Non-motoring > Bicycle. Green Issues
Thread Author: - Replies: 68

Bicycle. - -
www.cycleking.co.uk/AMMACO-SUBURBAN-ALLOY-GENTS-3-3-product-30.html

Tempted by one of these, i live about a mile from my present work, and want something reasonably light and comfortable.
Will use it for pleasure riding in the good weather too...not bothered about off roading as such.
I could go used but i want something fairly strudy for me 14 and half stone (going down to 13).

I'd really like a retro bike like a Swimm Coffee or similar and i don't mind stumping up to £500 for a really nice ride, but if i get something too nice some toerag will lift it.

Thoughts please.
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
One initial thought. 22" is a big frame to suit the long legged; do you fit that category?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 20:35
 Bicycle. - -
6ft with a 32" inside leg...i think the frame will be right but years since i bought a bike.
 Bicycle. - Runfer D'Hills
Here you go GB. Great bikes for the money.

tinyurl.com/6doeggr - links to www.halfords.com/
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 21:32
 Bicycle. - -
Looks nice Humph, but i want proper fitted mudguards, not clip on aftermarket.

I'd really like a modern version of a Sturmey Archer 4 speed, a leather soft sprung saddle and old fashioned bendy round handle bar, dyno hubs, and that lovely ticking sound that those old bikes had.:-)

Pashley would be lovely if we lived in a country where thieves were dealt with.

Probike any good?
 Bicycle. - Perky Penguin
You'll need to buy some mudguards for that. I got a very adequate short commute bike for £150, nice gear changes with twist grips on the handle bars, 7 speed on the rear and a 3 ring sprocket on the crank = 21 speeds. A set of LED lights and off to the pub I go!
 Bicycle. - MD
>>and off to the pub I go!
>>
W w w wait for me PP
 Bicycle. - MD
>> I'd really like a retro bike like a Swimm Coffee or similar and i don't
>> mind stumping up to £500 for a really nice ride, but if i get something
>> too nice some toerag will lift it.
>>
>> Thoughts please.
>>
As you is my bestest mate geezer you av da bike u is wanting. I will stump up de xtra for de baseball bat to 'do' dese toerags wiv. deal Bro?
Have shufti on here GB...

www.bikeradar.com/
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
>> Have shufti on here GB...
>>
>> www.bikeradar.com/

Or here

www.cyclechat.net/
 Bicycle. - Perky Penguin
I got a very adequate short commute bike for £150, nice gear changes with twist grips on the handle bars, 7 speed on the rear and a 3 ring sprocket on the crank = 21 speeds. A set of LED lights and off to the pub I go!

I went a local to a local town centre bike shop rather than Halfords. Mine is an Optima Richmond, made in UK and none the worse for that!

www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/products/Optima_Richmond_Gents_2008-16-0.html
 Bicycle. - Iffy
Evans are known to be proper bike shops:

www.evanscycles.com/

I think what you want is often called a hybrid.

Bicycle. - RattleandSmoke
Looks like a devent bike for the money, do gimicks such as full suspension and disc brakes. Just simple V brakes and functionality.

Or you could go to ASDA and buy one with a full suspension and disc brakes for £49.95 you know you want to!!

My bike is actually too small, it is an 18" frame and I am 6ft so I can't get any speed on it.

Will use it for another year and then trade it in for something much more comfortable when I have a bit more money.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 21:00
 Bicycle. - Old Navy
>> I think what you want is often called a hybrid.
>>
>>
I have a hybrid bike, It is a touring bike with 21 speeds and mountain bike brakes.

Fast and comfortable.
 Bicycle. - -
Thanks lads, some interesting reading there.

Orf ter bed, got to be up at 03.30 again.;)
 Bicycle. - RattleandSmoke
I wish I had bought one, but my next will be a hybrid. I don't ride on many roads but I do ride a lot on paved cycle ways and in countryside tracks (I live near countryside despite living in the middle of Manchester).

My bike sums up why I will never go to Halfords ever again. I was miss sold it on every level but I have learnt that lesson.

