Non-motoring > An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 28

An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene - R.P.
ratings.food.gov.uk/QuickSearch.aspx?terms&lang

Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 13:05
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene . - bathtub tom
It says: "No information is available for some areas".

Including mine.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 13:00
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - R.P.
My local Chinese (in Llanberis) is brilliant - cracking food freshly prepared and lovely service from an ever cheerful Chinese woman - reassuringly it scores a 5
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene . - Zero
my area is not covered,
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 13:05
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene . - Focusless
ditto
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 13:01
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene - Focusless
In fact for the South East it looks like they only cover Dartford, Epsom & Ewell and Reigate & Banstead :(
ratings.food.gov.uk/LocalAuthority.aspx?reg=SE
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 13:00
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene . - Stuartli
My local council, Sefton MBC, has a website feature entitled Scores on the Doors.

Some of the results of the council's food and safety hygiene staff's investigations into virtually every qualifying establishment are, surprising, to say the least. See:

tinyurl.com/4j65ktp

Nationally:

www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk/fac.php
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 12:59
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene - Cliff Pope
"Major improvements necessary" at our local supermarket.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 12:59
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - Focusless
Were thinking of going to the local Indian for stepson's birthday this evening. Rating:

Stars: 0
Confidence in Management: little
Hygiene and Safety: poor
Structural: bad

Maybe not!

Actually I need to check whether it hasn't changed hands since this info was added (September), as we went there a few weeks ago and lived to tell the tale. Quite nice actually.
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - Alanovich
You can't beat Bina in Caversham for an Indian, Focus. Best in Reddin' I reckon. And I've tried most of 'em......
Thanks for the tip - I think I've heard of it before. Advantage of the local is that it's walking distance - Caversham means driving into Reading, which as you know isn't always that much fun, and of course not drinking :(
In fact looking at the list from 0 stars up I recognize most of the local places we go to eat!
Indeed. Bina is walking distance for me, happily, as is the also excellent Spice Oven. Along with Myalacarte, Kyrenia, Quattro and Suwanna. Not to mention The Moderation for an excellent pint. Life's pretty good in old Cavvers.
3 restaurants/takeaways in walking distance of us:

Indian: 0 stars
Chippy: 1 star
Pizza/chicken: 3 stars

Pizza it is then :)
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - R.P.
Two of the Indians (one of which I've patronized regularly) score low numbers. Not too worried.

Scarily a school a bit further away scores a 2 and in the same village a butcher scores 1. There is a superb butchers in the next village, the inspectors were there when I called the other afternoon.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 13:29
Focus, where are you getting these scores when you said above that there's no info for your area on the OP's link?
Sorry, that was from Stuartli's link.
Dur, didn't spot those. Too much curry at the weekend I imagine. ;-)
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - Zero
>> Sorry, that was from Stuartli's link.

My areas not in that list either.

I shall just go by the friends test. If they go to a place and are still alive it must be ok.
>> Life's pretty good in old Cavvers.

Discovered yesterday that the Hills Meadow car park on your side of the river seems to be the only one now that offers free Sunday parking. Cattle Market has joined the ranks of £3 all day.
>> Discovered yesterday that the Hills Meadow car park on your side of the river seems
>> to be the only one now that offers free Sunday parking.

Whoops - just looked at the NCP site and it looks like I should have paid £1. That was lucky.
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 14:30
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - devonite
very poorly set-up site! - typed in first half of my postcode and it only read the first 2letters and the first number, and gave me a list for a town 50 miles away! so..typed in the name of our town, and it listed eating places ifrom paisley to Monmouthshire! - so i`ve given up! the grub hasn`t killed me yet so what difference does a rating make to me?
>> yet so what difference does a rating make to me?

true but I probably won't be taking my OAP parents to the 0 star place
 A useful link to check your Takeaway's hygiene. - Perky Penguin
Some revealing results in my two areas of interest. I thought it odd that Halfords in Bracknell had a hygiene rating? Perhaps they were looking at the staff facilities for food and drink. A lot of schools had 5* ratings and my local Chinese, where I have never eaten, has 1* so they won't get my trade.
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - Perky Penguin
I guess the rating could tell you how close you came getting the trots!
My local Tesco Express has a rating of 2, compared to Lidl's 5.

Even the local Tesco megathing only gets 4.
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - helicopter
Well it is interesting that the local hot food static burger and sandwich bar on our industrial estate scores 4 stars for hygiene.

It stands in the yard of the local ice cream company and the council have rated all their ice cream vans for hygiene as well , giving the registration numbers.....most were 4 star rated.

Only problem is remembering if the ice cream van you are buying from is the one that got 5 stars or 2 .....
 An useful link to check your Takeaway's hygine. - Dave_
The bikers' pub near me (which I have mentioned before on here) received 0 stars. Only 1 star for the chinese takeaway down the street too, oh dear.

Daughter's school rates 5 stars though, as does the carvery pub we use occasionally.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Mon 14 Mar 11 at 20:46
>> Were thinking of going to the local Indian for stepson's birthday this evening. Rating:
>>
>> Stars: 0
>> Confidence in Management: little
>> Hygiene and Safety: poor
>> Structural: bad
>>
>> Maybe not!

By the time I got home it had already been decided that we were having an Indian from the local, albeit in takeaway form. It was very nice, and stepsons who went to collect it were given free beers while they waited.

But if I don't post tomorrow... :)
Latest Forum Posts