Non-motoring > Connecting VCR to TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 30

Connecting VCR to TV - Robin O'Reliant
I have a new TV with only one Scart socket, which I am using to connect the Sky digi box. I also need to connect the VCR, which used to plug into the second Scart on the old set. Am I right in thinking that a lead with a Scart on one end and three phono plugs on the other to connect to the relevant sockets on the TV is the way to go?
 Connecting VCR to TV - smokie
Or a scart switch box - maybe as cheap
>> Or a scart switch box - maybe as cheap
>>
That would mean fiddling about behind the set (little space) every time I wanted to switch. The Scart to phono would work then?
 Connecting VCR to TV - rtj70
Can you not rely on pass-through connection for SCART by daisy-chaining them? Might not be ideal. If your old 'new' TV also has some phonos then that is an option.
>> Can you not rely on pass-through connection for SCART by daisy-chaining them? Might not be
>> ideal. If your old 'new' TV also has some phonos then that is an option.
>>
I have not even got a clue what that means. If someone can assure me that Scart to phono works that is the option I would prefer.
Tell us what the new TV is (only one SCART? HDMI?).... but SCART to phono could work. Depending on what you're connecting to what else.
The set is a Toshiba 32BV700B.

One Scart, two HDMI sockets. Only the digi box and the video will be connected.
 Connecting VCR to TV - Ted

I use a scart for VCR to TV.....no HDMI on VCR.....too old.

HDMI Virgin+ box to TV and DVD recorder to TV.
4 HDMI ports on TV.
I do have a scart hub which is now redundant if anyone wants it.

Ted
 Connecting VCR to TV - smokie
Guess you mean a cable like this tinyurl.com/6cx6qfv

I have one of those from my DVD to TV - doesn't get used much but it works.
Upgrade the Sky box to a Sky HD box (but not subscribe to HD channels). Then use HDMI for that.

As smokie says, if the cable is like he links to it will work.
Cheers, that's the info I wanted.
 Connecting VCR to TV - Iffy
The OP mentions 'little room' behind the set.

Would an HDMI to scart lead be a good option?

tinyurl.com/68tb3ep

iffy that is not an HDMI to SCART lead. It's an all digital HDMI to DVI lead. There shouldn't be mention of SCART in the description.

Note: HDMI is an all digital connection. SCART is an analogue connection.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 11 Jan 11 at 23:46
...iffy that is not an HDMI to SCART lead....

Good spot.

I think I'll confine my advice to the OP to: "Only listen to those who know what they are talking about."

Connecting VCR to TV - Stuartli
Perhaps an auto Scart selector box might be the answer. See:

tinyurl.com/4bl2ugc

for examples.
 Connecting VCR to TV - bathtub tom
Have the digi box or VCR got two sockets?

I've got by over the years by using Poundland SCART leads in various combinations to TV, VCR, digi-box and DVD player. I use the phono leads to connect the VCR, CD and DVD to my amp.

I'll have to buy a PCR eventually.
Could someone who knows what they are talking about advise the OP on the possibility of using co-axial cables?

I'm sure on my last VCR you could plug the aerial to co-ax lead into the VCR and then run another co-ax lead from the VCR to the TV.
>>I'm sure on my last VCR you could plug the aerial to co-ax lead into the VCR and then run another co-ax lead from the VCR to the TV.>>

You had to do that for the simple fact that the TV also required an aerial signal...:-)

RF throughput is the term and the VCR's own connection allowed recording of TV programmes; the VCR would use a Scart lead link to the TV to allow you to watch said recordings.

If you had a Freeview box, the original TV aerial signal would be connected to that first then to the VCR and then via another coaxial lead to the TV; the Freeview box's programmes output were made with a Scart to Scart connection to the VCR.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 12 Jan 11 at 00:43
 Connecting VCR to TV - VxFan
As already mentioned (I think)

Presumably the Sky box has more than one scart socket? I've not seen one that hasn't.

