Non-motoring > Hidden card charges to be banned Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 23

Hidden card charges to be banned - CGNorwich

Interesting to know what Ryanair will call their replacement charge

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13932299
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Zero
They are going to ignore it.

Ryanair responded to the OFT's move by arguing that its administration fees, which include card charges, were optional and "fully avoidable" for customers using a pre-paid card.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Old Navy
>> They are going to ignore it.
>>
At least you can choose your airline. I hope these cheapo airlines treat their staff better than their customers.

I don't understand why some passengers expect all sorts of support when a plane is late or cancelled though. Its no different to a bus or train disruption.
The bus tends not to leave you stranded 3000 miles away from home with nowhere to stay.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Meldrew
Ban - sounds great. Enforcement - unlikely.
>> The bus tends not to leave you stranded 3000 miles away from home with nowhere
>> to stay.
>>

You are a big boy now, if you can get 3000 miles, you can look after yourself.
I can, yeah. Most of the plonkers cant tho.

In all seriousness, it takes longer to get a replacement plan on line than it does a bus. Specially one of the budget airlines who dont have spare planes to bring on line, delays can be 24 hours.

I agree tho, its outdated legislation, stemming from the days of sea travel. Like carrying life rafts and life jackets. - Pointless. Only ever been used once.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - RattleandSmoke
Even when buses fail, they do have an obligation to put on some sort of alternative route.

I personally find the way Ryan Air etc advertise is dishonest, when I book a train I don't expect to be able to get to London for 99p but then have to pay £50 to hang my coat up.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Bromptonaut
>> Even when buses fail, they do have an obligation to put on some sort of
>> alternative route.

And the railway industry acts as one when the chips are down.

Tonight there must have been problems at Paddington and Kings X The Euston announcements were telling passengers for Reading to change at Coventry - a very long way round - and for Leeds/York to change at Manchester
 Hidden card charges to be banned - R.P.
Sounds horrible - weather related signal failure... ?
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Stuartli
>>And the railway industry acts as one when the chips are down.>>

The latest amazing reason why trains are late/not running:

tinyurl.com/66yvwd8

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13926651
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Bromptonaut
>> >>And the railway industry acts as one when the chips are down.>>
>>
>> The latest amazing reason why trains are late/not running:

Sagging power lines (or rails buckling) in the heat is not a new one Stu. Design parameters are temperatures commonly expererinced inthe UK. Long time since I remeber it being as oppressively hoy in London as it was on Monday. High 'radiant' remperatures from the sun are one thing, the 'convective' nature of it on Monday was something else.

New designs of catenary cope better than the fifties vintage stuff still in use at Liverpool St - now being upgraded.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - CGNorwich
Not sure I would describe it as dishonest, more mildly irritating. Ryanair actually provide a decent product at a competitive price and why they don't simply take a more open approach to their pricing I don't undertand. I think it would gain them more customers than they would lose.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Manatee
>>why they don't simply take a more open approach to their pricing I don't undertand.

Headline pricing. Ryanair started this to maintain cheaper headline pricing than others. The inevitable result being that others followed. Now nobody can raise their headline price without losing business.

>>I think it would gain them more customers than they would lose.

I think that would be a real challenge to capitalise on. If it was that easy they'd do it.

The real scandal is that Ryanair's excuse for not being more open is that the charge is avoidable by using a prepaid card. This is very cynical and disingenuous, because pre-paid cards are not materially different in cost for Ryanair - it's just that almost nobody has one. People who use Ryanair regularly will get a pre-pay card, but most of us using them for one-offs won't have one.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - rtj70
I have to say up front I have only ever booked once with Ryanair and due to events we could not travel. But I couldn't cancel the seats... I knew I wouldn't get a refund etc. but they could not comprehend. I was happy they resold and used all three seats. But not possible to cancel.

But I do not like how they operate and not tried them yet. They are very arrogant IMO from what I read.

But I booked train tickets to London for today. Using the company preferred provider. I think the charge for credit card works out at 2% because it was £5+. I could have paid cash (of my money) just before going on holiday. Checked and we're okay to claim it back. But for the small discount for my train times (advanced online fares can be a lot cheaper).... I should have gone to the local station.

But then I could have saved money going first class this morning. But we're not allowed :-)
 Hidden card charges to be banned - henry k
One report today said ...in any case the EU is looking into this pratice and are expected ti impose a EU wide directive that only "reasonable" charges can be added.

Now found a reference to it and lots of other happenings.
www.balkans.com/open-news.php?uniquenumber=109780
>> >>why they don't simply take a more open approach to their pricing I don't undertand.
>>
>>
>> Headline pricing. Ryanair started this to maintain cheaper headline pricing than others. The inevitable result
>> being that others followed. Now nobody can raise their headline price without losing business.
>>
>> >>I think it would gain them more customers than they would lose.
>>
>> I think that would be a real challenge to capitalise on. If it was that
>> easy they'd do it.

Headline pricing doesn't cut it any more. Everyone who checks Ryan Air pricing knows you are going to get caught with charges. They really are loosing more business now by not being honest and up front.

In relative terms ALL air travel is miles cheaper than it ever was.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 20:13
 Hidden card charges to be banned - Manatee
When you are right Z, Michael O'Leary will drop or vary the card charges again. We might be quite close to that point, but history suggests MOL knows where the profit is.

I imagine the dynamics are quite complicated. Single passengers may be less resistant to the card charges than families; business travellers won't care either way.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - teabelly
The whole idea of charging extra to actually pay is insulting. It is an online transaction so it will be a card! The airline industries and any others should be prevented from charging differently. Debit charges are peanuts. I also think they do it deliberately to discourage people from using cards with added consumer protection ie some debit cards and credit cards.

Simple solution is to regulate payment charges so that clearers cannot charge differing rates on different types of cards. Then it will end the ridiculous idea that it should cost more to pay with one type of card as opposed to another. It's all electronic payment processing. It all costs bog all to process.

Hidden card charges to be banned - Roger.
Many States in the USA, including California, the home of eBay, have a law which makes it illegal to charge for accepting a card payment.
The argument is that it is unfair to differentiate between cash & card customers.
A few years ago (and maybe still today) eBay.com enforced this rule for listings, but eBay.co.uk did not as the practice was legal here.

>> payment processing. It all costs bog all to process.

Actually it does cost. The CC issuer takes a % of the purchase price.

And there is the rub really. Ryan Air set themselves up as an online airline. There is no other way to pay except by card. The whole purchase process is designed that way. Therefore the cost should be in the purchase price, not a hidden extra. Its not an extra its a fundamental part of the purchase price.

They should be prosecuted for fraud.
Hidden card charges to be banned, rubbish, they will be hidden elswhere.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - movilogo
I can understand charging extra for credit card, by doing that for debit card is atrocious. A debit card is equivalent to cash payment.

It is indeed paying for paying.
 Hidden card charges to be banned - zippy
All businesses have to pay for all forms of payment.

Cash is processed by the bank at a percentage, cheques and BGCs usually have a flat fee.

Of couse businesses dont have to bank cash.

Large cos have negotiated flat, small percentage or monthly fees for credit and debit cards so the fee charged may bear no relation to the actual cost.

Latest Forum Posts