Non-motoring > Dead heat. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 22

Dead heat. - Dog
Worcester Council is considering using the heat generated from its Crematorium to heat the local bathing pool.

I asked the missus for her views on the subject, and she (like I) wasn't over keen on the idea.

The thought of my Auntie Mable providing heat so Tristram & Charlotte can swim in a heated pool, beggars belief in my not-so humble opinion.
 Dead heat. - Focusless
Perhaps it would have been a good idea if they hadn't told anyone about it :)
 Dead heat. - Dog
>>Perhaps it would have been a good idea if they hadn't told anyone about it :) <<

It would have come out eventually via the terrorflag or wikileaks :)

The story reminds me of 2 of my favorite films - Soylent Green & Logans Run :(
 Dead heat. - Tooslow
I don't see the problem. The heat is from the incinerator, as I understand it. Aunt Mable is contributing little to it and she always was keen on helping out in the community anyway.
John
 Dead heat. - L'escargot
I would imagine that most of the heat is produced by the combustion of the fuel, with relatively little being produced by the combustion of the body. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cremation
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 14:29
 Dead heat. - R.P.
Nawt wrong with it in my 'umble - makes sense on a VFM and environmental front.
 Dead heat. - Focusless
It wouldn't bother me, but I find it strange that the council would propose it - surely they anticipated that a lot of people would feel uneasy about it?
 Dead heat. - Zero
I am at a loss to understand how anyone could prefer heat to be wasted up a chimney, and not have it harnessed to another, more productive, use.
 Dead heat. - Tooslow
If you don't want it, send it round to my house.

Exit stage left muttering about the cost of heating oil and folks who can set their thermostats to TWENTY ONE!!!

:-)

John
 Dead heat. - Cliff Pope
>> If you don't want it, send it round to my house.
>>
>> >>

No, I think grieving relatives would probably prefer a decent Christian burial, not disposal on the quiet in your basement boiler.
 Dead heat. - Iffy
The fuss is beyond me, too.

It's not as if the swimmers are being asked to eat fellow survivors after a plane crash in the Andes.

Or their armies or leggies. :)

Dead heat. - Dog
It's the initial 'thought' that makes me a tad uneasy, but as has been pointed out - most of the heat is generated by the incinerator anyway so Mable wont lose any sleep over the idea now ... Zzzzzzzzzz.
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 14:40
 Dead heat. - madf
As most cremation gases settle on arable fields and are recycled through cows' milk or veggies, I fail to see the issues...All a lot of hot air...
Last edited by: madf on Tue 25 Jan 11 at 14:42
 Dead heat. - Gopher
Manure is still spread on the fields and it wasn't that long ago that human waste was used, people still ate the produce.
 Dead heat. - Old Navy
Our landfill site produces methane and hot water to heat the council buildings, (pool, leisure centre, offices, etc). Heat is heat, just like not being able to tell the difference between nuclear and coal generated electricity.
 Dead heat. - Armel Coussine
I hoped this thread would be about the British Ferrari owner who was clocked at 160 racing a Porsche in the South of France. They stopped at a traffic light (damn mimsing wimps) and both had their jalopies seized by Vieux Guillaume.

Tee hee.
 Dead heat. - madf
We should not mock the misfortunes of others.

Rofl.
 Dead heat. - smokie
Top marks for the thread title Dog, made me laugh once I read the content
 Dead heat. - Bellboy
yes
warmed my bones to read it too
 Dead heat. - Dog
>>Top marks for the thread title Dog, made me laugh once I read the content<<

Compliments of 'Drive' on Radio 5 ... Live :)
 Dead heat. - Stuu
A typical OMG how can they do that story which tends to gloss over the reality of it.

If your sending your loved ones to be burnt to ash, quite why you would exercise a preference over whether you stick the heat into the atmosphere or heat a local pool I dont know.

Not like the dead relative is going to care and the way the story reads, its as if dead bodies will be popping up in the pool or they intend to sprinkle the ash in the pool, such is the reaction. Its a bit of waste heat for goodness sake.
 Dead heat. - BiggerBadderDave
They'll be able to heat Lake Windermere when my mother-in-law dies.
 Dead heat. - Tooslow
Let me know, I'll get my cozzie ready.
John
Last edited by: Tooslow on Wed 26 Jan 11 at 10:21
Latest Forum Posts