The saddle is too hard too but I will replacing that very soon. Intend to get it out and give it a good service within the next week weather permiting.

Just a quck question I have an oil sprayer I got from the pound shop which will be perfect for lubricating the chain. Can I use the old 20/50 mineral I have left from my first Fiesta?
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 21:11
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
I think it's reasonable value at the advertised price. Two things give me comfort; the absence of suspension and the 700C tyres rather than 26" ATB tractor jobbies. Assume they're 700*32 or greater. Suspension at this price point is just a sales add on, it adds weight & saps the rider's energy while it's provision sucks quality from other components. Proper sprayguards and a rack are plus points as well.

Ammaco & Pro Bike (mentioned up thread) produce OK bikes to a price. If your dabbling with a return to cycling and the bug gets you you'll want to upgrade. But if you just want to commute and potter round the lanes or on the Brampton Valley Way/round Pitsford then one of these should be ffp. I don't like their folders but suspect they're a better product than Halford's Apollo or some of the carp sold through camping stores or ships chandlers.

Locally. I'd regard Cycle King as a discounter of basic bikes. If I was looking for advice and a quality product in Northampton I'd be going to Newlec or Oakley.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 21:22
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
>> Locally. I'd regard Cycle King as a discounter of basic bikes. If I was looking
>> for advice and a quality product in Northampton I'd be going to Newlec or Oakley.

Read again that looks harsher than it was meant. CK sell bikes off the peg and do it OK.
GB says he's 6' with a 32" leg. I want advise him to look at a 20" frame size. What do you think Bromptonaut. ( He's gone to bed so we can talk about him ) !

:-)
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
As I said 22" is a big frame. My inside leg is around 30/31. The ATB I bought c2002 is 19" (21 was definitely too big). I think the Dawes Galaxy tourer is 20 but all I can say with certainty is that I bought it in 1986 and it fits like a glove.

The Brommy is 'one size fits all' but anybody with an inseam over 32/33 needs a telescopic or extended seat tube unless they ride like Billy bandy knees.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 22:00
 Bicycle. - Slidingpillar
Bike in advert pic is not 22". Not going to bother working it out from measurements but from sight alone it's quite a bit smaller.

Notionally tempting, but I'd not recommend it. Alloy can have a limited life, and a cheap alloy frame is one way to prove it. Local church or scout group auction is the way. Bikes a plenty and a really good second hand one won't cost you anything like as much.
 Bicycle. - Hard Cheese

Looks fine to me for under £150 GB.

Bicycle. - bathtub tom
A relative got a bike from Sterling House, he liked it so much he bought his SWMBO one. I saw it and apart from the sprung saddle stem, I was impressed, it even had 'quick shifters' instead of the useless twist grips you usually get on cheap bikes.

I've got a Peugeot and I guess it's something cheap, 'bought in' and labelled up. I've seen the identical bike with a totally obscure name on it. It's rubbish, but good enough for me to hack around the locality. I think that unless you spend hundreds you're going to end up with cheap tat.

I like the look of this one, particularly as it's only got six gears. How many do you need?
www.sterlinghouse.co.uk/productdescription.php?prdgrp=KNIGHT01&rsno=0&n=Gents+Knightsbridge
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
>> Bike in advert pic is not 22". Not going to bother working it out from
>> measurements but from sight alone it's quite a bit smaller.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. 22" is at the top end of frame sizes and will have a long handlebar tube so as to keep frame geometry matched to the long seat tube. If GB's going inot the shop to try the bike out then fine but I think there's a high chance of needing to return it as too large if bought for home delivery.

A good s/h bike is a way to go if you know what you want and have the skills to chech for frame damage and to deal with any wants of repair. Friend got a lovely eighties 531 tube/Campag geared Raleight tourer off e-bay but he and his dad knew exactly what they were looking for.

