Non-motoring > Delicious surprises Miscellaneous
Thread Author: HF Replies: 91

Delicious surprises - HF
Ok, this is RP's fault not mine, and it's an antigen for the 'disappointments' thread.

This one is to celebrate life, and to share whatever things have happened, big or small, which have been unexpectedly wonderful, and made you believe that humanity and the wonders of the world still exist.

Please answer, because I will feel really stupid if nobody does.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 27 Oct 11 at 21:21
 Delicious surprises - teabelly
Today. Was really miserable and drizzly then I noticed Chelmsford 123 has finally been released on DVD! Simple things :-)
 Delicious surprises - spamcan61
>> Today. Was really miserable and drizzly then I noticed Chelmsford 123 has finally been released
>> on DVD! Simple things :-)
>>

Yay! I've been waiting for that as well!; thanks for starting the thread HF.
 Delicious surprises - Stuu
Ginger Ale. Mmmm.

Tesco Finest Pork & Caramelised Onion Sausages. Grrr.

Becoming a father, crikey the first time you hold them is momentous, you expect it to be quite a thing but I think it actually changes your brain chemistry, life just seemed like it means alot more knowing they exist, even more so when they start to look like you, poor kid :-)
 Delicious surprises - henry k
>> Becoming a father, crikey the first time you hold them is momentous, you expect it
>> to be quite a thing but I think it actually changes your brain chemistry, life
>> just seemed like it means alot more knowing they exist, even more so when they
>> start to look like you, poor kid :-)
>>
One of my favourite pieces of writing. Read and enjoy.

community.babycentre.co.uk/post/a7750565/laurie_lee_will_make_you_cry...
 Delicious surprises - Bromptonaut
Aldi Treacle Cured smoked bacon.
 Delicious surprises - R.P.
Nooohh.....must find the nearest Aldi tomorrow.
 Delicious surprises - Dog
Sex.

Once I'd got the hang of it.

:-)
So how is it hanging ? :-)
 Delicious surprises - HF
If this is getting raucous already.....

no, i have said enough ;)
 Delicious surprises - Meldrew
We should hope it is standing
>>So how is it hanging ? :-)<<

Mods, can you ban this R.P. character, there are Ladies present!

;-)
 Delicious surprises - Dutchie
Keep it hanging Dog you frighten the neighbours allegedly.>:)
I'll ban myself ! :-)
 Delicious surprises - ....
My wife's omelettes (please don't let this drop in behind Dog's posts).
For someone who comes from the right side of the wall I was amazed she knew how to cook anything other than mince.
 Delicious surprises - HF
This one is a bit tame compared to what i was going to say. But, just sitting here, listening to Jerusalem, is fairly close to perfect.
>>My wife's omelettes (please don't let this drop in behind Dog's posts)<<

- - - > ROTFL < - - -
Being using the slow cooker all the veg let it simmer overnight,bit like a stew very tasty..
 Delicious surprises - Roger.
Figgy duff.
 Delicious surprises - Runfer D'Hills
Been to see this today. Cried laughing throughout. Highly recommended.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOSZLgzgnBs
Sainsbury's Bread and butter pudding - not had it in recent years - but seriously yummie.
 Delicious surprises - Ted

Holding your child's new-born child for the first time and instantly falling for him/her.

Parking the bike on the Pride of Hull, knowing that a couple of weeks of freedom lie ahead !

Listening to Horowitz playing Chopin...as I am now whilst typing.

Ted
Can't eat it anymore to filling for me.Love bread and butter pudding.Thick custard.
 Delicious surprises - CGNorwich
" things have happened, big or small, which have been unexpectedly wonderful, and made you believe that humanity and the wonders of the world still exist."

Last year I watched a beautiful heron land in a rather irritating neighbour's garden and skewer a couple of his favourite koi. Nature is truly magnificent at times.
 Delicious surprises - Pat
Thank you CG for the voice of reason on this thread:)

Up to now it seems that it's only food or sex that has been a delicious surprise for any of you.

More frequency should cure both.

Creating a garden from an overgrown wilderness and finding that frogs, hedgehogs, grass snakes, squirrels and the odd stray cat really wanted to come and live with us.

Finding three lorry driving mates who came and turned that wilderness into a garden for us when mrpda was ill. They layed a patio, hired a mini digger and dug out a pond, put up a shed and a greenhouse, and an arbour. Outside lights appeared and turf was laid but all I had to do was feed them. We laughed and laughed over the whole job despite all of our worries.

Pat
 Delicious surprises - Zero
Finding out that CGN has a rather delicious streak of revenge, cruelty and irony running through him.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 08:50
 Delicious surprises - Iffy
...Finding out that CGN has a rather delicious streak of revenge, cruelty and irony running through him...

