Non-motoring > Spring has sprung... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Arctophile Replies: 85

Spring has sprung... - Arctophile
...well at least it seems to have made a start here in the soft underbelly of the south.

Had a few outings to National Trust properties to see the snowdrops over the last week or so. It seems to be a good year for them. Kingston Lacey in Dorset has a particularly fine display. The only problem is dodging the all other retirees enjoying the rare sunbeams.

Top down in the MX-5 on the way home as well.

The daffodils are on the way up too and judging by the number of buds it should be a bumper year for them. We had our first daffodil flower in a sheltered spot in the garden last week.

So, any sign of spring in your area?
 Spring has sprung... - Iffy
...So, any sign of spring in your area?...

Not quite what you meant, but nonetheless signs of better weather.

A couple of convertibles - including mine - with the top down.

My neighbour firing up his Ducati for his first ride this year.

Spring has sprung... - Runfer D'Hills
Indeed, our local youngsters have started removing their unfeasably large woolly hats and hoods to show off their head tattoos. I expect they'll soon be indulging in a little light outdoor fighting or other harmless tomfoolery after a couple of shandies.
 Spring has sprung... - R.P.
My Rab summit jacket felt a little too warm today for the first time.
 Spring has sprung... - Zero
Yup snowdrops abound, the grapevine has buds, the catkins are green and hanging on some of the trees, the birds are starting to sing, and the grass has started to grow

It does feel spring like, I hope a late freeze doesn't kill it all.
 Spring has sprung... - Stuu
Snowdrops here and my roses are budding up, infact most things are now, some of my shrubs are a few weeks away from full bloom.
 Spring has sprung... - henry k
Loads of things springing in my area.
Carpets of daffs on and around the Oxshott roundabout under the A3.
Today I have been slashing down my Clematis as most are now in bud and the new Wollemi Pine I am looking after for son is looking good.
 Spring has sprung... - legacylad
Spring is definitely on the way.
My 'customers' have stopped trying to steal down jackets and are moving on to other garments.
I paid for mine ! :-)
Going to Scotland tomorrow. Still Botticelli up there...
 Spring has sprung... - Skoda
Summer was last weekend humph. It was a good one this year.
 Spring has sprung... - bathtub tom
I've got a rhododendron in flower on my patio and I'm thinking of getting the mower out to sharpen the blades - strange my neighbour's not shaved his lawn yet.
 Spring has sprung... - Robin O'Reliant
It isn't really spring until skirts get short enough to be a distraction while driving.
...It isn't really spring until skirts get short enough to be a distraction while driving...

There speaks an ex-driving instructor. :)

Spring has sprung... - CGNorwich
Rhubarb's up on the allotment
 Spring has sprung... - Stuartli
It's winter. Spring doesn't start until around March 21st....:-)
...It's winter. Spring doesn't start until around March 21st....:-) ...

It's all the fault of climate change.

I know that's right because I saw it on BBC news.
 Spring has sprung... - Pat
I noticed last weekend that the Fen has turned from a mass of black fields to green ones,
In the garden the Clematis buds are swelling and the fish are at the top of the water for most of the day and have been fed.
No frog spawn yet though.

Pat
 Spring has sprung... - Cliff Pope
>>
>> No frog spawn yet though.
>
>>

I've noticed we get year-round frog spawn now. The stuff they laid, if that is the word, last autumn all got frozen, but the latest batch may stand a better chance.

Another change is that the cats seem to like it. They drag it out of the pond and then sit munching blobs of jelly.
 Spring has sprung... - Dog
>>It's all the fault of climate change.

I know that's right because I saw it on BBC news.<<

I'll believe it when I read it in The Daily Mail, which we 'take' on Saturdays.
 Spring has sprung... - Dave
Not here, it hasn't.

A couple of weeks ago we had a couple of days above zero. Some of the snow melted and it seemed like spring was in the air. Unfortunately it didn't last long, as it's not been above -5 ever since and we had some fresh snow. Looking at the 5 day weather forecast, it says night time temperatures will be -16, -14, -13, -12, -12, - so at least it's getting warmer!
 Spring has sprung... - madf
Lots of snowdrops here, a few crocuses. On warm days, my bees come out for a quick crap and if very warm will gather crocus pollen.
Still, days like that are rare.. it's 5C, damp and very chilly..
Frog spwan? If it came now, it would be frozen as more frosts to come.. Mid March is normal..around here.

