bought was about £140, and was in almost-new condition. It did need new batteries after about two years. Most of the components are modular and dead simple to fit if need be.

Note, when buying batteries. Get the spec/size of the original battery, and *buy it online*, most probably not from a "scooter" place, just a general battery stockist. I could look up the Co. I used if that'd be helpful.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 13:36
 Mobility scooters. - Bellboy
I could look up the Co. I used if that'd be helpful.
>>>
> i would suggest you do because as you quite rightly say FT batteries to match are the key,
my local battery supplier wanted more for one to replace in my car boost pack than id paid for the thing 5 years previous
If you're going to put it in a car, make sure it comes to bits (3 or 4) easily.

Make sure the charging plug is easy to insert/get out.

She'll probably want a walking stick holder.
 Mobility scooters. - BobbyG
We quite often get these donated to our charity shops and I was staggered to find out the new cost and the used costs for some of them.

I am quite convinced that there are many sales reps employed to sell these to vulnerable people and milk them for every penny (remember those kirby vacuum cleaners anyone???)

Used, we sell them in our shops for up to £500 for an all singing, all dancing model.

I could confess at one point when we had one donated, we used it in the offices and made an obstacle course type thingy - they were very easy to maneouvre (seriously I was wanting to fully discharge and recharge the battery)

Huge variances in adaptability and portability , some fold amazingly small and could get lifted into a boot with ease, right up to ones that are built to take Glasgow's potholes I think! :)
>> We quite often get these donated to our charity shops and I was staggered to
>> find out the new cost and the used costs for some of them.

New cost is serious - over £3.5K in many cases - however, this is normally halved by most sellers. Second hand is much lower - as with stair-lifts, I don't know why, the items are extremely robust and simple.

>> I am quite convinced that there are many sales reps employed to sell these to
>> vulnerable people and milk them for every penny

Possibly - although people have businesses to run, and IF there's any after-sale care, that could increase expense.

>> Used, we sell them in our shops for up to £500 for an all singing,
>> all dancing model.

OK. "Up to"! Phew!
>> The 3-wheeler I bought was about £140,

And was like this one: bit.ly/iigoPM - a "lucky hit" since I did not know so much about them then.
 Mobality scooters. - VxFan
BigTee, whereabout in the Country are you? Anywhere near Oxfordshire?

I've been trying to sell my late fathers Scooter, with no sucess other than one time waster. Have been meaning to put it on ebay, but just haven't got around to it yet. Tried a few local shop windows and gumtree.

It's a Pride Go Go. Spec similar to this one.

www.mobility4life.co.uk/pride_gogo4_ultra.html

It's approx 4 or 5 yrs old. One or two 'battle' scars, but still in reasonable condition. It had new batteries fitted approx July 2010 and only used for one month on them. They have been kept regularly charged.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 14:02
 Mobality scooters. - Bigtee
BigTee, whereabout in the Country are you? Anywhere near Oxfordshire?

Good old West yorkshire, Leeds.

A bit far to drive that vxfan i want one local as there's plenty at 20-30 miles but as im visiting a few they want to be within 5 miles radius.

I think it's just a poor time of year nothing much on e bay at all on most things. Tony.
 Mobality scooters. - FotheringtonTomas
3 hours. 170 miles. Do you know anyone who travels that route and could put it in the back of their car?
 Mobality scooters. - Zero
how much you want for it DD?
 Mobality scooters. - hobby
FT said it all... Get her to look at some before buying... We didn't first time and ended up having to sell the first one we bought as it wasn't suitable.

There are loads around well under 1k, there is really no need to spend a fortune, the only thing that tends to go is the battery and they don't cost much to replace, we spent £65 - online as someone else mentioned...

And finally remind them that if they have an 8mph one its ILLEGAL to run it at over 4mph on pavements, there's usually a switch to limit it, also if it one of them and is run on the road they should have tax (nil rated but they should still have a disc) and insurance...

