Non-motoring > Japan - Tsunami - Volume 1   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 101

Japan - Tsunami - Volume 1 - Zero

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 2 *****

Just been catching the scenes on Lunchtime TV. What a truly belittling event, really makes you feel just how insignificant we are on this planet.

And glad we live in the most benign part of the planet.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 18:48

Japan - Tsunami. - Hard Cheese

Agreed Zero.

Japan - Tsunami. - Alanovich
I have seen some footage on the BBC website of vehicles, trying to evade the wave, which go out of shot just before the deluge hits them. There can't be much hope for the drivers or passengers. There are buildings, on fire, being carried through towns by the wave.

Horrendous.

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
I could live in a flood zone, like say Queensland, although I'd make sure I lived on high ground,but I wouldn't live in an earthquake zone - the very thought of the ground opening up and buildings collapsing like a concertina,
absolutely horrific :(

Japan - Tsunami. - Dave_
Watching a live feed from Hawaiian TV, waiting for the inundation:

www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=176904

Google Street View of the same scene here:

bit.ly/hNvBjC

Japan - Tsunami. - FotheringtonTomas
Forecast up to 1m. Could do some damage.

Japan - Tsunami. - corax
The longer something like this doesn't happen, the more secure and in control you tend to feel, until the inevitable happens and we are thrown aside like flotsam. It has to be one of the most terrifying things to happen - like a volcano deciding to blow. I find the prospect of Yellowstone erupting a horrendous thought, considering it blows every 600000 years (give or take a few years) according to geologists and it's now 600000 years since the last eruption.

The aerial view of that tsunami is incredible. You can see it changing direction according to the undulations in the land. I wonder if the animals sensed it beforehand.
Last edited by: corax on Fri 11 Mar 11 at 14:09

Japan - Tsunami. - DP
Easily the most horrific, spectacular, terrifying natural disaster footage I have ever witnessed. I agree with the comments above that it reminds us just how much Mother Nature does rule the roost and how insignificant and powerless we really are.

I work for a Japanese company with lots of Japanese employees. Lots of worried faces and cancelled meetings/appointments today. Everyone is feeling for them. I guess at this stage we can only hope that the waters recede quickly. A sad day.

Japan - Tsunami. - Robin O'Reliant
Puts our problems with a couple of inches of snow for a few days every winter into perspective.

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuartli
We just cannot imagine just how terrifying an experience it must be to go through, especially when you see fishing boats, cars and pickups being bowled over a weir and under an overhead road as though they were matchsticks.

The sight of the tsunami itself carrying thousands of tons of material in front of it onto and over the land mass is also an awesome, but mind concentrating event.

One of my offspring lives in the Caymans and each year they have a hurricane season and, quite often, huge waves sweeping over the island as a result. As the highest point is only 60ft you can imagine the damage caused.

Japan - Tsunami. - Boxsterboy
Look away now if you don't like sick jokes.

"I wonder if the appeals for money to help will get much response - there's a lot of money out there in Japan. I mean a bloke I saw on TV had two boats in his front garden."
 Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
Heal The World ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJkpkaXsWsg

Japan - Tsunami. - R.P.
Makes you wonder what will happen next...is it me or are there more of these disasters recently ?

Or is it that news has gone truly global and we're exposed to more detail on a rolling basis ?

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
>> Makes you wonder what will happen next...is it me or are there more of these
>> disasters recently ?
>>
>> Or is it that news has gone truly global and we're exposed to more detail
>> on a rolling basis ?

Stuff like this is cyclical. We are currently in or approaching a Sunspot peak.

Japan - Tsunami. - corax
>> Makes you wonder what will happen next...is it me or are there more of these
>> disasters recently ?
>>

I suppose having this earthquake happen so soon after New Zealand is a bit surprising. Maybe these pressures have been building up in the tectonic plates in this whole region and this extra stress is being released more quickly now. One of the volcanoes in Iceland is showing signs of magma rising and it's only a matter of time before it blows. I think we're just lucky that we've been living in such a benign stage in the Earth's history, and as Zero said earlier, that we as the British live in such a stable area.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Japan earthquake factbox: Entire Japan coast shifted 2.4 metres, earth axis moves ten inches

Does that mean all the Japanese Sat Navs are now inaccurate?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 11 Mar 11 at 20:53

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuu
Does make a fence panel blowing down seem rather unimportant, but it does a person good to realise how small they are in the grand scheme.