At the advertised price I still think this is reasonable value. The orginal price quoted in the ad is in Dawes/Trek/Claud Butler territory and those brands would be a better bike.
 Bicycle. - DeeW
Better than a local church/scout sale is the local tip. Our local one has a stack to select from, some in brilliant condition, more often road/racing type than (decent) mountain bikes. About a fiver. An acquaintance buys them for the frames and then rebuilds with new bits.
 Bicycle. - Alanovich
How about one of these, GB? Ultimate town bike. They can go like the clappers with minimal effort! Very, very comfortable. Several million Dutch folk can't be wrong, they know their cycling.

www.dutchie.co.uk/bikes-dutch/
 Bicycle. - Bigtee
If your going to buy a bike and you have no idea how to build it or set it up buy from a bike shop not halfords with some monkey with a spanner.

Lots of good shops through country and some cracking deals.

That bike in the first link looks good. :-)
 Bicycle. - Fenlander
I'd not buy a new bike for myself I hadn't ridden... they all feel so different. Kids and Mrs F don't care so I get theirs on ebay. £300 bikes for £60... just beware the dodgy ex police auction sellers.
 Bicycle. - -
Thanks for the thoughts so far, lots to think about.
I'm going to try not to buy online, would prefer to see and feel what's what.

I like several of the suggestions...probably won't get the one i OP'd, it's not really what i wanted, drawn in by the bargain price i think...i like the Dutch jobbie's and the Sterling house old fashioned bike reminds me of the Shwinn Coffee that i like.
Suppose i really want old fashioned with modern parts, Retro probably covers it.
Would be quite content with as few as 3 gears, and proper gear changing as per Sturmey Archer.

Really looking forward to getting one.

Have to find a bike rack to go on the back of the MB for two bikes, it's having a swan neck towbar soon which i believe has an integral towball.

Is there such a thing as a towbar mounted bike rack that clamps to a swan neck bar?
 Bicycle. - Iffy
...I'm going to try not to buy online, would prefer to see and feel what's what...

I think that's a very good idea.

A good bike shop will provide genuine advice and service, unlike most retailers which are now what we used to call cash'n'carry.

Did you mention you need a bike rack GB?....

Bicycle. - -
Well as it 'appens i do need a bike rack.

No room in the boot now someone's stuffed an a 80 litre gas tank in there.:-)
Might be able to sort you out wiv a bike too. Package deal so to speak. Can't remember if you've got my email but I'm sure a mod would oblige if you wanted it.

I've got a now little used 20" steel framed non-sussed Pacific Aspen 21 speed. Slightly oversize tubing but subtle by modern standards. Used, but very usable. Currently fitted with knobbly tyres but would easily take hybrid rubber. Shove some mudguards on and Robert's your dad's brother. Oh, it's blue. £75 for the bike and the rack to you squire....

Bicycle. - boolean
Apparently LIDL will be having special offers on cycling gear from the 14th.
 Bicycle. - Cliff Pope
A mile from work? You could walk it in the time it takes to get the bike out.
It'll only get nicked anyway.
 Bicycle. - corax
>> Shove some mudguards on and Robert's your dad's
>> brother.

If you're looking for decent mudguards the SKS ones are good. I put some on my bike - they made it look better, and they're very tough with good mountings. And let's face it, for a 'chap' like yourself, you need to remain dignified whatever the state of the road :)

www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-road-mudguard-set/
Last edited by: corax on Fri 4 Mar 11 at 21:06
 Bicycle. - -
Hump...thanks but i really want a tourer/hybrid, might well go 3 or 4 speed yet depending, nice of you to offer me the bike rack too, wouldn't you miss it.:-)

Boolean...thanks i'll keep 'em peeled at Lidl's...i do like Lidl and Aldi, always come up with some handy gear.

Cliffe...don't mind a stroll, but i have to heft a quite heavy bag with all me gear in every day, and arms are like a chimp already, so pannier would be ideal, till the bag strap gets wound up in the spokes and i go a pearler.