Which most don't...

Some day there's going to be a big claim by an innocent pedestrian from the antics some of the scooter users get up to... They are nearly as bad as cyclists on pavements...
>> They are nearly as bad as cyclists on pavements...

I'd say that *some* are nearly as bad... most are OK. They differ from many cyclists too, in that it's the only way that some users can get around at all.
Sorry, meant it that way, my wife uses one so I wouldn't say they were all bad, she drives it too slowly to be dangerous! Its just that some (mainly elderly and the younger users) tend to drive around with little regard for others, though many pedestrians seem to find looking below the level of their head quite difficult as anyone who has pushed a wheelchair will tell you, they see you but not the wheelchair sticking 3ft out in front of you and then fall over it!

Half the problem with *some* elderly users is that they've never driven anything before and have no concept as to how to control a vehicle properly and then they get given some vehicle they can go whizzing around the shops in and no training!
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 16:47
 Mobality scooters. - bathtub tom
Do they all have to be registered nowadays?
AFAIK only road-going ones used on the road.
>> how much you want for it DD?

I was asking £200 ono.
 Mobality scooters. - Runfer D'Hills
Finding the Mitsubishi a bit much now Z ?
 Mobality scooters. - BobbyG
He will put Fifi in the basket and take it for a "walk"!!!
Mind and put winter tyres on it Z
 Mobality scooters. - Runfer D'Hills
I know, aw bless !
I will fit fogs on it.

The aged RF matriarch might need one.
 Mobality scooters. - Iffy
...I will fit fogs on it....

And ABS?

With that lot it should reduce the range somewhat if they are all in use!
Dont forget ESP, dont want scores of the elderly skidding to their deaths.
...Dont forget ESP...

I wouldn't know the difference.
ESP only required for racing down highly polished supermarket floors!!!!
...ESP only required for racing down highly polished supermarket floors!!!!...

Are these things front or rear wheel drive?

An opposite lock power slide sounds like fun.

>> Are these things front or rear wheel drive?
>>
>

Rear... and all the weight's on the back... ;-) :-)
As demonstrated here by Zero's mam:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdDhW9Lwepc

yup - thats her.
 Mobality scooters. - Pat
Does it do wheelies?

Pat
Purchased one it does 8mph and new batteries fitted in sale with a warranty she's happy thats all that counts.
...Purchased one it does 8mph...

I thought she'd need a high performance one to keep up with granddad.

It was more him doing the "this is the one you want" only cos he'll nick it and she can drive his!!

Still there now mobile and no excuses and have the freedom they need to get out and meet other's which is something they don't do and have no friends there own age to mix with which would be better especially for my gran who loves to talk.!!
 Mobality scooters. - Bellboy
maybe you can set up a tug of trike and post it on youtube?
My friend's mum is registered disabled and cannot walk far. She lives in a nice house with driveway, in a nice street with lowered kerbs etc and nice pathways to the houses that her kids live at.

I have suggested numerous times that a scooter like these would be ideal and give her a whole new independence and freedom, not to mention reducing the dependency on her kids. But she refuses point blank to even consider it. I have offered to bring one out to her house to let her try but she refuses.

Don't know if she has seen too many folk trying to maneouvre round her local Tesco in one and that has put her off!
...not to mention reducing the dependency on her kids...

In her mind, independence may equate to fewer visits and loneliness.

My grandad quit driving last year but they never go out anywere but the supermarket.

In the short time of having the first scooter they have met a few other people & now they have two it should make things easier when the weather becomes much warmer and more folk out.
Dave

Is it still up for sale at that price? send me an email if so.
You going to stick it on ebay for Stu to buy???? :)
I think he may need it himself as he's knocking on. :-)
>> Dave
>> Is it still up for sale at that price?

Yes. I just haven't had the time to try re-advertising it. I'll reply to your email.
Latest Forum Posts