Only shame of it is that the earth missed yet another opportunity to swallow Katie Price whole. God sure does have a sense of humour.

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuartli
>>Only shame of it is that the earth missed yet another opportunity to swallow Katie Price whole. God sure does have a sense of humour. >>

But I still wouldn't climb over her to get to you, silicone or not...:-)

As I understand it, the nuclear threat has been overcome with the cooling down of the reactor in question.

Japan - Tsunami. - spamcan61
>> Japan earthquake factbox: Entire Japan coast shifted 2.4 metres, earth axis moves ten inches
>>
>> Does that mean all the Japanese Sat Navs are now inaccurate?
>>
ooh a bit late on a Friday evening to put my thinking head on, but I'd say yes, as the satellites haven't moved, but the land mass has.

Japan - Tsunami. - R.P.
Seems that one of the nuclear plants is going to be "difficult"

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Yeah,

It seems that the post shut down cooling on one failed and it got cooked (like a turbo)

2139: Radiation levels at the damaged Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant are continuing to rise. The Jiji Press news agency says the levels are eight times above normal. Its report also cites a ministry official as saying there is a "possibility of a radioactive leak".

2149: The Kyodo news agency is now citing a safety panel as saying that the radiation level inside one of the reactors at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant is 1,000 times higher than normal.

Japan - Tsunami. - R.P.
I've a feeling that the power stations will be the bigger story that will be remembered. Excellent reporting on the BBC - as stated on the news Obama seems happier to go publicly large on this sooner than he did on Libya.

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
I was thinking (as I was doing the washing up this morning, by hand!) that if I lived in an Earthquake zone + near the coast, I would have a sort-of Tsunami-Pod which would have an outer skin of say Kevlar, and it would be (possibly) inflatable,
It would accommodate my whole family and be fitted with safety harnesses so that any rocking & rolling would do little damage to the occupants ... wifey pointed out that if y'all get his by a passing dwelling or a 10 ton truck, you'd have a few bumps (and some) but I'd still go 4 it.

It would be a cross between an Ark and an Anderson shelter :}

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Much simpler to live on a hill.

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
That's me alright = The Fool :)

Japan - Tsunami. - corax
>> It would be a cross between an Ark and an Anderson shelter :}

Zorb ball? (With a few mods)

:)

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
>>Zorb ball? (With a few mods)<<

That's the idea - The Corax & Dog Zorb ball :)

Japan - Tsunami. - VxFan
>> Zorb ball? (With a few mods)

Don't think there would be room for me, PU, & Smokie as well.

Japan - Tsunami. - Fenlander
>>> a sort-of Tsunami-Pod

I think Lady GaGa had the same idea a few weeks back!

2.bp.blogspot.com/-wbfKk_cMLvs/TVhlkET2LwI/AAAAAAAAAfg/4y_08Rpysc4/s1600/LADY+GAGA+Grammys+2011.jpg
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 12 Mar 11 at 09:24

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
>> I've a feeling that the power stations will be the bigger story that will be
>> remembered.

12 March 2011 Last updated at 09:01
Japan quake: Huge explosion at Fukushima nuclear plant

Japanese TV showed a huge cloud of smoke rising from one of the Fukushima plant buildings

A massive explosion has struck a Japanese nuclear power plant after Friday's devastating earthquake.

A huge pall of smoke was seen coming from the plant at Fukushima and several workers were injured.

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
Who, in their right mind (I wonder) would allow a nuclear facility to be built in an Earthquake zone like Japan!!

Japan - Tsunami. - DP
>> Who, in their right mind (I wonder) would allow a nuclear facility to be built
>> in an Earthquake zone like Japan!!
>>

When you have a massive, energy hungry industrial economy and no energy resources of your own, I guess nuclear is the only viable option.

We can only hope the explosion shown on the news this morning isn't as sinister as it appeared.

It's so sad. You have to wonder how much one country be expected to take. :-(

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Dog

The reasons are the same ones that made Japan invade Manchuria 1931 and bombing Pearl Harbour in 1941. And the same reasons they are in the mire now.

They have no natural resources. No Oil or Gas. Its one of the consequences of living on the edge of a tectonic plate. The other consequence is earthquakes.