Corax...that's a nice looking set, will be needing a full chainguard too, a 'chap' wouldn't be seen pedalling around with a bicycle clip spoiling the line of his cords...i wonder if Condor or St Bruno is best for staying alight whilst riding.;)

Couple of bikes i'm keeping an eye on here.
The first one is fairly local....ebay no..220745157860
This is unusual and i kind of like it..ebay no..290539452464

Thoughts?
 Bicycle. - Zero
" i have to heft a quite heavy bag with all me gear in every day, and arms are like a chimp already, so pannier would be ideal, till the bag strap gets wound up in the spokes and i go a pearler."

Rucksack. it means the centre of gravity is perfect on a bike.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 11:19
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
>> Rucksack. it means the centre of gravity is perfect on a bike.

IME a small rucker is OK for tools/waterproof/lock etc. Anything more & it presses on your back, creates a sweat patch, risks rubbing and bigger ones can obstruct your rearward vision. Add weight and CoG soon becomes a problem too.

Panniers or a saddlebag are much better and the recent models have 'clik-fit' systems avoiding the elasticated straps etc of the Karrimor Iberians I still have in the the loft. Bar bags are a good idea as well but tend to compete with lamps for handlebar space.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 5 Mar 11 at 17:32
 Bicycle. - Iffy
...IME a small rucker is OK for tools/waterproof/lock etc....

Nothing wrong with small rucksack, but preferably only carry soft items in it.

Bulky or hard items can be a safety hazard in an accident.

Bicycle. - Dog
>>Couple of bikes i'm keeping an eye on here.<<

I likes the Claud Butler, gord ... ere's the Ditch bike I 'won' on ebay for 50 sovs about 3 years ago,

It's a Sparta who still make bikes (mucho £££)

I like the 'sit up and beg' style of this bike - hope to put it to more use when we move to our new home, (fewer hills!)

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/5499377246/
 Bicycle. - Dog
>>ere's the Ditch bike I 'won' on ebay<<

Eh ... that should read Dutch :-D
 Bicycle. - -
That looks a comfy bike D, probably still be around long after we've stopped pedalling.
 Bicycle. - bathtub tom
>>Couple of bikes i'm keeping an eye on here.

I like the the Claud Butler, perfect for a 'gentleman's transport', if a little overpriced. It's ten years old and I guess it'll need new tyres - they're not cheap.

Do they auction rooms up near you? There's one in my local town where bargains are to be had and you can 'kick the tyres' first too.
 Bicycle. - -
>> Do they auction rooms up near you?

They do, but midweek, so not really an option for me at the moment.

I like that Claud Butler too, a traditional sort of modern bike, not too many gears either...never liked deraileur (speeling?) gears as a boy and haven't changed with time.

Probably OK at the starting price but don't think i'd be going any higher.
 Bicycle. - bathtub tom
Peacocks in Bedford usually have a good selection each Saturday, with viewing on Friday when you can enter a paper bid.

www.peacockauction.co.uk/pages/forthcoming/images/DSC05068.JPG

Be careful you don't get carried away bidding for other 'useful' stuff. ;>(
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
Any luck on the ebay bikes GB? The CB looks a nice bit of kit though I note again it's a large frame. There's some guidance on the site below.

www.bikeoutlet.co.uk/pages/The_Size.html
 Bicycle. - -
Hi Brompton.

Well i'm waiting on the CB, it's probably everything i need...if i get it for the starting price it would be reasonable but won't be pushing higher than that if at all.

I've contacted the fellow with the Batavus Boosterbike, a very strange machine that for some odd reason appeals to me, for goodness sake talk me out of it someone..;)
I have reservations, the back brake is likely to be a back pedal type, which although no doubt works fine, is not something i've ever used before (difficult to find English descriptions of the braking system)...would welcome observations about anything really.
Tyres, indeed any parts, could be a problem.

Can you bring a bike like that back on the (non peak time) train without being bent over financially?

I may well go new, several appeal for different reasons, i still like the Schwinn Coffee, and some of the Dutch bikes too, though i could get a new CB similar to the eBay jobbie for around £225, probably the most sensible route.

However i'm much too old to be sensible, have an image (of lunacy) to maintain.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 6 Mar 11 at 10:50
 Bicycle. - corax
>> Tyres, indeed any parts, could be a problem.

