Non-motoring > Coiled garden hoses Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 16

Coiled garden hoses - BobbyG
Anyone got one and recommend it? I have a standard hose in a windy up wall mounted holder (that I still need to get round to wall mounting).

Do the coiled ones work well? I assume the idea is that they remain kink-free and coil back up to save space. But do they do this or do they eventually stretch themselves out like an old fashioned phone cable?

I was thinking of getting a short one - maybe only 10 feet or so for hosing the dog down when it comes back from its walks covered in mud, but an even longer one would be useful for car washing if it worked properly?
 Coiled garden hoses - Manatee
I can see the problem with these. When washing the car I am constantly putting down the hose and picking it up again. Every time you put it down it will shoot back out of reach.

Never thought of that!

Although I usually hose, then wash, then hose and then do each wheel individually.
 Coiled garden hoses - Zero
Throw the dog in the canal on the way home.

Seriously, its a labrador, it can swim like an otter.

Done exactly that today, the lovely fifi found some fox poo in the garden to roll around in, so a trip to canal and one clean dog.
 Coiled garden hoses - captain chaos
if I threw my dog in my local canal it would need to roll around in fox poo to smell better :)
Unfortunately don't have a canal handy - but do have a lovely outside tap !
 Coiled garden hoses - R.P.
Bobby - this dog of yours, it's a spaniel right ? Hasn't it got that special spaniel skill of going from covered from head to tail in mud to covering something else (other people's expensive clothes, car interiors) in mud in a few shakes - I think you've been sold a pup !
No Pug, its a black lab.

And yes, we learned a lesson - we have an integral garage that leads to utility room.
First time I hosed it down, it then ran into the utility room and did its full body shake and covered the washing that was hanging on the clothes horse!!
Whoops - Doghouse ?
I carry a towel in the car. After the first time the dog did its shake n vac in the boot area.

Yes it does travel to the front. A labs tail is like a coiled whip and can throw muck about 30 yards
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 08:52
 Coiled garden hoses - Iffy
Bobby,

I'm surprised you haven't got one of those flat canvas hoses which can be unrolled very quickly. :)
Iffy, it would clash with the sprinkler system :)
As from April this year all new build houses in Wales will have to have integrated sprinkler systems....bad news if you're cooking something fun !
I thought welsh nationalists had stopped burning houses?
That would only have made a difference in my house if the sprinkler system was mounted in the loft!
 Coiled garden hoses - Stuartli
I have a 30ft coiled hose as well as a standard one. The coiled hose is an absolute pain and is rarely used as the spirals keep tangling up inside each other, whilst it has to be continually pulled to maintain the required length.
 Coiled garden hoses - Iffy
...Iffy, it would clash with the sprinkler system :)...

Sprinkler system - is that after a few too many swellies in Bobby's Wee Bar?

Latest Forum Posts