Non-motoring > Passport photos Computing Issues
Thread Author: MD Replies: 33

Passport photos - MD
Morning all,

Has anyone any experience of a utility on t'net to print passport photos in a block?

Thanks, Martin.
 Passport photos - R.P.
I needed some for my Census ID card, caved in in the end and went to Tesco...less hassle.
 Passport photos - Zero
And me, far easier to go to the photo booth at tesco.
 Passport photos - Iffy
...I needed some for my Census ID card, caved in in the end and went to Tesco...less hassle...

I'm surprised at you PU, the Photo Booth utility on the Mac will produce a grid of pictures.

A strip of passport photos is part of the desktop icon, so I'm guessing it will do it.

Passport photos - Zero
There all the hastle about face postion, background, lighting.

far easier at tesco.
 Passport photos - R.P.
The printing was not an issue just the actual photo itself. I toyed with iPhone self portrait and even the mac's camera, in the end Tesco was easier.
 Passport photos - Iffy
... in the end Tesco was easier...

I did the same for my last mugshots - it didn't occur to me to try the computer.

Passport photos - MD
How much Zero?
 Passport photos - Zero
seem to recall 4 quid for a block of 4?
 Passport photos - spamcan61
>> seem to recall 4 quid for a block of 4?
>>

Much the same price at my local chemist, couple of minutes with an old style Polaroid, more or less, job done.
 Passport photos - Iffy
...There all the hastle about face postion, background, lighting...far easier at tesco...

Don't disagree, although you can set the background on the Mac, so it would be possible for someone who knew their way around the program.

Passport photos - -
My identity photos give the impression they have been taken in a place of secure custody with the number i should be holding and background height label edited out.
 Passport photos - R.P.
4 quid and you'll get the VAT back....!
 Passport photos - Iffy
...4 quid and you'll get the VAT back....!...

Pedant mode set to high.

Is there VAT on a printed image?

There isn't on books or magazines, although the photobooth may be classed as a service, so I expect VAT does apply.

As regards cost, I think my last ones might have been five or six quid - pound coins required.

Passport photos - Zero
>> My identity photos give the impression they have been taken in a place of secure
>> custody with the number i should be holding and background height label edited out.

Mine make me look like a registered sex offender.
 Passport photos - MD
If the cap fits......No wait....not allowed hats. o:-)
 Passport photos - Bromptonaut
From the official website tinyurl.com/6kk8k2l (DierctGov)

Passport photographs must be professionaly printed (ptographs printed at home are not acceptable.

Don't know if they test or if so how carefully provided you use proper paper. But it's easier to use a professional booth or the service at Timpsons in Siansbury's then argue.
 Passport photos - Londoner
>> Mine make me look like a registered sex offender.
>>
Ah! If only there really WAS such a look to act as a foolproof warning.
Unfortunately most of them slip comfortably under the radar.
 Passport photos - Old Navy
I have a wife with a camera, Photoshop, and a decent printer that can use photo paper. It worked for our passports, and I have just renewed my photo driving licence, (when does yours expire?). DVLA access the passport photo for this renewal.
 Passport photos - Zero
>> I have a wife with a camera,

So do I, but I am not sure a blurred thumb would get through passport control.

With e-passport readers being used I will stick with photome.

Plus I used to make them booths many years ago.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 12:44
 Passport photos - RattleandSmoke
I've always just used photoshop, never had any problems.

Even my driving licence is photoshopped!
They're probably worried about the impermanent nature of most inkjet images rather than home printing per se, although if that is the case then why don't they say so.
 Passport photos - Bromptonaut
>> They're probably worried about the impermanent nature of most inkjet images rather than home printing
>> per se, although if that is the case then why don't they say so.

Explainig things to the public is a double edged sword. While plenty think like you (and I) do others just will tell you it's wrong/there's a reason why they are an exemption etc.
>> >> They're probably worried about the impermanent nature of most inkjet images rather than home
>> printing
>> >> per se, although if that is the case then why don't they say so.
>>
>>
>> Explainig things to the public is a double edged sword. While plenty think like you
>> (and I) do others just will tell you it's wrong/there's a reason why they are
>> an exemption etc.
>>
A fair point, they don't want half the population phoning them to ask if their printer is OK to use blah blah.
 Passport photos - Skoda
I just got my driving licence renewed, at the post office they've a new booth setup in front of the counter for doing these on site. Looks like some kind of medical scan device but did the job and no faffing about.
 Passport photos - Iffy
You could hire a car and ask them for a copy of the picture they've just taken.