Edit

If you could plan this stuff, you wouldn't put a major economic country there in the first place.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 12 Mar 11 at 09:45

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
Yes, I take that on board Zero & DP - perhaps it's time for mankind to install a 'new world' system that isn't based on a monetary system, all these recent major disasters are going to cost $bi££ions to rebuild + the trillion$ owed by the US, the £billions owed by the UK etc., etc., etc. then there's the billions wasted on bombing Serbia + Iraq + Afghan (perhaps I need to lie down!)

Japan - Tsunami. - corax
>> (perhaps I need to lie down!)

Humans eh dog? Their own worst enemy.

I can't see a way around this for the Japanese

1. Wave Power - not enough to meet demand and would be destroyed by a potential tsunami.

2. Solar Power - Not enough to meet demand

3. Coal and gas fired power stations - Very expensive to import fuel as they have no resources of their own.

4. Geothermal power - it answers itself - infrastructure would be destroyed in seconds by an earthquake. Although Iceland forges ahead with this - I expect it's cheap to implement as the heat source is so close to the surface, and a logical way of providing power.

5. Wind Power - Not enough to meet demand.

Have I missed anything out?

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
>
>> Have I missed anything out?

Yes, The Kurril Islands. Possibly oil and gas there, but there us the slight issue that the islands are claimed by Japan and Russia.

Could be the source of War at some time in the not too distant future.

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
>>Could be the source of War at some time in the not too distant future<<

See - there we go again, why do we have to resort to atrocities, are we still a primitive war-like being
(yes, course we are sez SWM) I know I can get a bit carried away down here in the wild west of Briton, but wouldn't it be neat if mankind evolved into a more spiritual being who helped one another - what a world that would be!

Time for my medication :}

Japan - Tsunami. - R.P.
Post war Japan is a good starting point for your model -from a war-loving race to a peaceful modern country in a generation.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
>> Post war Japan is a good starting point for your model -from a war-loving race
>> to a peaceful modern country in a generation.

Wouldn't bank on it. The current "peace loving" Japan is only in existence because the complete military command structure was dismantled, and then tied to the Americans. (50 thousand US troops still on the island)

However the new military are itching to become more independent, (and itching for a go at North Korea)

Japan - Tsunami. - R.P.
That's OK !

Japan - Tsunami. - SteelSpark
>> Wouldn't bank on it. The current "peace loving" Japan is only in existence because the
>> complete military command structure was dismantled, and then tied to the Americans. (50 thousand US
>> troops still on the island)
>>
>> However the new military are itching to become more independent, (and itching for a go
>> at North Korea)

Having nuclear weapons used against you is probably enough to put you off war for a long time. On that basis, picking North Korea as a target would seem to be pretty stupid.

They'd probably want to build their own nuclear weapons first but, given their history, I very much doubt they could overcome the political hurdles.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero

>> Having nuclear weapons used against you is probably enough to put you off war for
>> a long time. On that basis, picking North Korea as a target would seem to
>> be pretty stupid.

That's the reason they want to have a go at them. If North Koreans get upset they are going to lob a weapon at Japan.

1/ Because it the only place they can hit.
2/ Because they think its an American puppet, and so would harm America,

>> On that basis, picking North Korea as a target would seem
>> to
>> >> be pretty stupid.
>>
>> That's the reason they want to have a go at them. If North Koreans get
>> upset they are going to lob a weapon at Japan.

So why would they want to have a go at North Korea, and end up getting nuked?

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Because there is a good chance they will get Nuked anyway. Even if its not Japan that upsets them.

Every Missile the NK's test flies over Japan.

>> Because there is a good chance they will get Nuked anyway. Even if its not
>> Japan that upsets them.
>>
>> Every Missile the NK's test flies over Japan.

Well, I suppose if they attacked NK and then got nuked, they could perhaps then try to finish NK off, and maybe hope that the US would help them. It sounds crazy, but you can always find some people in the military who are desperate to use military force to resolve an issue once and for all, even if it means massive casualties.

Hopefully, the politicians would expect that NK would never actually nuke Japan (unless provoked) because they would fear US intervention.

Do the US and Japan have any kind of mutual defence pact?

Japan - Tsunami. - Old Navy
>> Do the US and Japan have any kind of mutual defence pact?
>>

I suspect that the US is using its Japanese bases as a backstop in case SK gets overrun.

Much as it did with the UK in WW2 and during the cold war.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 13:52

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Yes they do.

which is why the NK's will nuke them first.

>> Yes they do.
>>
>> which is why the NK's will nuke them first.

Personally, I find it unlikely. The only time that they will want a war, is to keep themselves in power.