That's been evident to me ever since he's been posting.

Plenty of other posters on here have a bit of life about them.

It's what makes the place interesting.

Delicious surprises - Robin O'Reliant
Getting permission from Mrs RR to convert part of the spare-room/office into a layout for an N guage railway.

Bring it on.
 Delicious surprises - Fenlander
That's a result RR... but beware Zero twitching his long lens in your direction now he knows.

Similarly earlier this year I was reading out various used boat ads to Mrs F with the relative merits of distance to collect, condition etc. Taken aback to have her reply... *why don't you treat yourself to a new one to save all the hassle*.

I was straight on the phone to get one ordered before she changed her mind!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 11:53
...I was straight on the phone to get one ordered before she changed her mind!...

Obvious question, what sort of boat are you having?

I don't see you as a gin palace man, so my money's on a sensible little river cruiser.

Reasonable guess Iffy. After a lifetime of family boating from sailing boats on the broads to larger craft cruising across to France and The Channel Islands I find myself unpacking this...

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/zodiacincar.jpg/

To make this...

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/plocktonpontoon.jpg/

And visit places like this...

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/plocktonwake.jpg/

Modest costs... huge fun.
 Delicious surprises - Bromptonaut
Food again.

Just nipped out to Sainsbury's for a lunchtime sarnie. Current limited edition offer is Roast Pork & Red Cabbage on malted bread.

Almost want a second!
I hope my other half doesn't see this - she had a trip in a Police RIB in Liverpool - she wants one.
...Modest costs... huge fun...

What I believe is called a RIB - rigid inflatable boat.

I've been out in, it had a hole in the bottom, not very reassuring, but I was told it was part of the design.

Almost Iffy. Mine is called a SIB (soft inflatable boat)... it packs down to 120cm x 80cm x 40cm deflated and everything fits into the car load space. It has an alloy floor of 4 sections that assemble and lock to make a rigid floor.

A RIB has a permanent GRP hull with inflatable tubes added for buoyancy... they are very capable in rough a sea but often much larger than we need and have to be trailered to a proper slipway to launch.

The hole is so the hull under the floor you walk on floods at rest to give stability rather than bobbing about like a cork. Once you rise onto the plane the water is discharged from the hole until next time you stop.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 14:11
...The hole is so the hull under the floor you walk on floods at rest to give stability rather than bobbing about like a cork. Once you rise onto the plane the water is discharged from the hole until next time you stop...

Makes sense, thanks.

The one I was in was small, but the RNLI use bigger ones for their inshore boats.

Well you learn something every day. The hole thing does make sense when explained. My first reaction was that it must have been designed and built by Murphy's Boatyards.

"Now, sure lads, what we''ll do with this here boat is cut a hole in the bottom. That'll make it more stable..."

:-)
>>>RIBS... RNLI use bigger ones for their inshore boats

Been a significant RNLI supporter for many years. The introduction of the RIBS gave a massive boost to the speed and effectiveness of short/medium range rescues.

Probably the best rough weather inshore boats ever...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaXrhJ8wLIM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I hope these boys knew just how grateful they should have been to see that boat.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcPMhRj-O8s&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 15:12
...Been a significant RNLI supporter for many years...

I've been for a run out in an offshore RNLI boat.

Impressive piece of kit, but so it should be for upwards of £1m (I think).

The roof inside is padded so you don't hurt your head when it rolls over.

Sadly as predicted she's spotted it - er...where would one get one from Fen.....and how sort of modest are the costs ? Only asking you understand.....:-)
Do you mean a carry in the back of the car fully inflatable like mine (for 2-5 folks) or a full blown RIB on a trailer like an RNLI one?
She likes the one you're buying - I said this would happen :-(
Well the most suitable size inflatable for using from a car with no trailer is around 3.4-3.6m. New this Honda (it's what I have now) 3.5m is around £850 delivered...

www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/info_HZT35-AE.html

Or a Zodiac 3.4m for around £1100 delivered if you fancy them more...

www.ronhalemarine.co.uk/superbasket/product/381/Zodiac_Cadet_340_Solid

You need a set of £100 transom wheels to trolley it it to the water from being inflated/set-up in the car park

marinedirect.co.uk/images/sunsport%20small.jpg

Then £100 for an auto-stop pump that runs from the car 12V so you don't look a fool pumpinng the thing up for ages.

Outboard motor of 10 or 15hp around £2000 new. By law only 4-strokes can be sold new and they are a bit heavier than 2-strokes with less snappy pickup... so for inflatables most folks look for a mint used 2-stroke around 5yrs old for £750-£1200.

