Non-motoring > My new bicycle the Dawson. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 20

My new bicycle the Dawson. - Dutchie
Iam the proud owner of a new bicycle the Duchess made by Dawson.When my body allowes went for a bike ride this morning.Put the high viz jackett on and off i went 7 gears and a comfortable seat.Its got a basket on the front and a carrier on the back.I've been collecting litter from the verges and dumping it into bins.I can't stand litter.I got a bit spoiled in Holland with all the cycle paths .Up to now car drivers have been polite and I have been polite to them give a wave to thank when they let me go.Maybe the small sawn off shotgun helps visible in the basket.(only kidding):)
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Bromptonaut
Nice bike Dutchie. Would be too upright for me but similar in style to the bikes of your homeland.

www.dawescycles.com/p-379-duchess-mint.aspx

My new bicycle the Dawson. - Iffy
Beat me to it - I expect Dutchie means a Dawes Duchess.

www.dawescycles.com/p-142-duchess.aspx

Just the job for the use he wants.

At one time, a step-through was for ladies only, but that no longer seems to be the case.

Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 28 Oct 11 at 14:25
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Dog
Not un-like my quite old Sparta, Dutchie,

This ere Dutch bike looks a bargain ~

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEAUTIFUL-DUTCH-BIKE-Touring-Town-Commuter-Hybrid-Road-/220879547222?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item336d726b56
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Zero
Its a girls bike, the clue is in the name.
I had my suspicions!

:-)
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - RattleandSmoke
Seems like a great buy, I may have been tempted to get one with hub gears though, unless you can fix the gears yourself when they go wrong.
>> Seems like a great buy, I may have been tempted to get one with hub
>> gears though, unless you can fix the gears yourself when they go wrong.

Fix the gears? good lord rattle, and you calim to be good at DIY? of course you can fix the gears, IF they go wrong.
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Runfer D'Hills
You might find replacing the saddle with a man's one will make the bike more comfortable for you Dutchie. Women's saddles tend to be too wide for men and vice versa.
This is my old Dutch bike I bought on ebay for £50 ~

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/6288979538/
Looks like the ones Fallschirmjäger (german paratroopers) landed with when they invaded Holland.
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - devonite
I thought Dynamo lighting was now illegal in the U.K? - thought battery lighting replaced it!
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Fenlander
>>>I thought Dynamo lighting was now illegal in the U.K? - thought battery lighting replaced it!

The cycle light set I bought last week charges either by a winder genny or via a supplied USB lead.
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Bromptonaut
>> I thought Dynamo lighting was now illegal in the U.K? - thought battery lighting replaced
>> it!

Still legal, most sets now have a battery or capacitor (in LED applications) to keep the lights on while at a stand.

Personally I prefer a good LED light with spare batteries but the dynamo powered flashing LEDs on the 'Boris Bikes' are a feature of the London street scene.
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Meldrew
Cyclists may also be required to light up in conditions of seriously reduced visibility during the day, but only if they have functional lights already fitted. Lights are not required when the cycle is stationary or being pushed along the roadside.

Clearly it is not too clever to have a stationary bike on the road with no lights, but the above quote from the CTC site says that it is not a legal requirement
>>Looks like the ones Fallschirmjäger (german paratroopers) landed with when they invaded Holland.<<

Could well be, it's quite old, perhaps Tugboat Dutchie might recognise it.
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - devonite
Was that you in the final scenes of "The Great Escape" cycling off into the sunset?
Did they have ebay back in 1963 then?
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - ....
I thought they just helped themselves to the local machines Z:
ethanlindsey.com/blog/?p=128
>> I thought they just helped themselves to the local machines Z:
>> ethanlindsey.com/blog/?p=128

LOL - good one.
 My new bicycle the Dawson. - Meldrew
In my part of the country most of the women look too wide for the men as well. Built for comfort not for speed comes to mind!
Latest Forum Posts