In that case, much better to start a conventional conflict with SK, and then only use nukes if they are about to be toppled.

This is what all the shelling, and sinking subs is about. They know that they can do a bit of sabre rattling, without provoking a war, because everybody is too scared of their nuclear capability.

It will likely be the same with Iran, if they ever manage to obtain nukes. They're never going to nuke Israel, but they with be braver with their military meddling in the region, once they know that nobody wants a war with them.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero

>> Personally, I find it unlikely. The only time that they will want a war, is
>> to keep themselves in power.

You are thinking in a sane and rational manner. Not at all like the Dear Leader of North Korea, or the Clerics in power in Iran.

>> >> Personally, I find it unlikely. The only time that they will want a war,
>> is
>> >> to keep themselves in power.
>>
>> You are thinking in a sane and rational manner. Not at all like the Dear
>> Leader of North Korea, or the Clerics in power in Iran.

Oh, I think that they are perfectly sane when it comes to keeping themselves in power.

Talking about destroying the West, or destroying Israel plays well to the masses and helps them them stay in power, but they don't want to push it too far and lose their power, palaces, girls, private jets etc, etc...end up hiding in a cellar and getting strung up by their ex-subjects.

The only risk is that they are backed into a corner and have nothing to lose...well, that or the weapons falling into the hands of those whose power doesn't come from being in charge of a country (e.g. Bin Laden).

Japan - Tsunami. - CGNorwich
The North Korean regime is on its last legs and will collapse in a few years.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Think they said that 20 years ago

But they were wrong then and I know I'm right now. Surely you know the feeling Zero :-)

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
I'll let you know in 20 years.,

Japan - Tsunami. - John H
>> I've a feeling that the power stations will be the bigger story
>>

Fukushima I units 1 to 6 are older BWR nuclear plant, Construction began 1966, Commission date March 26, 1971.

You can build a reactor and supporting systems to withstand earthquakes, but to stop a tsunami from drowning the delicate electrical/electronic and mechanical plant within the complex is virtually impossible. Even if you build a huge bund wall around the station, you can be sure that if people can go in to work in the station then water will find a way in too. No backup systems, whether diesel or battery driven will function once their control systems have been ruined by water ingress.

The explosion shown on the news shows the cladding of the reactor hall being blown off and dust/debris/steam going up in a grey/white cloud. It could be anything from a steam vessel bursting (and thus the white smoke) to the nuclear reactor walls cracking.

The PWR at Sizewell B has a secondary containment which is much stronger than the superficial cladding used to cover the reactor hall in many other nuclear power plants.

Power Plant details and developments arising from Tsunami
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_Nuclear_Power_Plant

Type of reactor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_Water_Reactor

Last edited by: John H on Sat 12 Mar 11 at 12:53

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero

>> The explosion shown on the news shows the cladding of the reactor hall being blown
>> off and dust/debris/steam going up in a grey/white cloud. It could be anything from a
>> steam vessel bursting (and thus the white smoke) to the nuclear reactor walls cracking.

Quite likely to be hydrogen explosion, probably caused by deliberately venting the containment vessel.

They are going to be pouring bouron and seawater on it, so its seems likely there has been a leak of nuclear material, but its seems the shell of the containment vessel may be in tact.

Japan - Tsunami. - Bellboy
its seems the shell of the containment vessel may be in tact.
>
> well i for one is not convinced
the latest news about deaths and destruction as it becomes known is really sadening
a whole fishing town gone with the water up to floor 4 on the only remaining building

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
I was talking to the wife earlier (again!) about the Earthquake, and she was relating to me about the time she was in a Hotel in Tokyo and the Earth literally moved for her, she'd never experienced an earth tremor or whatever it was, she put it down to the effects of jet-lag,

It wasn't until she got back to blighty that the Japs (who she worked for) told her about it and said they didn't say anything (at the time) because they didn't know how a Westerner would take it.

Re: the nips being peace-loving folk, I can tell you one thing, having been in their company many times - they are faffing weird, and luv inflicting pain on others for fun - you may have seen the TV shows!

Japan - Tsunami. - DP
>> Re: the nips being peace-loving folk, I can tell you one thing, having been in
>> their company many times - they are faffing weird, and luv inflicting pain on others
>> for fun - you may have seen the TV shows!

