Non-motoring > Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 63

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - henry k

www.surreycomet.co.uk/archive/2011/01/05/news_top_stories/9451574.Gas_meter_stolen_by_metal_thieves/

This was an occupied home and the meter was the on the outside of the property.

We have also had formal notice that metal gates are being lifted off their hinges and sold for scrap. IIRC most gates are not made thief proof - either they just drop on to their pivots or at best have a simple nut screwed onto the pivot.

Lock it or loose it ?
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Zero
My S-I-L and her 4 neighbours all had meters nicked.
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Iffy
On the farm gates we used to install the top hinge facing downwards - easy enough provided you have someone to offer up the gate at the same time.

Either that, or ream over the thread of one of the hinges with a hammer.

Won't stop a determined thief, but it will deter the 'lift it and leg it' type.

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - bathtub tom
That's over a year old!
>> That's over a year old!
>>
It was reported in todays local paper so they are rerunning the story
I must admit I did not check to date of the story and just pulled it from their web site.

The gates warning was from Surrey.
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Pat
Slightly off track, but one of our drivers parked on Chester Motorway Services on Wednesday night and paid £23 for the priveledge.

When he awoke in the morning the curtain of his trailer had been cut and 2 pallets (tonnes) of high quality engine oil in 4L cans had been stolen.

Cost of curtain repair, lost time and oil was valued at £13000.

The MSA's offer no security whatsoever unless you fail to pay, then they suddenly become interested.

Pat
Leaving lots of valuable engine oil 'secured' behind a plastic sheet will be seen by some as asking for trouble.

Presumably a tin box lorry is harder to break in to, but loading pallets of oil from the back cannot be easy.

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - VxFan
Why can't they make the curtains from a stronger material?

Something like a lumberjacks trousers and jacket that are designed to prevent injury to the forester from a chainsaw.

All they would need to do is make it out of some kind of lightweight chainmail, and covered in plastic/tarpaulin.
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Harleyman
>> Why can't they make the curtains from a stronger material?
>>

They're available, but as you'd expect they cost a lot more. They're also considerably more difficult to pull back as by their very nature they're less flexible.

I would however echo Pat's opinion; if a haulier has to pay over £20 to park a lorry then they should expect some sort of vigilance in return. Most MSA's don't even have CCTV.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 13 Jan 12 at 11:07

>> park a lorry then they should expect some sort of vigilance in return. Most MSA's
>> don't even have CCTV.

Yes they do, its used to log you in and out so they can fine you if you overstay....
No doubt it's being looked into, but the thieves' vehicle should have pinged the ANPR on arrival and departure.

Working out which wagon was theirs might not be too hard, assuming there were not many large enough vehicle movements in the theft time window.

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - rtj70
>> Yes they do, its used to log you in and out so they can fine you if you overstay....

But that is automated ANPR based - not being monitored by security staff to increase overall security.
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - BobbyG
And of course it will be a genuine number plate, registered to a genuine address and the vehicle will be taxed, insured and MOT'd...........
I was being ironic......
>> I was being ironic......
>>

I understood where you were coming from Z, and sadly that's about all it is used for.
...And of course it will be a genuine number plate, registered to a genuine address and the vehicle will be taxed, insured and MOT'd...

May be, may not be, but that's not a reason not to pursue that avenue to detect the crime.

The ANPR camera may have caught the driver's face.

Even if the vehicle's plates are false, and the driver wore a mask, publishing a pic of it could lead to a member of the public reporting where it's parked/was parked.

Recovering the vehicle could give simple forensics - fingerprints - chummy might have a record, etc etc.

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - teabelly
Perhaps the haulage company should consider fitting alarms to all curtain sided trucks so that if they are messed with when parked up the alarms go off... Probably be quite cheap to install and I'd assume the ultrasonic thingies used for cars could be used.

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - VxFan
>> I'd assume the ultrasonic thingies used for cars could be used.

It would have to be the microwave type, as fitted to convertable cars. Ultrasonics would go off as soon as a gust of wind twitched the curtain.
Exactly :)

Ever heard of lorry drivers being dangerous when they are tired?