Been planting raspberries (Autumn fruiting Polka) and after 30 minutes this am putting up posts for wires, I gave up with numb hands.

Winter ends in March...or May... We have had snow in June...All we need is an Iceland volcano to really erupt and winter will last till 2012....

Spring has sprung... - Tooslow
Well at the top end of Cheshire snowdrops are at their peak.

I was a bit miffed a few years ago seeing an ad for the snowdrops at Anglesey Abbey. It's not on Anglesey. :-(

John
 Spring has sprung... - Fenlander
We're assuming spring has arrived. Just bought new wheel bearings for the Hayterette and off to the Cotswolds for half-term to put it to work.
>> We're assuming spring has arrived. Just bought new wheel bearings for the Hayterette >>

My Hayterette is 38 and never had new wheel bearings yet.. New blades yes ...
>> We're assuming spring has arrived. Just bought new wheel bearings for the Hayterette and off
>> to the Cotswolds for half-term to put it to work.

Is the C5 in the Garage again? will all the family and dogs fit?
 Spring has sprung... - Fenlander
>>>Is the C5 in the Garage again? will all the family and dogs fit?

Ha ha... carrying the Hayterette for Cotswold duties is now a prime requirement for our car and dictates minimum dimensions of its loadspace.

>>>My Hayterette is 38 and never had new wheel bearings yet.

Mine is just 25 but it is used as a cultivator so bearings get some stick. I'd just noticed a bit of uneven tyre wear as the tracking varies so thought I'd treat it. Bit of a shock though as 4 brgs to do 2 wheels came to £25! Apparently they would have been £8 for 95% of the Hayterettes but we have the pro duty model and they have an exclusive bearing... wouldn't you know it.
 Spring has sprung... - Mapmaker
The snowdrops at Anglesey Abbey are great. I cannot speak for the ones at Plas Newydd.
Snow on moors Saturday, 3C yesterday, sleet this am when I was running..

Feels like winter , looks like winter...
You were right madf, I saw the first frog spawn in the pond yesterday.
I also counted 14 frogs doing what frogs do best at this time of year so there is more to come yet!
They are so noisy at this time of the year.

At moment though it is -1 degree so the frost is not over yet, despite spending yesterday digging out and moving plants that didn't fare well during December.

Pat
 Spring has sprung... - Focusless
Definitely nice here in Reading for the first time in ages - just took the dog out in t-shirt, jumper and thin coat (me, not the dog), but that was at least 2 items too many.

Give it another few months and the field where I walk him might even have dried out enough so he doesn't come home covered in mud.
 Spring has sprung... - Stuartli
Currently a light breeze, wispy cloud, sunshine and 13 degrees C (55 degrees F) here on the North West coast - glorious..:-)
Same here - I was tempted to give the RT an airing.
 Spring has sprung... - bathtub tom
Just in time for the Race Retro at Stoneleigh. www.raceretro.com/

Anyone else going?
 Spring has sprung... - Perky Penguin
Marvellous display of snowdrops, and aconites, at Little Ponton Hall nr Grantham. Probably still visible but the gardens are private and were just open for one weekend and the proceeds to charity.

I realise the dates will vary in different parts of the country but anybody want to offer a date for the first lamb seen outdoors in their area? I'll try for 14th March nr Melton Mowbray. Other offers?
Sorry me old mate

First lamb seen YESTERDAY in a field alongside the A52 between the A1 and A46.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 14:59
Bother! What do I know about the workings of Mother Nature? That's near me too - I would have thought South Coast and West Country first but we may not have reporters down there!
They were quite big too, About two weeks old I reckon.
Would that be normal timing or do you think they are early this year? I want to get it right next year, if I live that long and the question arises again!!!!!
Seems early to me.

Edit, Think the early snow has tricked nature into bringing spring forward.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 15:14
 Spring has sprung... - crocks
I'm a townie so unlikely to see one.
But this farming forum talks of one born on 5th January in County Durham!
farmingforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44191
Recalling the weather in Durham in the first week of January, I'd say that would not have been oudoors and gambolling in the fields, unless equipped with thermals and snow shoes!
Beautiful day here, 57 degrees and most of the day gardening in just a T shirt.
Should have some frog spawn soon as I spotted them in the pond today and the fish have been spawning too.

