Non-motoring > Tugs I worked on as a youngster. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 18

Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrNSzVUe0LY

Tug Noordpool the majority of work with this tug was towing barges and floating cranes.The Buizerd seawork shipping.The Australia out of Vlaardingen the Petrol harbours and assisting the tugs at Europoort for the big iron ore and fuel tankers arriving.Found this clip on you tube memories.
 Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Focusless
Nice music - I know it as 'City of New Orleans' by John Denver (dad was a fan).
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNIfU0SyCw4

Any idea what sort of engine you'd find in one of those D?
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 27 Oct 11 at 18:54
 Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Zero
The Arlo Guthrie version, is, to me, the seminal version of that song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 27 Oct 11 at 19:33
 Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Dog
D'ya ever meet any subs Dutchie ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrKHLQMA_5U&feature=related
I have seen that clip a few times Dog.Tug was pushing on the sub starboard bow.Tug stopped pushing and slid along the sub hitting his stearn plates that is what i could hear.

Why the tug didn't back off earlier from the sub I dont know maybe lack of power.

Then the tug got somehow jammed at the stearn of the sub.Instead of the sub stopping his engines it gives full power a lot of shouting tug gets into trouble and the sub still gives plenty of power you can see the wash from the sub.Tug skipper gives full astern and there she goes.

Its easy sat here beyond a computer given judgement it happened very quick.We had a few near misses on tugs.The early tugs didn't have bow trusters and we couldn't go sideways.

We towed once a big American Aircraft Carrier in,the crew wouldn't use the roeiers {boatman}
To work the ship they used their own mooring boats from the carrier quite a few of the crew fell in the river:) Yanks.
>>Yanks<<

Yeah, say's it all ;)

I bet you could (should) write a book on your experiences Dutchie (like Lud)

When I posted that YouTube on the tug/sub, I was 'actually' looking for Tugboat Annie (which you've seen umpteen times!)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_aTtWHO9w&feature=related
Nice clip Dog.Lud has the writing skills me amateur in comparison.I bet you've had some experiences Dog we all have in our own way live is strange...:)
You could emply the services of a Ghostwriter Dutchie ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostwriter

My friend Lauri the leather craftsman had a ghost writing up his very interesting life story,
but Lauri died before it could be finished,

I more or less know the whole story so who knows - I may put pen to paper one day, if only to stop myself going mad up here in an isolated stone cottage in the back of beyond - just like Lauri was!
You know Dog my mother used to say I should write a book.She used to take changes during the war sorry Pat..;) She protected once a chap who was getting hit by some German soldiers.The train full of jews stopped in Nieuweschans for transport to Germany.She was very lucky not to be on the train.

Write about Lauri Dog you can write you are witty,if I write a book it be a romance and I be lonely when my missus will say auf wiedersehn.>:)
>>Write about Lauri Dog you can write you are witty,if I write a book it be a romance and I be lonely when my missus will say auf wiedersehn.>:)<<

Tehe! - Lauri was in the Merchant Navy, a British Soldier stationed in Vienna, an inmate in various mental institutions, a convicted bank robber in Canada, and that's just for starters, why, I could 'fill a book' :)
Lauri sounds like a caracter Dog,bank robbing never got that far.Bonny and Clyde.

Mental institutations there is a fine line between sanity and insanity.Often these people are very bright but don't fit into a system obey.>:)

May he rest in peace.
>>Mental institutations there is a fine line between sanity and insanity.Often these people are very bright but don't fit into a system obey.>:)<<

He certainly wasn't mad Dutchie, well - no madder than me ;}

He used to 'act up' when he fancied going into a psychiatric unit, for food and women.

Not necessarily in that order either!!
 Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Ted
>> The Arlo Guthrie version, is, to me, the seminal version of that song.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ

I have it by Willie Nelson...more seminal than your's, Z. :-p

Ted
>>
 Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Zero
>> >> The Arlo Guthrie version, is, to me, the seminal version of that song.
>> >>
>> >> www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ
>>
>> I have it by Willie Nelson...more seminal than your's, Z. :-p

Well the version more seminal than either of them is by the guy who wrote it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXGFKpWUOW0
Sorry Focus didn't see your question.The majority of the Engines where Werkspoor.Good engines they got serviced regulary.Also Deutz reliable engines.
 Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Focusless
>> Sorry Focus didn't see your question.

No problem. I was thinking more in terms of size; I mean, would they be even bigger than the mighty 2.0 in my Focus? :)
Yes .;.) Another good engine we had on the pilot launches in the UK was the Gardner run for ever.

The Launch I sailed on was a ex snibby fishing vessel from Scotland.She must be about 55 years old now.I have talked to the owner in York he takes her into the Med.Lovely boat designed for rough weather.

The Australia was the largest tug in this clip we worked out of Vlaardingen just outside Rotterdam.

12 hr shifts I used to like the job met some great people and had some fun.
A Pilot Launch.
 Tugs I worked on as a youngster. - Mapmaker
Youtube suggested I should then watch this one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=deX7R9RbmX0

So I did, and up popped - most appropriately - an ad for Saga cruises...
Latest Forum Posts