The whole idea of parking at Motorway service areas is to be able to shower, eat and sleep in that precious 9 hours off.

Why should we hand over £23 to use those facilities, but enjoy no protection for it?

Assuming an alarm is fitted and the driver hears it going off, what should he do?

Jump out and confront at leat 2 blokes armed with knives for cutting trailer curtains?

Dial 999? That's been done often enough and maybe, probably someone will turn up before it's time to leave in the morning. You will have a crime number though.

The next 'secure' lorry park from there is the Poplars at Lymm, they have security on 24 hours but the only thing they will come out of their hut for is to collect your money, and the curtain slashers know this. It's reputation for cargo theft is dire.

I fail to see why we are looking at suggestions to 'prevent' this happening when the fact theft is theft, and a few convictions and a Police presence would prevent it.

Pat
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Old Navy
>> Perhaps the haulage company should consider fitting alarms to all curtain sided trucks so that
>> if they are messed with when parked up the alarms go off... Probably be quite
>> cheap to install and I'd assume the ultrasonic thingies used for cars could be used.
>>

Then what happens? The driver acts as an unpaid security guard and gets beaten up? You can bet the plods will be eating donuts miles away. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 13 Jan 12 at 12:39
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - madf
There is about 500metres of 19th century cast iron fencing flat on its side in the field next door. I rescued some of it to repair our fences - but they weigh about 100kg per 10 metres so approx 5 tonnes. (It's invisible as buried in grass).

Not an easy job to fetch as Land Rover and trailer job.. must be worth a small fortune..

(Plus our railings as well!)
Last edited by: madf on Fri 13 Jan 12 at 12:45
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Dutchie

Get on with it you won't get caught and make some money.You nicked already some.

(Oh sorry rescued).
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Cliff Pope
It might be possible to trace the thief, if the landRover reg is genuine, and his description might be recognised on some of the more disreputable forums.
Sometimes these people take stuff for their own use rather than scrap, so he might well have used it to repair his own fence - bit of a give away !

:)
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Boxsterboy
>> There is about 500metres of 19th century cast iron fencing flat on its side in
>> the field next door. I rescued some of it to repair our fences -
>>

Do these metal thieves have no shame? Bragging about it on a public forum, honestly!
There are other drivers in the park are there not??? What happens when those trying to nick stuff find a load of lorry drivers descend on them to knock 7 shades out of them?? Safety in numbers and all that. If you behave like a soft target you'll get done over.

Having some kind of alarm stops the sneaking thief and gives a better idea of when the crime occurred so that cctv can at least be checked.

Even if the driver doesn't confront them then they could at least call the police at the time of the incident rather than hours later when they'll be long gone.

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Ted

Going back to the gas meter, there may be another reason for it's theft.

Seems to me that they are very easy to remove. When our kitchen was done, I wanted to fit a cupboard around the meter and was prepared to do a little butchery to the woodwork inside. The guy who was fitting the new boiler removed the meter after taking some measurements and we just drilled large hole in the new base/back for the pipes. One pipe was in lead so there was some flexibility.

Now, providing all domestic meters are much the same, I thought, at the time, that a spare meter could easily be fitted, say a month before your reading and changed back straight afterwards.......reduction in your gas bill by 2/3 !

Maybe it's just my devious mind at work !

Ted
>>
>> Going back to the gas meter, there may be another reason for it's theft.
>>
>> Now, providing all domestic meters are much the same, I thought, at the time, that
>> a spare meter could easily be fitted, say a month before your reading and changed
>> back straight afterwards.......reduction in your gas bill by 2/3 !
>>
>> Maybe it's just my devious mind at work !
>>
>> Ted
>>

Our meter has a barcode and serial number inside the display. I don't know if the meter readers gadget has a barcode reader but it soon would have if your scam became commonplace. If they are on the ball the fuel suppliers software would pick up anomalies. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 13 Jan 12 at 17:33
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Dave_
>> If they are on the ball the fuel suppliers software would pick up anomalies

That's how they catch marijuana growers. There's a meter at the substation, they add up all the supplied premises' readings and look a bit closer if the totals don't match.
>> >> If they are on the ball the fuel suppliers software would pick up anomalies
>>
>> That's how they catch marijuana growers. There's a meter at the substation, they add up
>> all the supplied premises' readings and look a bit closer if the totals don't match.