Bet I won't be able to move tomorrow but it'll be a happy stiffness!

Maybe I should reword that..

Pat
 Spring has sprung... - Ted
>>most of the day gardening in just a T
>> shirt.

Maybe you should reword that bit as well Patty.

Ted
I don't care:)

It's the best day I've had since last October!

Pat
If I carry my lamb chops outside before I put them in the oven will that count?

Pat
 Spring has sprung... - Bromptonaut
Yesterday and today I've had 14:30 or thereabouts meetings in Victoria. Biked over from my office near Lincoln's Inn both times.

Yesterday was cold, wet & miserable but no tourists and traffic moving freely. Today's warm and definitely springlike, really gloriuos even riding on the Embankment. But Parliament Square's full of tourists all stepping out inot the traffic and generally creating mayhem.

Pretty damn nice here in Arcadia, as well !
Got the tools out, demolished an old panel and unused door in the front of the workshop.
Made some of the framing and fitted a double glazed unit....never had natural light in there !

Got tired so fitted some temporary woodwork for overnight security and came in for a coffee and a grice at t'interweb.
Phone rang with a couple of jobs, supply/fit a door mirror to a C1 tomorow and 2 C1s for MOT on Tuesday....what it is to be indispensible !

Ted
 Spring has sprung... - Arctophile
Just returned from a 6 mile walk along the Kennet & Avon canal and surrounding countryside - brightened up considerably after our picnic lunch.

Still plenty of snowdrops about.

Rain forecast for tomorrow :-(
Last edited by: Arctophile on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 17:06
Lambs being first born in spring are a townee's impression of a bygone age.
Lots of ways for shepherds to manage sheep which can lead to lambing in autumn and winter, as well as spring.

One reason for early lambing is to have the 'new season' meat available for Easter.

www.sheep101.info/201/lambingsystem.html
My two beehives were a buzz of activity all day , clearing out their dead, collecting pollen from crocuses and clearing their bowels after winter.. (a long time to wait for the toilet)

Went to our local apiary this pm and all the hives were similar.. A foretaste of spring.. With the weather forecast cold and wet for the next week, will not see them again for a while. Roll on March!
 Spring has sprung... - Bellboy
nicest day ive seen in 4 months today
absolutely gorgeous it were
It were 'ere as well - bit windy but a washing line full of clothes has dried nicely.
Manage to get your pinny ironed and a colour on your hair too?

:-))
 Spring has sprung... - Dave_
>> Just returned from a 6 mile walk

Just returned from a 14 mile cycle ride with my daughter - up the top of Bardon Hill (912ft) then over to Thringstone for a pub lunch and a nose around the ruins at Grace Dieu. 57F here and brilliant sunshine all day, still a touch muddy in the shady bits though. Malvern Hills just about visible in the distance.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 19:08
...Malvern Hills just about visible in the distance...

That's a fair distance from Leics, Dave, about 60 miles in a straight line.
 Spring has sprung... - Robin O'Reliant
Still no female thigh on view.

There's a way to go yet.
 Spring has sprung... - corax
>> ...Malvern Hills just about visible in the distance...

I've stood on Worcester Beacon early in the morning and watched the sun come up - fantastic. I loved looking at the green tapestry of Herefordshire stretching out into the distance from the top of the Malvern Hills.
Very nice hotel up on the Malvern Hills with views East across the Vale Of Evesham. Google for Cottage in the Woods.
I prefer the Green Dragon in Hereford if you are out that way, great breakfasts.
Feel the need for some Elgar after all that....
>> That's a fair distance from Leics, Dave

It wasn't too hazy today, the Malvern hills were quite distinctive on the horizon. When I used to deliver around Birmingham and the West Midlands I went up to Malvern about once a week so they're quite an easy formation to recognise at a distance. Lincoln cathedral should be visible in the other direction but the view is blocked by trees on the summit at Bardon.

I've seen it before from Beacon Hill, 3 miles to the east, guided by the toposcope there.

