Non-motoring > Two-bottle LPG system Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 17

Two-bottle LPG system - L'escargot
In a two-bottle LPG system with an automatic changeover valve, is it possible for the automatic changeover between the two bottles to take place without the bottle-empty indicator changing to red?
 Two-bottle LPG system - MD
Yes
 Two-bottle LPG system - Iffy
Yes again.

I have two propane bottles at the caravan with switchover valve.

With the switch in the central position, the valve indicator will not appear red, but will allow both bottles to empty.

To get the most out of each bottle, it is best to run with the tap on one bottle open, and the other shut.

When the bottle is empty, close the tap on the empty one and open the tap on the full one.

Of course, this means the gas will 'run out' in use, but I can switch mine over leaning out of the caravan window.

Leave both bottles open.
...Leave both bottles open...

Dunno if it's true, but the site wisdom is leaving both bottle valves open doesn't tend to fully empty either bottle.

But the main problem would be running out completely.

By emptying one bottle at a time, you can replace the empty bottle before bottle number two is empty, ensuring gas at all times.

Two-bottle LPG system - Manatee
Well an auto changeover valve can't work with a bottle valve closed can it?

I'd guess that on caravans and boats most people don't use auto-changeover though, even if they have the right valve. When the bottles are in a locker out of sight it's better to know when a bottle empties so you can keep "one full and one on" and never be without gas for the sake of a temporary interruption.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 7 Feb 11 at 20:53
With both open I find mine empty OK.
Another 'tip' to get more out is to give the near-empty bottle a shake.

I'm not convinced by that one, either.

Two-bottle LPG system - Bigtee
How much is a bottle of gas?
...How much is a bottle of gas?...

Varies, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I'm paying just under £50 for a 43kg bottle of propane - that's the tall bottle which is about as big as you'll see in a domestic setting.

That price is competitive, some places charge more.

The price per kg is much higher for the smaller bottles.
 Two-bottle LPG system - Manatee
e.g. a 6Kg refill is £19.
 Two-bottle LPG system - Bigtee
Thanks.

I bought a camping gas bottle blue one and that was a refil something like £20.00 ish.

To buy it was £45.00 so i got my own bottle found it in a yard to exchange.

£50.00 for a large bottle is good for the summer months i like the bbq and are coals not gas so it would last a while.
...I bought a camping gas bottle blue one and that was a refil something like £20.00 ish...

The blue bottle is butane, I use propane - orange bottle - at the caravan.

I'm not sure, but I think butane may generally be a bit more expensive than propane.

Worth shopping around, Calor tends to be dearest.

They dominate the market, but there are cheaper suppliers, although some use a different regulator - the bit that clamps onto the top of the bottle.

Regulators are easy enough to change, but they cost a few quid which could easily wipe out any saving if you are not going to be buying many bottles.

Two-bottle LPG system - sherlock47
>>Another 'tip' to get more out is to give the near-empty bottle a shake.<<

Much better to heat it up, a blow lamp may not be the ideal solution:)
 Two-bottle LPG system - BiggerBadderDave
"Of course, this means the gas will 'run out' in use, but I can switch mine over leaning out of the caravan window."

tinyurl.com/5ulrmq5
...tinyurl.com/5ulrmq5...

BBD,

Very good.

I sometimes think your wit is deserving of a wider audience, and this is one of those times.
 Two-bottle LPG system - L'escargot
>> Yes
>>

Is that because of a fault in the changeover valve? I suspect that the bottle that was in use has run out and changeover has taken place but the indicator hasn't turned to red.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 8 Feb 11 at 09:05
 Two-bottle LPG system - Telb
If you're using Calor lite bottles, that's entirely possible. The gauge on them is notoriously unreliable.
Latest Forum Posts