Non-motoring > The first cut Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 19

The first cut - Tooslow
Well the grass has just had it's first cut, spring must be on the way.

Why is it never easy though? Poured petrol into tank and it starts dribbling out of the bottom. As expected the pipe has split. It's always split at the othe end before. So, cut a bit off. Except I can't. What's this? There's a lump of metal, a fuel filter I guess, in the way. Pull it out, cut off the split length, squeeze the filter back in and there's still enough to reach from the tank to the engine. It fires second pull and I was only trying to get compression not turn it over. There's some good luck then.

One of these days I'll have to buy a new pipe.

Next week, cleaning bench and oiling it so I can sit on my bum in the sun.

John
 The first cut - Zero
IN three years time the pipe will be too short...
 The first cut - VxFan
Got the mower out the garage yesterday, raised the height slightly, primed the carb, and started first pull of the string. First time it's been started in approx 6 months. Odd that it never starts first pull when used weekly. It usually takes 5 to 7 pulls to get it fired up.

Still, not bad for a petrol mower that a neighbour threw away a couple of years ago because he couldn't get it to start and his missus nagged him to get a new one.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 18:53
 The first cut - Armel Coussine

>> Still, not bad for a petrol mower that a neighbour threw away a couple of years ago because he couldn't get it to start and his missus nagged him to get a new one.

Heh heh... it pays to have black fingers as well as green ones, eh?
 The first cut - Runfer D'Hills
All my life I've cut grass. As a child I was cajoled into cutting grass. As an adult, all my houses, except the early flats of course, have had grass. I tend it, feed it, weed it, dispose of the cuttings and keep it neat.

Trouble is, I don't even like grass. I should replace it with gravel or slabs or pots or anything really which doesn't rob me of so much time and effort.

Who's bright blinking idea was grass adjoining residential properties anyway? I'd quite like to torture him.
 The first cut - Armel Coussine
Concreted over your grouse moor and red deer 'forest' yet Humph?

:o}
Heh heh, I would quite like to level and concrete my back garden and fill it with "project" cars but I suspect I'd have trouble getting that ratified by she who likes to potter...
 The first cut - R.P.
They'd need to be mock tudor motors !
I know, and what would the neighbours say eh? Probably have them whispering and scowling in fleece wearing huddles of dismay about the effect on their house prices, the rising water table and the dangers from all those nasty emissions on their progeny...

:-)
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 13 Mar 11 at 19:35
 The first cut - Zero
>> They'd need to be mock tudor motors !

We need to get him down to Hampton Court Palace to see how its really done.
 The first cut - Bromptonaut
How old's the lad Humph?

Time to get him trained up; might cost on pocket money though!!
 The first cut - Tooslow
"We need to get him down to Hampton Court Palace to see how its really done. "

Tatton Park will do nicely thanks.

John
 The first cut - helicopter
Just managed the first grass cut of the year on Saturday as the grass was dry enough so grass is looking reasonable again. I use an electric Flymo.

Also had the tree surgeons in at helicopter towers last week to remove one cypress tree from the the front which really got too big,. reversing off the drive it blocked the view so had to go.

He also took about 20 ft off the top of four birches in the back garden and the same off a holly tree at the side , the birch logs went about 6 doors down to a neighbour with an open fire.

The hedges were all trimmed back as well but are still tall enough to screen off all the neighbours from view .

I could have been a tree surgeon myself but I can't stand the sight of sap.........

Anyway the trees cut back should help cure the moss in the lawns but a bit of moss killer and a run over the lawn with the scarifier is the next job......then the weedkiller over the block paving ....then pressure wash the patio..... then ad infinitum
Last edited by: retpocileh on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 11:43
 The first cut - Crankcase

You're either less fazed by bureaucracy than we are or have a different attitude at your local council.

The hoops we have to go through to trim a tree, never mind remove one, take considerable time in form filling, and must include photographic submissions before permission is granted to do anything.

And they always water down what you ask ("you may remove up to 5% of existing height as crown reduction") and the local tree surgeons won't proceed until they see the written certificate of approval anyway.
 The first cut - CGNorwich
Presumably you are talking about a protected tree listed by the council - if its not you can do what you like
 The first cut - sherlock47
>> Presumably you are talking about a protected tree listed by the council - if its
>> not you can do what you like
>>

I think that you will find that if you are in a 'conservation area' a tree does not have to be 'listed' specifically. Anything over a specified size.

Just found

Conservation Areas.
If you are proposing to carry out any work to a tree
with a trunk diameter of more than 75mm in a
Conservation Area(other than a fruit tree), that is not
protected by a Tree Preservation Order you must
give the Council six weeks notice in writing of your
intention.

Penalties for Breaching an Order.
If in contravention of an Order a tree is cut down,
uprooted or wilfully destroyed or is wilfully damaged
or topped or lopped in a manner likely to destroy it,
the person responsible is liable to be fined up to
£20,000 on summary conviction in the Magistrates
Court or to an unlimited fine upon conviction on
indictment in the Crown Court.

Last edited by: pmh on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 18:39
I didn't know that but I don't live in a conservation area.

Do have two 50 foot tall listed oak trees on the edge of my property though and there is indeed a £20,000 fine for cutting down a listed tree.

Guess I will have to continue sweeping up the mounds of leaves every November!
 The first cut - Tooslow
Lovely leaf mould from oak leaves.

John
>> Lovely leaf mould from oak leaves.
>>
>> John
>>

Indeed it is . I end up making about a cubic meter a year. Takes 2 years to rot down though. Sieved a lot at the week end to make some seed compost.

Worst thing about the trees is that I have to clear the gutters twice a year, once when they flower in May and again in January after the leaves have all fallen
 The first cut - Crankcase
Yes, incomprehensibly given the locale, it is a conservation area. I suppose we knew that when we bought it but didn't pay any attention.
Latest Forum Posts