Except that does not tell them what house its at. The easiest and fastest way is the Police Helicopter.

On its way to and from a shout they use the infra red camera for blooming heat sources.
>> providing all domestic meters are much the same, I thought, at the time, that a spare meter could
>> easily be fitted, say a month before your reading and changed back straight afterwards.......
>> reduction in your gas bill by 2/3 !

I gathered from my college course that it's fairly common in some areas to fit the spare meter immediately AFTER the reading, and only pop the genuine unit back on a week before the next appointment. Other methods were described too...
There would be at least 150 other lorries in the lorry park at that time. (giving a total nightly income to the MSA of £3450.)

BUT quite rightly, they were all asleep as the law requires them to be.

As I have already said, calling the Police at the time of the incident usually guarantees they will give you a crime number.

Nothing more.

Pat
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - zippy
£23 for a motorway car park designed ultimately for the safety of the public should be free and should be an obligation of service area companies to provide these.
>> There are other drivers in the park are there not???
>>

They tend to be asleep. Go drive your car for nine hours in a day and see how easily you wake up. ;-)

There's also the fact that assaults on drivers are not unkown, we're not paid to be heroes.

>> Having some kind of alarm stops the sneaking thief and gives a better idea of
>> when the crime occurred so that cctv can at least be checked.
>>
Like car alarms you mean? If one goes off in your street, how many of your neighbours come outside?
And if the alarms kick off as soon as the wind gets up? Ever had a burglar alarm go off in your street and see how much hassle it causes? Fridge trailers cause enough nuisance in lorry parks.

>> Even if the driver doesn't confront them then they could at least call the police
>> at the time of the incident rather than hours later when they'll be long gone.
>>

As mentioned elsewhere the plod are usually nowhere to be seen. I've been woken in lorry parks before by scallies trying to nick diesel; in fact my own tank got done one night and I never heard a thing. I rang the police on the occasion I was woken, by the time they arrived the would-be thieves were long gone, unfortunately didn't clock the reg number.
9 hours? That's a normal working day ;-)

The police need to be doing more.

The lorry park owners need to be doing more.

For £23 a night they can easily provide proper security and they should be required to.

Shaming useless police forces that don't do anything would be high on the list of things to be doing about it.

Marking attractive to steal goods with smart water so the goods can be traced later would also be sensible.

If unilever can chase fake washing powder half way round the world it doesn't seem beyond the wit of man to catch thieving chancers.
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - NortonES2
The police are ingenious in their indolence. Any old excuse. I think oversight of the police has been neglected:(
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - R.P.
20% cuts in funding don't help. You'd be shocked if you knew how many cops cover particular area especially in Harleyman's neck of the wood, patrolling lorry parks at night is a real luxury as most cops are employed in dealing in the overgrown children that masquerade as adults in this country.

Some reading on here for you.

inspectorgadget.wordpress.com/
Actually I'm not shocked. I know how thinly they are stretched at times, but they are too inward-looking. Their situation brings complacency. I'd prefer to see some determination. Sometimes that surfaces, but it seems at the initiative of quite junior (Sergeant level) individuals. Too random. Of course, one doesn't really know what happens behind the scenes. I have contacts but they say little.
>> Actually I'm not shocked. I know how thinly they are stretched at times, but they
>> are too inward-looking. Their situation brings complacency. I'd prefer to see some determination. Sometimes that
>> surfaces, but it seems at the initiative of quite junior (Sergeant level) individuals. Too random.
>> Of course, one doesn't really know what happens behind the scenes. I have contacts but
>> they say little.
>>

Sorry its the DM again.