Safety kit of 2 lifejackets (£120), flare kit (£50), ropes/anchor etc (£50) and handheld VHF (£130). BTW You need a one day course for VHF licence.

Insurance fully comp with £3 million 3rd party a bargain £45.

At this time of year there are often bargain little used outfits on Ebay like this one which went for £1800...

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/zodiac-3-4-fastroller-inflatable-rib-and-suzuki15hp-4stroke-engine-no-trailer-/220876400492?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item336d42676c

In broad terms that's about £3500 of kit at new prices so a great saving.

Most important you're in the perfect place to access Trearddur Bay and its beach/slipway... the perfect place to operate an inflatable.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 21:21
She wants one !!

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 21:22
Well if you're serious and want to feel free to mail for any specific info.
Thanks shell be reading this tomorrow !
 Delicious surprises - rtj70
On holiday earlier this month saw two men loading a rigid inflatable onto the roof of a Mondeo estate. The boat looked heavy with the trailer it was on... but they got it all on the roof.

Plates on the car were Italian I think so not to far from northern Croatia.
 Delicious surprises - DeeW
PU, the one vital thing that Fenlander left off his list - the RYA Power Boat course - level 2 should be sufficient for what your wife wants as she will not be trying to rescue others! This should take a weekend to complete and ensures she will be able to handle her boat in most situations.

Fair point DeeW. Had RP asked more off forum I would have mentioned the need for guidance. I'm also in favour of learning from club resources or buddy boating through a club or with others of obvious experience.
 Delicious surprises - WillDeBeest
Tee hee, RR - similar sensation for me when Mrs Beest OK'd the conversion of one border of the garden to a permanent Alpinesque home for the G-scale railway my dad bought - notionally for my brother and me - in 1976. Site is now clear; anyone know where I can buy some big grey rocks?
}%---)
yes, there is a big grey rock store on the A1 northbound, just outside Sandy in Beds, just before the garage with the sex shop attached.

They also appear to have a huge grey stone wildebeast for sale too.

correction it may be a water buffalo, who can tell them apart.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 14:40
 Delicious surprises - WillDeBeest
...who can tell them apart?

Well you...you...I'll...I oughta...

Actually someone oughta tell Buffalo Fence of Wallingford that the animal on their signs is a bison.
You can't wash your hands in a buffalo.
The first joke I was taught Humph!
A GARAGE WITH A SEX SHOP ????!!!!

How does that work ?
Dunno, but I'd be wary of asking them to check my horn.
Or to.....oh never mind already had one telling off in this thread.
>>Or to.....oh never mind already had one telling off in this thread.<<

ITMA!!
>> A GARAGE WITH A SEX SHOP ????!!!!
>>
>> How does that work ?

Well, It was a shed in the garage forecourt, much like Humphs new shed I suspect, then it took over an air conditioning place, which also shares the garage access.

Mind its not as good as the one on the A1 southbound near Grantham, which has

The store also has a huge, private car park, with plenty of room for lorries and coach parties. A visit to the new, A1 sexy adult superstore is an absolute must!

Its not far down the road from the Fox pub, also on the A1, which was a brothel, but when it got closed down is now a Transvestite party place, with a large area for truckers parking.

The A1 has it all when it comes to perversions.,

Well I'm impressed - wasn't there some leg pulling with pda over that a few years ago ? I've benn deliciously surprised by this thread - I have !
The A1 is an amazing road, I was possible, until recently to stop off and buy a life size fibre glass elephant, full size woolly mammoth, or a full size Marilyn Monroe manikin with its skirt blown in the air.
 Delicious surprises - mikeyb
Being in Cardiff Central Station earlier today with my 9 year old.
I was waitng to buy a coffee when the guy being served dropped some of his change. He picked it up and carried on, when my son noticed he had missed some. He picked it up and ran off down the platform after they guy to give it back.

Made me proud, and also realised that perhaps we are not doing such a bad job bringing him up afterall!

Well done Mikey, things like that do make you feel good, don't they?

Pat
>> Well done Mikey, things like that do make you feel good, don't they?
>>
>> Pat
>>

Certainly does Pat, especialy when I was told that I am to strict with him.....by his primary school teacher!

Bringing up children with agood set of standards is not easy these days when so many parents have such different levels of discipline. What is acceptable to them is not to others
 Delicious surprises - MD
>> Certainly does Pat, especialy when I was told that I am to strict with him.....by
>> his primary school teacher!
>>
It has nothing to do with his teachers. That is NOT in their remit.
>> >> Certainly does Pat, especialy when I was told that I am to strict with
>> him.....by
>> >> his primary school teacher!
>> >>
>> It has nothing to do with his teachers. That is NOT in their remit.
>>

Thats exactly what I pointed out to her. Resulted in an apology to Mrs B the following day at school pick up time.