On the subject of tyres, most are puncture resistant these days - if you need to buy some, look for this in the spec, they are a godsend if you run over thorns, glass e.t.c and you're miles from home. I haven't repaired a puncture in years. Also, the range of lights you can get for bikes now is amazing - I have this on the back of mine after my cateye one failed just out of the one year guarantee and it is seriously bright. It looks great as well.

www.wiggle.co.uk/blackburn-mars-30-led-safety-rear-light/
 Bicycle. - Iffy
gb,

The frame on that Claud Butler is enormous.

Are you sure you have long enough legs for it?

Bicycle. - -
>> The frame on that Claud Butler is enormous.
>>
>> Are you sure you have long enough legs for it?

Taken from Brompton's link (the bike outlet)..

Frame Size Inside leg Guide (minimum size) Person Size Ft

* 22" - 23" - 32"+ 6ft +
* 20" - 29" 5ft 10

So should be just about right, i'm 32" minimum but usually buy 33" leg trouser.
Big feet too, but the rest of the supposed accessories never materialised.:-)

I've noted that link C, thanks.

This is getting silly, i'm like a kid again over buying a bike!

Being drawn towards the Dutchie Dapper 3speed courtesy of AV's link.

Imagine i'll end up with several at this rate.

Bicycle. - Zero
>> Being drawn towards the Dutchie Dapper 3speed courtesy of AV's link.
>>

Yup thats perfect for a trannie trucker, the granny look should do it. ;0

Get a mans bike for gawds sake.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 6 Mar 11 at 12:32
 Bicycle. - corax
>> >> Being drawn towards the Dutchie Dapper 3speed courtesy of AV's link.

I like the looks, but what are the frames made of? A heavy steel frame can be hard work to shift, especially up hills - I guess it depends on how far you're cycling.
 Bicycle. - -
{{A heavy steel frame can be hard work to shift, especially up hills }}

Could have sworn i read that they were Aluminium framed, but rereading i don't see that now.
I've read that many bike spec's recently, what passes for my mind is spinning.
 Bicycle. - Iffy
...Frame Size Inside leg Guide (minimum size) Person Size Ft...

Fair enough.

I suppose I'm thinking of mountain bikes where the trend is to have an undersize frame and a long seat and handlebar post.

A sloping top tube can make the frame appear smaller as well.

Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
Nearest I can find to a spec in English is here:-

uk.batavus.com/collection/City+bikes/Boosterbike/Boosterbike.aspx

Wouldn't worry too much about parts. The wheels are 26'' (ie MTB size) and while there will be a variety of rim profiles available I expect it's running a widely available urban/commuter variant. Schwalbe Stelvios were widely available until recently and will have been replaced in that company's range. Both my Bromptons and the Dawes tourer run on Schwalbe Marathons; heavy but pretty well bomb proof.

Batavus have a UK arm and there are plenty of Dutch dealers who will do mail order and speak excellent English.
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
>> Can you bring a bike like that back on the (non peak time) train without
>> being bent over financially?

Assuming you're going on East Midlands Trains to Kettering then rules are here:-

www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/yourjourney/Pages/CarParkingAndCycles.aspx

Basically reservation is required and only two bikes per train.

On London Midland to Northampton it's folders only when traveling 'with flow' in peak hours. Outside of those times its said to be 2 bikes per train with more at conductors discretion. The Class 350 EMU's have designated bike space in coach B. Not clear whether that's two bikes per service or two in each unit - eight car trains comprise 2xfour car units. Other than where in peak rules are being flouted I've never seen an LM conductor challenge a bike; they are for example happy to carry full size bikes north of Milton Keynes even on trains that are 'peak' at London.
 Bicycle. - Bromptonaut
Correction, the bike space in a 350 is in coach C, adjacent to the disabled toilet.
 Bicycle. - -
I'm very much obliged for the trouble and that useful info Brompton, gives me a good option for collecting...no longer have the pick up (sold as no longer needed), and cycle carrying equipment not yet sorted...i couldn't really use a clip on, too cruel on the shapely Helga's fine lines...so either towbar bracket, or roof rack.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a towbar mounted rack that clamps to a swan neck towbar...this one..www.towequipe.co.uk/1/1/1432278-mercedes-towbar-eclass-sal-coupe-cabrio-85-95-313061.html
As you can see it doesn't have a normal towball bolted, so a carrier will need to clamp to the bracket.