tinyurl.com/786udoc
Thanks ON. It would be interesting to see how many forces want to learn, and the converse! The Inspector should get a decent bonus. But as it's a public service the Govt. treat with contempt.
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - PhilW
Harleyman, pda and one or two others (Bobby G etc) are spot on in this thread about security at MSAs.
I'm not an HGV driver I usually do only one or two nights out per week, but do often carry a valuable cargo - let's say a Ferrari and a Maserati on a 2 car transporter and trailer - £250,000 worth from Edinburgh to down south. Tacho hours up so you stop at Abington Services at 7?, 8? 9?pm on A/M74. Pull into lorry park which is separated from "general entrance" by a kerb. Park between a couple of other trucks among maybe 100. Walk 200 yards over to services to pay your £19.50 for parking - punch your number plate into ANPR thing - various pictures come up but they mainly seem to be pictures of headlights with blurred number plates which could be anything. Petrol station is a few yards away but won't accept payment.
Have cup of tea, something to eat, wash or shower etc. Go back to truck, walk past all those curtained cabs without seeing anyone, lock the cars, get in bed (sleeping bag on hard, thin single foam "mattress", because knackered (that 9 hours driving had been a 12-14 hour day because of drop-offs, pick-ups and various compulsory breaks etc). Set alarm for 6am.
In bed, constantly awoken by trucks coming and going (nobody works same hours) and by those damned diesel refrigerator units which make a hell of a noise, and there's a gale blowing so the cab is swaying. Switch off all brain activity (except that thought of the warm, comfortable duvet covered bed at home 300 miles away, which you can't switch off). Woken at 6am, still pitch dark, busting for the loo. Struggle into clothes, get out of cab, wander over to services for wash, shower etc. Park still full of trucks but now all different ones - still all curtains drawn except for that one bloke having a cuppa, reading "The Sun" and having a fag - we nod to each other. Use food token for breakfast. (tasteless sausage, tasteless tomatoes, tasteless egg, tasteless beans, tasteless mushroom, rock hard toast, grease filled hash brown).
Back to truck, better do vehicle check - lights, indicators, marker lights, tacho, trailer hitch, safety cable etc - all OK.
Oh, hang on, the trailer number plate is hanging down, oh, pfd, some pfd has nicked the ramps from the trailer - how can I unload that Ferrari and Maserati? Try to ring boss - no-one in Office until 8.30.
Go back across to services and report theft. Is it on CCTV. Sorry, only ANPR on petrol station and lorry park entrance (in case you a) don't pay for petrol or b) don't pay for your compulsory 9 hour break)- had a few thefts this week, you need to get some padlocks.
Can you call police? No point - happens too often, they won't come out.
Ah well, at least cars are still on the back, get through to boss about 9am. How the hell did you let that happen, why didn't you back up to a kerb or something so they couldn't get at ramps, do you realise those ramps are £400 a set? There wasn't a kerb, boss. That will have to come out of your wages then. Why didn't you hear them or see them. I was asleep and a gale was blowing boss. Call in at *** Trailers and get some new ramps then.
Drive down to *** Trailers Ltd for new ramps Drive to car drop off, drive home.
So, up to Edinburgh, down to London(ish), 3+ days work, three nights out (Sunday night on way up and one on way back home from London as well as Abington one), £300 earned (inc overnight allowance), £400 lost to ramps thieves.
To be absolutely honest - not yet been charged for loss of ramps, hoping that boss will take pity on me. But then it's still £400 lost - just depends who bears the cost.
Phil
PS still enjoy the job though there are good days and bad days!!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 19 Jan 12 at 00:38
PhilW... we've exchanged emails before. If you ever got near us I might then be able top help with space to park... and accommodation nearby in a hotel/B&B. Doubt the Ferrari fits in the garage but we have one.

This is Manchester area BTW.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 14 Jan 12 at 00:07
Thanks rtj - can you PM me details?? Good places to park up where you feel safe are few and far between!
(As long as you don't sneak round and nick my nice new £400 aluminium ramps!! Or the Ferrari!! )
Phil
Postings crossed then - often in Manchester area (Stockport and Warrington yesterday and overnighted at Lymm Poplar last week. Blackburn, Preston, Blackpool week before). Not always Ferraris - R8 to Preston, Ford KA out of Warrington!!
Phil

I've got the stage now where I chain and padlock the caravan to the Vitara whenever we stop on a service area for even a few minutes.

