Non-motoring > Mac App Bargains Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 11

Mac App Bargains - R.P.
"1. iLife, iWork and Aperture
This covers a lot of apps but these official Apple programs are worth a look if you don’t have them already. The apps within the iWork productivity suite – Pages, Numbers and Keynote – and the iLife apps – iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband – are all available separately so this is a good time to get them if you just want one title. Meanwhile, Aperture, Apple’s photo editing package, which retails for £173 at the Apple Store, is available for £44.99. It’s a bargain if you need photo software."

For those of you with Mac of course.
 Mac App Bargains - rtj70
Anyone with a Mac will have iLife. The latest is iLife 11 and is an improvement. It's available as £46 as a real physical purchase but the individual apps are at a good price. Not all of iLife got updated between iLife 09 and Life 11. iPhoto and iMovie did. So if you're after a cheap upgrade.

The Aperture price is good. But if anyone is after more of an Adobe PhotoShop replacement take a look at Pixelmator.
 Mac App Bargains - Iffy
I now have an Apple apps store icon in my dock, following the latest OS upgrade.

Had a quick look at the latest free solitaire game - which makes me sad on two counts - but was surprised to see lots of reviews saying it's full of bugs.

Fair play to Apple for allowing all comments to appear on its website, but I'd have thought they could have managed to turn out a bug-free version of a simple card game.

I take these reviews with a grain of salt, but there's too many saying the same thing for there not to be some truth in them.
Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 10 Jan 11 at 00:36
 Mac App Bargains - Zero
You only have to look at the, genuine - not hyped, issues with the Iphone 4 to realise how far apple is a style studio and not a technology company.
 Mac App Bargains - paulb
>> You only have to look at the, genuine - not hyped, issues with the Iphone
>> 4 to realise how far apple is a style studio and not a technology company.
>>

Being a fella with a fair bit of knowledge of the tech game, Zero, how much would you say that was down to rushed development of the "ooh, these a sellign really well, let's make a better one really really quickly" variety?
 Mac App Bargains - Zero
No its not rushed development, development cycles in Apple are on par with industry timescales. Clearly its more to due with company culture*, whereby the engineering (both software and hardware) take a back seat to the usability and visual design engineers.

* Read Steve Jobs.
 Mac App Bargains - swiss tony
>> whereby the engineering (both software and hardware) take a back seat to the usability and visual design engineers.

In other words;

Style over substance.

Plus a great marketing set-up.
 Mac App Bargains - Iffy
...whereby the engineering (both software and hardware) take a back seat to the usability and visual design engineers...

Thank goodness for that.

No one's interested in all that tech stuff, apart from a few IT blokes who hang out in internet forums. :)

Mac App Bargains - Zero

>> No one's interested in all that tech stuff, apart from a few IT blokes who
>> hang out in internet forums. :)

Ordinary people tend to get interested when a simple application like an alarm clock, fails TWICE due to poor coding, specially when said people are late for work.
 Mac App Bargains - CGNorwich
Am I not right in thinking that Apple Apps are just software produced by independent companies?. The criticism of Apple for the possible existence of bugs in a free game produced by someone else seems a bit harsh.
 Mac App Bargains - swiss tony
>> Am I not right in thinking that Apple Apps are just software produced by independent
>> companies?. The criticism of Apple for the possible existence of bugs in a free game
>> produced by someone else seems a bit harsh.
>>

Harsh, but also the norm with Windows machines.
Think how many different software companies products are loaded on the average Windows PC.

Anyway, its not just the apple apps, that are poor design, its the OE software and hardware used.

A customer of mine, who works in the mobile phone industry as an independent, tells me the i-phone is a great PDA, but with a very poor phone attached.
 Mac App Bargains - Iffy
...The criticism of Apple for the possible existence of bugs in a free game produced by someone else seems a bit harsh...

Not really, Apple promote the game on their apps website - it is mixed in the catalogue with all the other products, some of which are home grown, some not.

As I said, fair play to Apple for also carrying all the criticism on the site, and for providing a free game for users.

I would post a link, but my access to the site comes up as a page outside the browser - no web address of its own.

Latest Forum Posts