Non-motoring > Glue for rubbery plastic Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 9

Glue for rubbery plastic - Skoda
I want to glue a bit of hooked velcro onto the rubbery plastic suction mount for the tomtom - i.e. instead of using it on a windscreen it's mounted on some hook velcro (which goes against a strip of loop velcro hidden inside the cubby in the top of the dashboard.

The adhesive on the strip of loop velcro sticks strongly to the plastic it's attached to and the velcro itself is more than up to the job of carrying the satnav, but the adhesive on the hook velcro to satnav mount fails before the velcro splits when i'm folding it away into the cubby for storage.

I tried evo-stick impact adhesive, but it's not binding to the rubbery plastic very well.

What would be the right glue for the job? I have 2 part epoxy and superglue - if i try one of those i wont be able to clean it up to try the other if it fails. Or is there a better alternative than either of these?
Last edited by: Skoda on Sat 12 Mar 11 at 16:06
 Glue for rubbery plastic - Zero
you need the stuff used to repair paddling pools.

However, you will always have problems of it separating, due to the flexibility of the rubber thingy and need to put a huge amount of tension on it to break the hooks and eye grip.
Cheers for that Zero.

I can probably afford to reduce the amount of velcro, it's currently a square of hook stuff covering the whole bottom of the suction cup, if i drop to 2 strips i'm sure that'll still be plenty strong enough to prevent the satnav wobbling about but hopefully take a fair bit less effort to separate the mount.

I'm off to get a paddling pool repair kit. Vinyl cement & lightly sanding the rubber looks just the ticket. Cheers for that.
 Glue for rubbery plastic - rtj70
I stuck velcro to the suction cup of my TomTom mount years ago. It's still stuck on there well and it uses the sticky side of the velcro itself and nothing else. Maybe you need to get different velcro?
 Glue for rubbery plastic - Runfer D'Hills
Brodit clips - perfick...

www.dsldevelopments.com/
 Glue for rubbery plastic - Old Navy
>> Brodit clips - perfick...
>>
>> www.dsldevelopments.com/
>>

Seconded, I had one in my Focus and now have one in my Ceed. Absolutly rigid, and no damage to the car.
Brodit's are ace, but i'm fussy as hell and i want something that looks completely standard when not in use. Only way i could figure to do that was to have a removable mount that could be stowed away.

Picture's better, here's the idea --

picasaweb.google.com/106022899596357479599/SatnavMount?authkey=Gv1sRgCK6Km-it7OCL2QE&feat=directlink

Tomtom sits in top cubby, and the power supply & traffic aerial are behind the dash running to the fusebox. This way you retain all the adjustment ability and it can be mounted anywhere along the length of the cubby to suit your fancy.

2nd pic shows inside, the loop velcro acts as a cushion when everything's folded away in that box so nothing rattles, although it's all pretty snug with the lid closed anyway.

Comes on and off with ignition so never need to unplug it (unless removing it from the car obviously...)

Glue for rubbery plastic - Old Navy
How about these slip together mounts, one half glued to the cubby lid, (ABS drain pipe adhesive) other half satnav mount.

www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/minimoveclipsDSL.asp

www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/moveclipsDSL.asp
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 12 Mar 11 at 19:51
 Glue for rubbery plastic - -
I used to attach my Trafficmaster similarly by velcro in the truck, heavy piece of kit and with the rough ride came loose frequently whichever normal glue i used.

Araldite type glues by whatever name work well, though need to be out of sight as there's likely to be long term disfigurement to any plastic surfaces, it doesn't like coming off afterwards...a resin glass fibre such as P40 Isopon (haven't seen it for years though) would be a permanet fix too.
 Glue for rubbery plastic - R.P.
a resin glass fibre such as P40 Isopon

I read that and the smell of it came back to me instantly...
Latest Forum Posts