I will never understand their slavish work / corporate loyalty ethic, but on the whole I find them modest, unfailingly polite and respectful, and in a social environment, very entertaining company. Particularly after a few beers. :-)

I find their culture fascinating. It's the only country I've been to which I would say is genuinely different to any other country.

latest updates sounding bad for another reacter now

world moves 10 inches to the right due to techtonic movement

Japan - Tsunami. - Armel Coussine
The thing that makes your blood run cold is seeing this catastrophe occurring in a populous and developed place of a sort that is familiar to all of us. Cars and houses swept away and no communications... the stuff of nightmare.

We have an old friend who lives near Tokyo. His daughter who lives here says he and her mother are all right.

I do hope very much that the reactor ruptures and problems are sorted without catastrophic releases of vaporised heavy metals and other clag. In any case we must anticipate many campaigning experts of various grades insisting that the Japanese, and everyone else, should phase out nuclear power generation now. But whatever those elements may think, Japan and the rest of us are likely to need nuclear in the short and medium term. There's no immediately available viable alternative.

I notice that the media, almost certainly at the behest of the Japanese government, are fairly obviously playing down death toll estimates. Must say I approve of that because there has been much exaggeration on other occasions (wars usually). Accurate figures will obviously appear eventually. But numbers aren't really the point.

Japan - Tsunami. - Colonel Blimp
This message has been hidden as many of our users have rated it as offensive.
You may view it by clicking here
Can I really be the only one not to care a fig about the plight of the Japanese?
Remember Pearl Harbor, the infamous railway, their treatment of POWs and their attitude of total superiority to the rest of the world, clasified by them as "Barbarians".
BANZAI!
 Japan - Tsunami. - Manatee
Not to be dignified with a reply from me.

Yes

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuu
Yes, you are likely the only one, thank goodness.

Japan - Tsunami. - Focusless
Interesting first post.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Have to say Colonel, that your first ever post on here is most revealing about your character.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Stu, are you having an Identity crisis? You have changed your handle more times than I have changed my underpants over the last two weeks.

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuu
I know, its sort of in tribute to where the Ignis is made ( Sendai ) and the current circumstances in Japan. Im sentimental really.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
The ignis is insured with swiftcover.com?

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuu
Nah, Im too posh, Im Privileged.

Japan - Tsunami. - Dog
>>Can I really be the only one not to care a fig about the plight of the Japanese?<<

They are flesh and blood Colonel just like you and your children, WW2 is history now and if you delve into any countries past you will find enough evidence to be able to condemn them for their misdeeds, at one time or another.

Japan - Tsunami. - John H
Colonel Blimp - we know who you are. And you must be a total idiot to choose a name like that to go with a post like that.

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuu
I havent made the connection - who is/was the Col?

Japan - Tsunami. - Armel Coussine
>> who is/was the Col?

There's a beautiful Powell/Pressburger movie, 'The Life and Times of Colonel Blimp'. Among other things it's about British and German army officers (before Hitler o course) having as much in common with each other as with their own compatriots, and maintaining cordial relations through wars.

It is incorrect to see a Blimp as a xenophobe.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Blimp was actually a bit of a Hero.

Not the one on here of course.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
>> Colonel Blimp - we know who you are. And you must be a total idiot
>> to choose a name like that to go with a post like that.

Who? Name names.

Japan - Tsunami. - Runfer D'Hills
The British and more particularly the English have done some fairly horrific things to their own people and those of other ( some quite nearby ) nations in the past. Fortunately, the vast majority of the modern generations of those once subjugated and humiliated lands can appreciate that it is not actually the doing of the current generation.

We will never progress while some choose tribalism over globalism.

Caught up with a recording of Prof Brian Cox's thing last night. Makes us and our cultural prejudices seem pretty insignificant in the scheme of things.

Japan - Tsunami. - Stuu
My nan was telling me about the reason why my German grandfather didnt return to Germany after the war ended ( he was a POW in Essex ).

He had several letters from his mother saying dont come back, its too dangerous.

It wasnt until the 70's when he did return that he found out his mother and sister ( barely a teenager at the time ) were beaten and raped by Russian soldiers repeatedly over a period of time.

Never hear much about the Russians - I guess having natural resources does rather determine how history is written.

No one country is immune from past misdeeds although being on the winning side seems to add a gloss which isnt so apparent in reality.
 Japan - Tsunami. - corax
>> The British and more particularly the English have done some fairly horrific things to their
>> own people and those of other ( some quite nearby ) nations in the past.

