Non-motoring > Heat shrink tubing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 61

Heat shrink tubing - Rudedog
OK, I've bought some heat shrink tubing to seal the ends of my laces on my walking boots (?good idea), I've never used this stuff before, so what can I use to activate it without destroying the laces? it says that it starts working at 70 degrees and is fully shrunk at 110, will a good hairdryer get up to this temp?
 Heat shrink tubing - Zero
Hair dryer? nah

Hot air paint stripper
 Heat shrink tubing - Runfer D'Hills
Maybe consider splashing out on a new pair of laces ? Or was it an especially wallet injuring Christmas this year ?

:-)
 Heat shrink tubing - CGNorwich
Truly all information is on the web. THis site will tell you how to solve all your aglet problems (that's apparently what that bit on the end of your boot lace is called ) including the use of heat shrink tubing.

Must try to use the word aglet in a conversation
tomorrow!

www.fieggen.com/shoelace/agletheatshrink.htm
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 10 Jan 11 at 22:39
 Heat shrink tubing - Rudedog
Thanks, I've been on that site before for looking at different ways to lace up my boots, I must have sub-consciously remembered about using this method, BTW the laces are almost brand new but two of the tips have already come of.
Its actually one of those sites that sounds a bit odd but contains a lot of useful information. Seem to be forever tying my boot laces lately. Will try out the secure knot.
 Heat shrink tubing - Ted

I use a lot of it......never done me aglets, though.

Cigarette lighter does the job fairly instantly with out damage to anything else.

Ted
 Heat shrink tubing - Rhubarb
My method. Dab of contact adhesive on the end of the lace, slide sleeving on, rotate sleeving to spread glue, shrink sleeving with heat gun, (paint stripper), roll heatshrinked end between fingers while still hot to reduce diameter, heat again for good measure. Done!
 Heat shrink tubing - Fursty Ferret
Use the barrel (not the tip!) of a soldering iron.
 Heat shrink tubing - Iffy
The guy who fitted the TV aerial at the caravan used heatshrink to waterproof and secure a coaxial cable joint.

Can't remember the heart source he used, so that's not very helpful, is it?

He didn't have mains power.

A kitchen blow lamp would do it.

Heat shrink tubing - Jetski
Boiling water.
 Heat shrink tubing - FotheringtonTomas
>> will a good hairdryer get up to this temp?

Easily, if you partially block the air inlets. It can get very, very hot indeed. Eventually it will go phut!
 Heat shrink tubing - Old Navy
I use an electric paint stripping gun for HS tubing.
>> >> will a good hairdryer get up to this temp?
>>
>> Easily, if you partially block the air inlets. It can get very, very hot indeed.
>> Eventually it will go phut!

But it will be pretty useless, as you blocked up the vents, no air will be coming out of it.
 Heat shrink tubing - madf
I use a blowtorch.. carefully.
 Heat shrink tubing - Bellboy
why not book a flight to somewhere really hot and leave the laces on da beach for a few hours?
 Heat shrink tubing - bathtub tom
Probably hasn't got your money Bb.

We can't all afford to jet off for three week Winter holidays. ;>)
>> Probably hasn't got your money Bb.
>>
>> We can't all afford to jet off for three week Winter holidays. ;>)
>>

I wonder how long it will be before we get the "Impoverished car dealer" sob story. :-)
>> >> We can't all afford to jet off for three week Winter holidays. ;>)
>> I wonder how long it will be before we get the "Impoverished car dealer" sob
>> story. :-)

Of course he will get a sympathetic ear when he does.
 Heat shrink tubing - Cliff Pope
I can't believe this is real. Surely it's come from the Private Eye book of spoof ads?

"End frayed shoelace misery-

Just use Lace-o-weld on your worn out laces, and quick as a flash, New Laces!

Only £99.99. Batteries not included.
Warning - Do not use indoors."
Doesn't everyone have HS tubing in their toolbox?

It's a bit like not having a selection of cable ties.

If not they are ill equipped for the modern world. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 13:05
 Heat shrink tubing - Crankcase
>> Doesn't everyone have HS tubing in their toolbox?
>>
>> If not they are ill equipped for the modern world. :-)

What is this "toolbox" of which you speak?