>> Feel the need for some Elgar

The ruins at Grace Dieu were written about by Wordsworth in the 19th C. We've had quite a cultured afternoon all in all!
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 20:34
...the Malvern hills were quite distinctive on the horizon...

I went to school a few miles away, and the Malverns were known locally for their prominence.

It was said that going due east the nearest higher hills are the Urals.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 20:39
>> It was said that going due east the nearest higher hills are the Urals.

I was given to understand the hill I was up today is the highest point between the Malverns and the North Sea.
Are colliery slag heaps classed as hills these days then?
>> Are colliery slag heaps classed as hills these days then?

Cheek. Bardon is built on 600m year old granite I'll have you know, they do quite a lot of quarrying there.

The colliery slag heaps are (literally) at the end of my back garden:
www.leics.gov.uk/snibston.htm :)
...Are colliery slag heaps classed as hills these days then...

Some of the slag heaps in the former County Durham coalfield are as big as hills.
The origin of the name is Welsh - - believe it or not. Moelfryn (a bare hill)
Good job the English invaded and got the spelling right then.
I didn't think that spelling mattered Zero.
. edit

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 21:25
Wrong thread Zeddo ?
Yeah, cross threaded you may say!
The last time ( and only time ) I went to Malvern was to deliver a wrecked Morgan to the factory.

They gave me a look round. I think they were putting Ford CVH lumps in some of the cars then.

Renaissance man today, me. Did all my washing this morning, went to the post office, came back and dried all me shirts. Read the paper, watched Homes under the hammer then got on with the workshop job.
Later on, I made dinner, Tuna pasta with shallots and mushrooms, ready for SWM who arrived home at 7.15 after a full day looking after 8 month old monster.......gagging for a large vino !

A very satisfying day, largely spent alone, except the window cleaner and the milkman came and took all my cash off me, leaving me with 50p !

Ted

Last edited by: Ted on Thu 24 Feb 11 at 23:44
 Spring has sprung... - Roger.
Spring is sprung, the grass is riz
I wonder where the birdies is.
 Spring has sprung... - Cliff Pope
In my tum,
every one,
purrs pussy cat
now nicely fat.
A Cock Pheasant that walks with a very bad limp visits our garden regularly to harvest up the seed dropped from the bird feeders and I caught our Siamese eying him up yesterday.

I suspect he may have come off worse if I hadn't intervened and fetched him in.

Pat
>> Spring is sprung, the grass is riz
>> I wonder where the birdies is.

Under the spreading chestmut tree
the village blacksmith snoozes.
No horse, since 1893,
has come to him for shoeses.

Ted
>>
 Spring has sprung... - devonite
>>Moelfryn (a bare hill)<><

Sounds more like a Gypsy recipe to me! akin to baked Hedgehog! ;-)
Devon has old British/Celtic origins as well.
 Spring has sprung... - Alanovich
Of course it does. The English, as Zero rightly points out, are rebranded invaders.
Depending on whose history you read, but there is very strong evidence that the Anglo-Saxons ethnically cleansed the old British (Brythoiaid) and went as far as eliminating all traces of the places that had Celtic names. London and Dover are other Brythonegly influenced names.
 Spring has sprung... - Armel Coussine
That's nothing. The Scots ate everyone they met when they invaded western Scotland from their last stepping stone, Northern Ireland. The poor Picts were terrified and those not yet devoured fled to Newcastle.
 Spring has sprung... - Alanovich
Ah, but the Picts were just another sort of Celt who got there first.

Always amuses me when I visit Serbia that they take so much pride in the fact that a Celtic tribe once had its capital city where Belgrade now sits. The Romans called it Singidunum. They don't know what the Celts called it, probably because they didn't leave any written record behind them on their way to France/Britain/Galicia, I imagine.

There's a widely held myth there that the Scots and the Serbs are actually the same tribe. My mother-in-law is of that particualr type which believes this kind of nonsense.
>> Depending on whose history you read, but there is very strong evidence that the Anglo-Saxons
>> ethnically cleansed the old British (Brythoiaid) and went as far as eliminating all traces of
>> the places that had Celtic names. London and Dover are other Brythonegly influenced names.

Of course, you have to clear the bugs from the bed.

But then I am of Norman Extraction, so we cleaned the bugs that cleaned the bugs from the bed.
Latest Forum Posts