Non-motoring > Not just cars un road worthy. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 19

Not just cars un road worthy. - Bigtee
But ships this lot was stopped and inpounded by the coastguard read down the list near the bottom of the list of faults.

hmcoastguard.blogspot.com/2011/01/7-foreign-ships-under-detention-in-uk.html
 Not just cars un road worthy. - MD
Quite worrying really.
 Not just cars un road worthy. - Cliff Pope
It's hardly the awful list the title suggests.

Ship's plating wafer thin and holed when inspector tapped it?
Navigation lights not working?
Inadequate attachment of upperworks to hull?
Reverse gear inopperative?
No insurance?
Captain's qualifications found to be bogus?

I've been guilty of sometimes failing to provide sufficient fruit and vegetables too.
 Not just cars un road worthy. - Alanovich
Here we go again. :-(
 Not just cars un road worthy. - sooty123
Not really surprising a lot of shipping with poor standards around the world, mainly flying flags of convenience.
 Not just cars un road worthy. - Iffy
...Here we go again. :-(...

Quite right, these ships are under a foreign flag, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency should pretend the faults don't exist.

Far better to be dishonest than risk offending the Guardianistas.

And the most stupid thing is I doubt the ship owners (the foreigners) could care less.

They couldn't care about their ship and its crew, so I doubt a ticking off by a few coastguard fellas from another country is going to worry them over much.

Good grief. Staggering.
 Not just cars un road worthy. - Bellboy
bit of oil here and there
some gas cylinders in wrong demarcation zone
its like here i see the fire brigade 4 times a year lately
maybe over staffing levels mean faults found to justify jobs?
Don't be daft, Bellboy. It's the foreigners. They're going to get us all killed.
dont go on an old steamer then ;-)
Facts is facts.

The faults were found, they've been dealt with, or not in the case of the ships still detained.

Most people aren't stupid and can judge the seriousness of the faults for themselves, and if the response is appropriate.

As others have said, most of it is 'broken bulb' territory.

One thing's for sure, nationality doesn't come into it - except for those who obsessively hunt for racism where none exists.

>> except for those who obsessively
>> hunt for racism where none exists.

Would never dream of mentioning that word in this context. Xenophobia, however........

One wonders why our attention is being drawn to this story, and why it is being implicitly compared to the "scandal" of foreign vehicles on our roads which are sub standard.

Were there to be evidence of compliance to all regulations by all owners of British registered vehicles and ships, then perhaps the "foreign" angle of this story would be relevant.

They're not, so it isn't.

The real sotry is: "Some ships and vehicles in the UK are failing to comply to safety standards and procedures".

That, however, doesn't shift the Daily Wail.

"Foreign ships and vehicles visiting the UK are failing to comply with safety standards and regulations" does, because it appeals to prejudices.

This is an absolute non-story.
...This is an absolute non-story...

Is it in Britain's finest newspaper?

I've not checked.

The link is to a press release from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, so at least we are seeing it as produced.

>> Is it in Britain's finest newspaper?

Tick tock.
 Not just cars un road worthy. - sooty123

>>
>> This is an absolute non-story.
>>

Not really it highlights the problem and standards of those who fly the flags such as Panama and Liberia many of them are fine, but plenty are not. It's not an absolute but generally if you were to be look out for poor standards, crew abuse and sub minimum manning you would more than likely find them on such ships rather than those still flagged in the UK.
 Not just cars un road worthy. - BiggerBadderDave
"i see the fire brigade 4 times a year"

Do you live next door to BobbyG?
not knowingly
 Not just cars un road worthy. - BiggerBadderDave
You'd know if you did.
 Not just cars un road worthy. - Zero
The galley need cleaning? Blimey good job cleanliness is not part of the MOT
 Not just cars un road worthy. - Tooslow
Sorry sir, a half eaten mint imperial under the driver's seat! Can't let it on the road like that.
John
Latest Forum Posts