>> >> Doesn't everyone have HS tubing in their toolbox?
>> >>
>> >> If not they are ill equipped for the modern world. :-)
>>
>>
>> What is this "toolbox" of which you speak?
>>
>>
The one in the garage with electrical bits and pieces in it, soldering iron etc. As opposed to the ones with woodworking or engineering hand tools.

Don't tell me you live a deprived existence without the equipment to do repairs to your possessions.:-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 13:13
 Heat shrink tubing - Crankcase

>> Don't tell me you live a deprived existence without the equipment to do repairs to
>> your possessions.:-)

Ah, that's what they're for. I'm afraid my ability with all things in that vein are severely limited. I realised this at school, when forced into woodwork lessons, and my "coffee table" turned out to be a stool, much to my surprise. Even worse was the simplest metalwork project I could find - a poker. It fell to bits after one poke.

I'd give my right arm to be able to use a screwdriver, but I rather fear if I did pick one up that's exactly what would happen.

Heat shrink tubing - R.P.
And me too Crankase !
My sons friend arrived at our house, with his exhaust hanging after his bodge with cable ties failed.

I showed him how to fashion a new exhaust hanger by joining various sized jubilee clips together.

No tool box should be without a selection.
>> I showed him how to fashion a new exhaust hanger >>

Also wire coathangers are useful, they are banned in the house by Mrs ON, but I keep a couple in the garage.

I am not being brave, I don't think she knows what is beyond the fire door in the utility room. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 13:42
 Heat shrink tubing - Alanovich
>> I am not being brave, I don't think she knows what is beyond the fire
>> door in the utility room. :-)
>>

Hmm. That comment has made me think. I'm thinking about getting a door knocked through from my hallway into the garage as there is currently no internal access. Will it have to be a "Fire Door" these days then?
There is one as a non-OE fit on the garage here, I assume there's a Building Reg on it. Common sense though...especially if you're fixing your own boot laces in there.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 13:49
>> Will it
>> have to be a "Fire Door" these days then?
>>

I dont know what the building regulations are but I would think one would be required, and certainly sensible.

My Focus was in the garage overnight for three years before it was recalled for a fix to stop them catching fire while unattended.

>> My Focus was in the garage overnight for three years before it was recalled for
>> a fix to stop them catching fire while unattended.

Never mind, you gave it fair attempt, better luck next time.
 Heat shrink tubing - spamcan61
I'm not a BCO but yes, and there needs to be a step downwards of a few inches between the hallway floor and garage floor as well, presumably to act as bund in the event of fuel leakage.
>> there needs to be a step downwards of
>> a few inches between the hallway floor and garage floor

Ah crap. My hall and garage are on the same level, so that rules it out I suppose. Rats.
You can put in a threshold step.
>> Ah crap. My hall and garage are on the same level, so that rules it
>> out I suppose. Rats.
>>

Couldn't you put a substantial 2X4" across the floor on one side of the door to block any fluid transfer ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 15:12
Good idea, Z & ON. But I shan't look forward to the wife/children forgetting about it and leaving teeth marks in the side of my 360!
I had an acquaintance that drove a black taxi cab as personal transport on the grounds he wouldn't get stopped on the way home from the pub ( "they tell you to take a taxi home don't they") applying the same sort of lateral thinking he had a coat hanger as an aerial - albeit a plastic one.
...Also wire coathangers are useful...

Welding wire is even better.

Stronger, and it withstands more bends and twists before it snaps.

Coat Hangers, Welding Wire, Jubilee clips,.

Youngsters! Pah! don't know the meaning of a job well done these days, No pride in their work.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 14:03
 Heat shrink tubing - RichardW
If it can't be repaired with a combination of bailer twine, parcel tape, gaffer tape, and chemical metal, then it's probably not worth repairing!
 Heat shrink tubing - madf
>> If it can't be repaired with a combination of bailer twine, parcel tape, gaffer tape,
>> and chemical metal, then it's probably not worth repairing!
>>

Bailer twine is good for emergency trouser repairs after arguments with barbed wire..
 Heat shrink tubing - Dulwich Estate
"If it can't be repaired with a combination of bailer twine, parcel tape, gaffer tape, and chemical metal, then it's probably not worth repairing!"