Passport photos - Mike Hannon
I took the (awful quality) pic for my last passport change five years ago and, to my surprise, they accepted it.
SWMBO is in the process of changing hers and they now won't accept a home pic so we coughed up the 5 euros for 5 at a supermarche photo booth. There's a stamp on the sheet saying that if you held your head in the recommended position the pix comply with a European standard requirement for biometrics.
Alexei Sayle once said Photo-Me booths are actually situated on cracks in the space/time continuum, which explains why sometimes you go to where you think you've seen one and it isn't there any more. And the face that looks back at you from the machine is some sad, dis-spirited person from a parallel universe where it is always raining - which is why your prints are wet when they come out. Sounded reasonable to me...
Incidentally, expats in France used to send their old passport and paperwork to the British Consulate in Paris, which guaranteed to issue the new one within ten days at roughly the same price as in the UK. Now the Consulate takes 170 euros, sends everything you send them on to a centre in the UK and hopes you will get your passport back within four weeks. You are advised not to contact them until six weeks are up if it goes missing. Ho hum...
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 16:32
 Passport photos - Zero

>> Alexei Sayle once said Photo-Me booths are actually situated on cracks in the space/time continuum,

Amazing things. I worked at the PhotoMe factory in the early 70s. The brains was a synchronous motor driving sets of cams and microswitches to start, time and stop all the functions. The camera was a fixed focus, fixed aperture giant box brownie type, the flash had banks of capacitors that, when charged, would turn your screwdriver into a klingon death ray if you shorted it out. Developing took place by the film being dipped into a a revolving carousel of chemicals in sequence.

The coin unit, sequencer, camera and flash tubes were bought in, but everything else, including cabinet carpentry was done on site.

Now I assume its one small camera, an electronic board, and a cannon ink jet.
 Passport photos - rtj70
If the photos are actually for a passport they are quite a bit more particular now compared to a few years ago. If you sit to close or too far away... might reject it. Reflections on your glasses... might reject it so don't wear glasses.

It can be tricky to get them right in a booth. What I've found is a local chemist has an instant camera that does passport photos. They will take as many as they need until they get a set that will be right. And charge for only the one that is okay. I think Jessops offer this as a service.

Last time I needed photos for a passport in Dec 2009... I used Tesco. Yes I have a Mac too but busy moving house at the time.
 Passport photos - The Nut
>>They will take as many as they need until they get a set that will be right. And charge for only the one that is okay

My local post office has a ink refill, photo printing and large format printing buisness attatched they will do passport photos for £5 and guarantee that it's right. They take the photo and display it on screen and use overlays to make sure that possitioning is correct. Also they will take multiple photos until you are happy with it as well as it conforming, Mrs Nut had the poor guy take about 6 (apparently identical) photos before she was happy!
 Passport photos - henry k
I had my last passport photos taken at a long establish photographers for a competative price.
He was not busy so he photo shopped the results in all sorts of ways.
The passport office must have a vintage knackered scanner because the end result is awful compared with the supplied photo.
So next time I will get the cheapest available knowing that they will probably get " distorted" anyway.
 Passport photos - NortonES2
Tricky? Damn near impossible if you take your glasses off to appease the rule-makers! They initially, and no doubt wisely, rejected my attempt to pass off a spare 20yr old photo. The DVLA did their bit to demoralise. Not the most comforting comment when the photo on the application for address change, is ringed in red on the reject slip "old photo?" And now I have the shame of submitting to their unsympathetic gaze, a vile booth photo. I doubt DVLA will accept the new ones. The new booth-inflicted photos have given SWMBO endless mirth. The result? A wan visage with such excessive contrast that the eye sockets and lids appear to have been mascara'd. On the evidence, which might now be in front of the hooting mob in Swansea, a grumpy old git, with make-up. I was unable to see the screen properly is my defence. And forgot the old technique of pinning some paper tissue over the flash (4 of the swines) to reduce the over-exposure.
 Passport photos - BiggerBadderDave
"Now I assume its one small camera, an electronic board, and a cannon ink jet."

Yes, I've always thought the one in Waterloo Station lacked the most essential bit of kit - tissue dispenser.

I have very happy memories of that Photo-me booth.
 Passport photos - Zero

>> Yes, I've always thought the one in Waterloo Station lacked the most essential bit of
>> kit - tissue dispenser.

Never taught them to swallow Dave?
Latest Forum Posts