Long story but in a nutshell Junior and her had a personality clash - next acedemic year he had a different teacher and they get on really well.
 Delicious surprises - Armel Coussine
I wasn't best pleased the first time someone deferred to me in public because of my age, but you can get used to anything and in any case not everyone does it. In London, people may be surprised to learn, this sort of old-world courtesy is more usual in black and brown young people than the ethnic majority.

About ten years ago, queuing in my bank in Ladbroke Grove, I dropped the pen I was holding. Before I could retrieve it the person in front of me, a cute and pretty Japanese teenage tourist, had done so and was handing it to me. I thanked her and inclined my head slightly in exactly the same way as I would have done for anyone else. To her though, evidently, that inclination of the head represented an example of almost unique true courtesy in a strange town filled with smelly rude people. She gave me a dazzling smile and bowed fairly deeply. So naturally I bowed back. She bowed again. If the queue hadn't moved we might still be there lost in our orgy of oriental courtesy.

That was certainly delicious. Still makes me smile to remember it.
Alconbury Truckstop now has a swingers club:)

Pat
I'm leading a sheltered life.
The new Truckstop planned for Hollyhead will be lively:)

Pat
Jeez - the nearest thing to swingers the truckers at hollyhead know, is Val Doonican.
No, those Irish boys know how to live a bit:)

Pat
 Delicious surprises - devonite
years ago i went to work "North of the border" but couldn`t find any digs, a kindly old lady pointed me in the direction of the Salvation Army Soup-kitchen. I made myway there, booked in, went to bed and two minutes later was joined by a young lady! I had a great night!!
In the morning the Lady asked me got £76 !! - I was dumbfounded and said "I thought Soup-kitchens were free"! - she replied "thats next door, this is a Scotch Broth..el"!!!
Last edited by: devonite on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 18:10
Oh dear, HF's thread about harmless and sweet delights has turned into tales of neighbour feuds, fish murder, sex shops and prostitutes.
Those Irish boys are mainly Eastern Europeans these days !
For pulling power they do better than the Irish lads!

See what you've made me do now...I've reverted back to lorry park banter;)

Pat
To the sublime....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKmQIqVwRz4

This clip from a Welsh language carol service recorded in 08 andis Bookmarked on my computer.......Fast forward to the Carol at 5.40 (stars brightly shining) and listen to the sustained note at 6.34 from Rhydian - I don't think you need any religious conviction for that to delight and surprise you. Epic.
 Delicious surprises - HF
>>A GARAGE WITH A SEX SHOP ????!!!!
tell me more. Unlike most of you, i am free and single - sort of.
As said above *our* stretch of the A1 is well served by alternative outlets. In a village close by the old Little Chef is a sex shop too. The Alconbury combined truck stop and swingers hotel is probably the most enlightened venue though. I do notice they charge the lady swingers about 30% of the full charge for men. Is that really fair?
I have a punch-line for that, but I dearn't or Dog will give me thrashing !
This Dog is a watchdog!
You've examined the admission charges that closely Fenlander.....:)

Pat
 Delicious surprises - swiss tony
>> You've examined the admission charges that closely Fenlander.....:)

Maybe he has found they let him in for less when he wears a dress? ;-p
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sat 29 Oct 11 at 07:05
That means VX & PU will get in free with their Tutu and wand then:)

Pat
 Delicious surprises - devonite
>>i am free and single

So you didn`t get re-married in the end then!! (HJ thread topic) ;-)
 Delicious surprises - bathtub tom
This place has, allegedly, obtained a new reputation: g.co/maps/tg8vv

I've heard that those who used to moor up on the river, no longer can expect to down a few pints!!!
tell us more then!
 Delicious surprises - bathtub tom
Try googling The Anchor Inn at Tempsford.
The new signs call it The Vanilla Alternative:)

Please don't don't draw any conclusions about how I know so much about these places.......!

Pat
 Delicious surprises - Robin O'Reliant

>> Please don't don't draw any conclusions about how I know so much about these places.......!
>>
>> Pat
>>
Way too late for that, Pat ;-)
I like to watch swingers performing ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdPKKJk_mLw
>>>You've examined the admission charges that closely Fenlander.

Well the local papers have run articles on the swinging truckstop which in many ways served as very effective adverts.

Anyway being local has its advantages... when the former Happy Eater/Little Chef just north of Alconbury became a sex shop a couple of months ago the locall villagers were offered a 20% discount. It's only a cycle ride away so I'd wondered about a part time job??
Latest Forum Posts