Scart lead from VCR to Sky box, and another scart lead from the Sky box to the TV.

If the VCR has more than one scart socket, you can connect the scart lead from the Sky box to the VCR, then from the VCR to the TV instead. This configuration means you can record from Sky onto VCR.

In short - daisy chaining, which did get a previous mention.
 Connecting VCR to TV - AnotherJohnH
Having finally found the user manual for the beast:

www.toshiba-om.net/LCD/PDF/English/Country_Specific/BV700-32-English-Specific.pdf

So, in addition to the suggestions above, I believe you can use a scart breakout to phono (video and two audio) lead as per the question in your original post.

The "side video" phono socket below the USB socket, and the two phono audios below as per page 8.

As far as I can tell.
 Connecting VCR to TV - Cliff Pope
I leave all this sort of stuff to my 13-year old daughter.
 Connecting VCR to TV - spamcan61
>> As already mentioned (I think)
>>
>> Presumably the Sky box has more than one scart socket? I've not seen one that
>> hasn't.
>>
>> Scart lead from VCR to Sky box, and another scart lead from the Sky box
>> to the TV.
>>
>>
>> In short - daisy chaining, which did get a previous mention.
>>
That's the way to do it, no need to buy anything; one SCART socket on the back of the Digibox will be marked 'VCR' and the other 'TV' to make it even easier.

Using a SCART to composite video (i.e. red/white/yellow phono plugs) would mean that auto switching wouldn't work on the source connected via that lead either.
>> Could someone who knows what they are talking about advise the OP on the possibility
>> of using co-axial cables?
>>
Yes you could daisy chain via RF rather than SCART, and tune the TV to the VCR RF channel, but the VCR picture will probably look a bit crap
...Note: HDMI is an all digital connection. SCART is an analogue connection....

If the OP's sorted....

Seems to me the change from SCART to HDMI makes upgrading components piecemeal a bit tricky.

I have an early SCART-only Sky+ box and a basic SCART-only Samsung flatscreen telly.

Are new Sky boxes HDMI-only? If so it won't plug into the telly.

A new telly will be HDMI, but might have a single SCART socket, although I wonder for how long.

Seems to me the safest upgrade would be to change both components at the same time.

Not ideal, I'd rather spread the cost and inconvenience.

And I've not even mentioned DVD players and games consoles.

Just remembered someone sent me the following link ages ago.

www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/connection_wizard.html

Maybe a picture will explain it better?
>>
>> A new telly will be HDMI, but might have a single SCART socket, although I
>> wonder for how long.
>>
The situation with SCARTs on flat panel TVs is a bit odd, many of the cheap supermarket brand sets have two SCARTs, yet most of the mid price sets from known brands only have one.

As you say it pretty much forces you to change all the links in the chain at once.

The current Spamcan 28" WS CRT has two SCARTs and 4 devices connected to it, this still causes mental turmoil for SWMBO and the Spamettes, lord knows what would happen if I had to route it all through one SCART with a switcher.
>>The situation with SCARTs on flat panel TVs is a bit odd, many of the cheap supermarket brand sets have two SCARTs, yet most of the mid price sets from known brands only have one.>>

My virtually top range nine-month-old 42in Panasonic (non 3D) has two fully wired Scart sockets; one is used for a VCR.
 Connecting VCR to TV - Robbie34
Should have read to the bottom.

Same link as above.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Wed 12 Jan 11 at 10:16
...This web site tells you how to connect your various boxes...

The connection wizard on that site is pre-HDMI, so now not much use for anyone buying new equipment.

>> The connection wizard on that site is pre-HDMI,

It answers the OP's question though about scart connections.
>> >> The connection wizard on that site is pre-HDMI,
>>
>> It answers the OP's question though about scart connections.
>>
Yeah, I was trying to find the same link from previous discussions on this subject here and there but you beat me to it.
Latest Forum Posts