Non-motoring > sky radio Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 21

sky radio - devonite
Afternoon Techie-wizards!

The Hovel-Hostess has recently become infatuated with Sky radio (0121 Gold), and has started listening to it daily. She has it on from "0-stupid o`clock" in the morning till about 17.30, this also means that the TV (36" Toshiba) is just sat there all day displaying a couple of info-panels. Appart from the expense, i am thinking about damage from screen-burn, and would prefer to eliminate the tv from the set-up, seeing as it hasn`t a screen saver feature.
So question is - could this be done? and how? (cheaply and tidily if poss!) Skybox is a Grundig and seems to have L +R output sockets.

thanks in advance!
 sky radio - Bellboy
i have a scart converter to phone plugs for my kitchen telly, so the sound quality is better and i can this way also hear the tv in the bathroom as i wired the bathroom up to the amplifier in the kitchen too
the scart is plugged into the £15 digi box i bought for the telly so once the station is on the screen i can turn the telly completely off
 sky radio - spamcan61
The L+R sockets will be line level audio outputs, suitable for connecting to the 'AUX IN' on most music systems, so a simple cable will do if you've got such a system in the same room.
 sky radio - spamcan61
Plan B, if no suitable system is in the same room, would be to use a set of PC speakers plonked somewhere suitable where they can be connected to the L+R sockets on the Sky.

Random example:-

www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sandstrom-s20sp10-2-0-pc-speakers-06464017-pdt.html
 sky radio - BiggerBadderDave
"So question is - could this be done? and how?"

Yeah I've done this. The telly is in the bedroom, my office is next door. I bought speakers that plugged into the back of the sat box and fed them into my office so I can listen to the radio or telly without having the screen on.
 sky radio - R.P.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001U0KW1Q/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=6674372553&ref=pd_sl_6gko6di8fe_e

You want one of these - I have one they're great.
 sky radio - spamcan61
>> www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001U0KW1Q/?tag=googhydr-21&hvadid=6674372553&ref=pd_sl_6gko6di8fe_e
>>
>> You want one of these - I have one they're great.
>>
Yeah, I did occur to me that this is what the Gnome was made for; I didn't know you could still get them though.
 sky radio - R.P.
I was rather surprised to be honest.
 sky radio - Zero
Be quick, you cant get them and there is only one on Amazon.
 sky radio - devonite
Thanks chaps! - i knew the answer was out there,somewhere! = i`m off"huntin Gnomes"!! ;-)
 sky radio - spamcan61
>> Be quick, you cant get them and there is only one on Amazon.
>>

Well I'll got to the foot of our stairs, there's a company still making (or at least selling and supporting) them:-

www.sky-gnome.co.uk/
 sky radio - Iffy
At the caravan I have a Freeview hard disc recorder wired through a mini system for sound and a small Samsung LCD telly for vision.

Easy enough to listen to Freeview radio with the screen on standby.

sky radio - R.P.
If you're struggling I have one - it's packed away at the moment though.
 sky radio - devonite
cheers P.U, tracked some down on ebay, will see how this biddin thing works! but theres some on b-i-n as back-up!

cheers all ;-)
 sky radio - spamcan61
You can buy them direct from the site I linked up thread, 12 month warranty etc.:-

www.sky-gnome.co.uk/acatalog/SKY_Gnome.html#a2
 sky radio - devonite
Ah yes! - seemed to miss that link! - well if the biddin fails, and i have to pay full whack ;-) this looks to be the better option esp with 12mnth gaurantee! thnx!
 sky radio - Alastairw
Is the said Gold station available on DAB? If so the obvious answer is a cheap DAB radio, I would have thought.
 sky radio - Zero
Indeed it is.

A dab radio is a much better proposition.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_(radio)
 sky radio - Zero
The same music as, but NO Tony Blackburn,.

Cant be bad.,
 sky radio - spamcan61
>>
>> A dab radio is a much better proposition.
>>
Depends on the OP's indoor DAB reception, mine is rubbish in some rooms on the commercial muxes. Agreed it's potentially cheaper and leaves the Sky box free for proper channels like Discovery Shed.

sky radio - Robin O'Reliant
>> Afternoon Techie-wizards!
>>
>> The Hovel-Hostess has recently become infatuated with Sky radio (0121 Gold), and has started listening
>>
>>
Mrs RR listens to that as well. For a station that has access to sixty years of hit records their playlist seems to consist of the same twenty songs over and over again. All the gold stations I have listened to do the same.
 sky radio - devonite
Not sure about the Dab signal here, i assume as we were the first to go digital with tv that it should be ok, however, i quite like the look of the gnome, tis small, neat, and wireless! so i`ve almost been convinced it`s what we want! as long as we can turn mi telly off!!!

>>has access to sixty years of hit records their playlist seems to consist of the same twenty songs over and over again<<

but unlike some of todays "rap-crap" the`re worth listning to! even if repeated every now and again, class lives on! :-)
Latest Forum Posts