I've got some wire ropes with properly crimped in loops at each end for locks. One I've got is a bit too long for my use but could be threaded through various parts of a trailer. If you want it, Phil, you're welcome to it. It would take bolt croppers to shift it.

They were being thrown away by a theatre where my son worked. They were for lifting scenery but were ' time expired ' .

Ted
I was thinking near to my house and should be fairly safe. Although assuming not a full arctic rig! I thought you just drove cars!
Good post Phil and so typical of a night out on an MSA.

Your description of Abington is spot on too but I still have trouble sleeping here, in a house down a quiet country lane.

Give me the noise of traffic, fork lift trucks and people, the confines of a cab and I can sleep like a log...with a happy smile on my face:)

Of course it doesn't help that Chester services has a reputation in the lorry pake either...for dogging;)

Shame no-one has bothered to explain to them that we're all too tired to watch!

Pat

Swansea surgeon condemns cable thefts which hit three hospitals

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17011585
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - DeeW
The local paper this week reports the theft of three Royal Mail post boxes from the villages of Bramshaw, Lyndhurst and Boldre. The weight of the cast iron must be substantial - and they must surely have had fairly heavyweight equipment as they were "ripped from the ground".
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - nyx2k
a friend has a postbox in his garden and i saw it being put in and theres more underground than above ground so must be very heavy
>> they must surely have had fairly heavyweight equipment as they were "ripped from the ground"

You'd need a Transit van with a towbar to do that.
BIL lives in a small village nearby cables nicked no landline and computer use.

Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - WillDeBeest
That was The Archers, Dutchie. Which one's your B-in-L? Eddie Grundy?
...That was The Archers, Dutchie...

Life imitates art.

Recently renewed our gas cooker; I'd also got some bits of old copper pipe knocking about from when I replaced the CH system, couple of old batteries etc, so decided to take the lot down to the local yard (Sims Metals, a big national company) and weigh it in. Gives the pick-up a decent run and with a bit of luck I thought I'd just about cover the petrol costs.

This was what I got;

140kg light iron (cooker and assorted bits of steel) £21
21kg Lead batteries (2) £7

13kg Copper £53 !!!

No bloomin' wonder it gets nicked!

Whilst in there I saw coils of new copper microbore still in their bags which apparently contractors had weighed in from building jobs where it was surplus. Nice little earner.

Sorry brother in law.>:)
That's me have a go at anything useless at most.I like Eddy Grundy.>:)

I noticed, a week ago, a Transit pickup with ' greedy boards ' slowly driving around our area.

A loudspeaker system had been rigged up and the crew were extolling folk to bring out any scrap metal.

Looks like the ' rag tatter' is on his way back !

Ted,
We have a couple of "patrols" every day.
We have a lot to feed close by, even in leafy Surrey.
Anything is fare game. Every skip is raided.
Silent and deadly here.
We have a couple of totters round once a week, we have a different lot of leafy Surrey ITL's to Henry's lot.
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - Bigtee
Looks like the ' rag tatter' is on his way back !

Brings back memories of the late 70's "Rag a bone" and id run out with some old scrap tat.
WE've got a few that come around our way - and I had some stuff they could have. By the time you got to the door they were gone.

One plays 'Any Old Iron' over a speaker system too :-)
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - sherlock47
>>WE've got a few that come around our way - and I had some stuff they could have. By the time you got to the door they were gone.<<

probably already loaded and away with the garden bronze ornaments, works of art and the odd washing machine that was sitting in the driveway.

If they see a copper cylinder or a proper cast iron boiler, they probably turn off the loudspeakers:)
Last edited by: pmh on Tue 14 Feb 12 at 11:14
 Metal thefts. Can you believe it ? - bathtub tom
I was delivering a new van to a gas fitter in Surrey and collecting the old one. He apologised for making me wait while he emptied the old one into the new, but explained he didn't have enough, secure, storage space to do it the night before.

Three white open back Transits passed in the time it took, all slowing to crawl to have a good ganders.
More likely a rusty Chevette on bricks in the front garden in RobTJ's area :-)

Ted
Latest Forum Posts