This afternoon we went and had a look at Cycle King.

They have a Viking DejaVu traditional style bike with hub gears at £189 which is as cheap as i can find, quite nice it but it doesn't do anything for me for some reason.
However i fit the 22" frame easily so the 23" CB should be OK too.

Pleasant enough chaps there and no hard sell, so i would buy from them if they have a bike i want.

Got a better idea now, i want Sturmey Archer or Shimano equivalent hub gears, so that's most normal deraileured bikes out of the running.

I've learned quite a bit too from the net about hub or coaster brakes, so although being something new to learn, now feel confident to get a bike so equipped.

Don't be surprised if i buy the 2 i'm following.;)

Bicycle. - Dog
That Claud Butler looks OK to me gord (nice bike) and a bargain if ya can get it for around the asking,

314 views, so you're not alone!
 Bicycle. - Manatee
Did you buy the CB for £101.52 then GB?
 Bicycle. - -
>> Did you buy the CB for £101.52 then GB?
>>

No not me, i did bid but wasn't paying that sort of money for even that admittedly tidy machine....surprised me a bit really i was hoping to pick it up for about £80.

Scuppered me for a while, still not sure which way to go, was hoping to use the CB for work and get something different (eg that Batavus, which is still in the running) for fun.

Got to go and pick the good lady SWM's new bike up at the weekend, bought her a Pashley Sonnet (new) at a very good price...she's like a puppy with two tails.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 7 Mar 11 at 21:19
 Bicycle. - -
Yippee, got home tonight to find my (nearly) new Batavus Locarno sitting in the hall.
This is it....tinyurl.com/6jpaoxx

SWM swooped on it and nipped down to Gloucester to pick it up, amazing what will fit in a C2...she doesn't use the rear seats so they are removed semi permanently, makes a good little hot van.

Now do i buy that really odd Batavus Boosterbike?

I have one of these Halfords Advanced 2 roof mont cycle carriers reserved at half price.
tinyurl.com/o3cvux
Is it a good one or is there something else i should get instead.
I'll have to get it tomorrow if i'm going to.
 Bicycle. - Dog
S'like my Sparta, gord - nice 1 son.
 Bicycle. - Fenlander
>>>I have one of these Halfords Advanced 2 roof mont cycle carriers reserved at half price. tinyurl.com/o3cvux Is it a good one or is there something else i should get instead.
I'll have to get it tomorrow if i'm going to.

Did you get the carrier GB? I bought the same model last year (4 of them) and they've been great. As you may realise they are made by Thule but sold at a cheaper price with the Halfords brand on.

I find if easy to fit the bikes on single handed, they are gripped well and so far have held on at motorway speeds.

Bicycle. - -
>> Did you get the carrier GB? I bought the same model last year (4 of
>> them) and they've been great.

No i haven't yet, though the 'half price if you buy roof bars' offer is still on, so might take the plunge at the weekend.

What stopped me is the new swan neck towbar for the MB turned up, now if i can find a rear mount that 'clamps' to the integral ball towbar i just might go that way instead.

Another small roof hurdle has presented itself, the MB has built in fittings in the roof to take genuine roof bars.
The ones from Halfords come with their standard vehicle specific fitting kit 1009, which although i haven't delved inside to check (special order) does i think contain clamps for going round the roof edge and not the correct bolts.

Nothings ever as simple as you hope.
Clip on rack's what you need...

Bicycle. - R.P.
Your rack has made random appearances in various threads over the last week or so - sort of keeping the pitch warm for you.
 Bicycle. - Zero
Its never appeared hanging on someone's hatchback tho has it.
Latest Forum Posts