Hmmm...what about my windscreen then........
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 21:02
>> "If it can't be repaired with a combination of bailer twine, parcel tape, gaffer tape,
>> and chemical metal, then it's probably not worth repairing!"
>>
>> Hmmm...what about my windscreen then........
>>

Easy, drill a series of holes each side of the crack and lace it up like a shoe with bailer twine. :-)
Brilliant Cliff - Just been reading these in my delayed Christmas edition ! Never fail to make me laugh.
 Heat shrink tubing - VxFan
To stop my laces from fraying at the ends, I just use a ciggy lighter and melt the ends.
i love masking tape in my toolbox,solves hundreds of permanent fix problems it does and welding rods, so much easier to shape than coat hangers and easier to source
 Heat shrink tubing - Ted

Welding rod rusts....so better to use a galvanised coat hanger. Better still, everytime you chuck a radio/tape/CD player away, snip the aerial off and keep a store of them to end broken aerial misery on the car.
They also make a handy pointer if you decide to give the wife a lecture on something...say, ironing, for instance.

Masking tape is much the best thing to stop serious bleeding which might otherwise have required a trip to casualty, thus enabling you to get on with the job in hand.

Ted
 Heat shrink tubing - Pat
Could the OP just not go and buy a new pair of boot laces, or have I missed something?

Pat
...Welding rod rusts...

It comes in different gauges, and you can do some serious strapping up with the thicker stuff.

We always used to carry a few rods in several different thicknesses on the breakdown tender.

Rust didn't matter because the customer was told it was a temporary repair.

I'm sure when they got home they all had the job fixed properly - not.

No good as boot laces though.
...No good as boot laces though...

True.

Not saying I've seen this, but the thinner stuff would be good for wiring up a flapping sole.
Just flame the frayed ends with a lighter (as I think someone suggested back up there... ) It'll seal them well enough without the need for the tubing, unless of course there's some aesthetic reason for wanting your lace ends neat.

Why do walkers wear red socks with their trousers tucked into them by the way? Always wondered.

:-)
Why do walkers wear red socks with their trousers tucked into them by the way? Always wondered
>
>>. so they dont get knocked down by a fire engine silly............;-)
 Heat shrink tubing - WillDeBeest
To indicate crisp preference: red=Ready Salted, blue=Cheese & Onion. You never see green because Salt 'n' Vinegar is horrible.
Would they be Walkers' crisps then ?
 Heat shrink tubing - WillDeBeest
Is there any other kind?
 Heat shrink tubing - henry k
>> Is there any other kind?
>>
as I posted the other day - Naked .
 Heat shrink tubing - Bromptonaut
>> Just flame the frayed ends with a lighter (as I think someone suggested back up
>> there... ) It'll seal them well enough without the need for the tubing, unless of
>> course there's some aesthetic reason for wanting your lace ends neat.

Fine with nylon laces, epic fail if they're cotton!!!
Betcha even "cotton" laces will have some synthetic content in the weave...

I'm quite impressed with this thread. Wouldn't find this sort of thing in many places would you? Far less, people arguing about the structure, care and maintenance of bootlaces.

Why do they wear red socks? I'm yet to be convinced by the snack theory.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 21:29
 Heat shrink tubing - Ted

It may be for the same reason that I wear red socks when motorcycling.

A flapping sole is best cured with tie=wraps.

Ted
"'m quite impressed with this thread. Wouldn't find this sort of thing in many places would you?

Don't know whether you have explored the site referred to in my earlier post. There's more shoe lace info. there than you could believe possible. Strangely interesting too in an odd sort of way. How to tie a shoe lace if you only have one arm for example!
 Heat shrink tubing - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Masking tape is much the best thing to stop serious bleeding which might otherwise have
>> required a trip to casualty, thus enabling you to get on with the job in
>> hand.

Then when the job is finished do a proper repair with superglue.
Not joking - top surgeons recommend it.
Latest Forum Posts