Non-motoring > dust on camera sensors Buying / Selling
Thread Author: gramar Replies: 6

dust on camera sensors - gramar
Following my previous thread on upgrading to a Sony Nex 5 - and thanks to all who responded - the jury's still out! It's led me to another poser. I've been reading a number of camera reviews and come across the problem cameras apparently still have with dust on sensors despite the introduction of dust removal technology. It made me wonder -----

Do compact cameras get dust on their sensors too? or is it just a problem for cameras with interchangeable lenses?

If so perhaps instead I'll take a look at some super zoom cameras such as the Fuji Finepix HS10 and the still available Panasonic FZ38.
 dust on camera sensors - CGNorwich
Dust on on sensors is basically a problem of DSLRs. Having said that the automatic cleaning on my Nikon is effective and never really had much of a problem.

At the end of of the day it isn't difficult to remove a slight imperfection anyway with your software should a bit of dust end up on your sensor. Unless you are intending to produce very large prints and are a perfectionist obsessed with any imperfection in the image I wouldn't worry about it. I certainly would not let it affect my choice of camera
 dust on camera sensors - Stuartli
It does, as CTGNorwich rightly points out, only apply to DSLRs. Although my Nikon D90 has a cleaning method in the menu if, by any chance, I do change lenses, I make sure that the camera's lens mount is always facing downwards.

But the 18-105mm zoom lens covers virtually all requirements, so dust on the sensor has not proved a problem (the sensors are far smaller than the 35mm film equivalent, so any dust one them can/could prove more of a nuisance).
 dust on camera sensors - rtj70
Applies to DSLRs and other removable lens cameras such as the new Sony Alpha NEX-3, Sony SLT A-55, Samsung NX100, Olympus PEN series, Pansonic Lumix G series, etc.
 dust on camera sensors - Tooslow
I've had no problem in 3 years. A sensor clean runs automatically from time to time as you switch it off. If you buy a DSLR will you be buying more than one lens? If you are only using one it's a bit of a non issue.
John
 dust on camera sensors - rtj70
I have not had an issue with my Sony DSLR (it vibrates the sensor to clean it and has a sticky area to catch the dust) nor my newer Panasonic Lumix G2. The latter has the sensor exposes during lens changes but a DSLR doesn't - the mirror is in the way.
 dust on camera sensors - Haywain
I have a Nikon D80 and I learned about the horrors of dust on the sensor after swapping between the standard 18-70mm Nikon lens and a Tamron 55-200mm. I had been regularly changing lenses at a local outdoor show on a hot June day when enthusiastic drivers were filling the air with dust, while traction engines, one powering a massive circular saw, were throwing out smuts and sawdust. A couple of spots appeared on almost every exposure for the afternoon.

I bought myself a Nikon 18-200mm lens - and it's wonderful. Whilst the reviewers will tell you that its optics aren't perfect, the compelling arguments in its favour are the convenience of only having to carry one lens and the avoidance of the dust issue.
Latest Forum Posts