I was thinking of Edward Longshanks when I read that.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
>> The British and more particularly the English have done some fairly horrific things to their
>> own people and those of other ( some quite nearby ) nations in the past.

And cleverly, we used other nations and races to do it. The Scots were a useful tool.

>>Fortunately, the vast majority of the modern generations of those once subjugated and >>humiliated lands

We English prefer to think of them as enlightened and educated by us.

>>can appreciate that it is not actually the doing of the current generation.

Ungrateful wretches that they are.

Japan - Tsunami. - AnotherJohnH
let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Japan - Tsunami. - Iffy
I was struck not by the influence of the English people, but by the influence of the English language.

Film showed firefighters with the title of their brigade written on their jackets in Japanese and English.

Some shop signs were also bi-lingual.

This was not in a cosmopolitan capital, it was in a city in north east Japan of which most of us have never heard.

You wouldn't see County Durham firefighters with Japanese script on their backs.

The global influence of English is truly enormous.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 11:58

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
All down to hollywood and the internet.

Japan - Tsunami. - Iffy
...All down to hollywood and the internet....

Certainly not the internet, English was a massive global language long before that was thought of.

I suspect it has more to do with the British Empire and our now much-derided habit of imposing our ways on people in foreign countries.

As to Hollywood, why are all those films in English?

I don't think native Americans were English speakers, so it must be the Pilgrim Fathers.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
>> ...All down to hollywood and the internet....
>>
>> Certainly not the internet, English was a massive global language long before that was thought
>> of.

It certainly is. English speaking has increased one third in its short timespan.

>>
>> I suspect it has more to do with the British Empire and our now much-derided
>> habit of imposing our ways on people in foreign countries.

I dont really think the British Empire controlled Japan.

>>
>> As to Hollywood, why are all those films in English?
>>
>> I don't think native Americans were English speakers, so it must be the Pilgrim Fathers.

They are not in English, they are in American. The same thing the Japanese have on their Jackets and Emergency vehicles.

>> You can build a reactor and supporting systems to withstand earthquakes, but to stop a
>> tsunami from drowning the delicate electrical/electronic and mechanical plant within the complex is virtually impossible.
>> Even if you build a huge bund wall around the station, you can be sure
>> that if people can go in to work in the station then water will find
>> a way in too.

You would think that some kind of airlock system, with a air supply system would be achievable. In this case, that is probably not overkill because, after all, it is not as if this is the first tsunami in Japan. If they build to expect earthquakes they would build to expect tsunamis too.

It's a shame because the shutdown system seems to have worked fine, but they have been caught out by this weak point.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
The plants were not hit by a tsunami, they are built outside tsunami zones. The cause is power failures driving the cooling mechanism. In this case diesel generators should have kicked in to provide power for post shut down cooling, but the generators failed an hour or two after kicking in.

Its a much more basic and fundamental failure of backup systems. Fortunately the containment(s) seem to be doing the job (as they did at Three Mile Island)

The Japanese nuclear industry has a history of cover-up, so chickens are coming home to roost...

we will never hear all the truth till the fat lady sings

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
She wont be singing.

Japan - Tsunami. - Iffy
...She wont be singing...

But if she does, it will be in English.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Wrong

Fat ladies sing in Italian.

Japan - Tsunami. - Iffy
...Fat ladies sing in Italian...

You've obviously never seen a hen party on the Quayside at Newcastle.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
They are NOT ladies

Japan - Tsunami. - Harleyman
And it certainly ain't singing!

Japan - Tsunami. - Iffy
Alison Moyet is a big lass and she sings in English.

As does that opera woman from Doncaster whose name escapes me.

And Dame Kiri Te wotsit could hardly be described as 'sylph like'.

Aretha Franklin is another woman who sings and carries a few extra pounds.
Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 13:41

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Aretha sings in Amercian.

No-one from Doncaster can sing

Alison Moyet lost weight

And dame Kiri thingamummy aint fat either.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 13:49

Japan - Tsunami. - Iffy
...Aretha sings in Amercian...

What's this 'American' you keep on about?

No such thing.

Americans speak English, just as we do.

They have their version, we have ours.

Japan - Tsunami. - Zero
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 14:28

fat ladies singing on the quayside at Newcastle is one sight i dont want to see or here or contemplate thank you very much

Japan - Tsunami. - Tooslow
"You shall have a fishy, on a little dishy..."

or were you thinking more on the lines of;

"We can swing together, we can have a..." ?

John

Latest Forum Posts