Non-motoring > Good piece of journalism Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 9

Good piece of journalism - Westpig
This is absolutely as it is.

www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2101280/Ali-Dizaei-How-political-correctness-ruining-Britains-police.html

The only thing i'd add is that Paul Stephenson was of a similar ilk to Bernard Hogan-Howe.
 Good piece of journalism - WillDeBeest
Interesting, certainly, WP - although to me it reads like one ex-officer finally being able to get off his chest what he's privately thought for years about one unpleasant colleague. He doesn't, as far as I can see, cite any other examples of officers who've exploited the Police's sensitivity on matters of race for their own ends. You have a more privileged viewpoint than most of us, so perhaps you know more than is in the article.

Cases like this always make me a little anxious, because they give a certain type (and I don't for a moment mean you, WP) the confidence to say, "See? You give these people an inch and look what happens!". Let's not pretend that police racism was never a problem; it would be a pity if one unsavoury character like Dizaei were to undo the progress that's been made in the last 20 years.
 Good piece of journalism - rtj70
There is a danger as you say WDB... but it does sound like this one example was of an officer being promoted when they clearly shouldn't have been allowed to stay on as an officer at all.
>>>> Cases like this always make me a little anxious, because they give a certain type
>> (and I don't for a moment mean you, WP) the confidence to say, "See? You
>> give these people an inch and look what happens!". Let's not pretend that police racism
>> was never a problem; it would be a pity if one unsavoury character like Dizaei
>> were to undo the progress that's been made in the last 20 years.
>>

That is a most valid point WDB.

As you'd imagine, being our capital city, London has people form all over the place involved in its' policing, always has done.

The trouble is, the racism card is played by the odd few (and it is only an odd few) as a 'get out of jail free card' and Ali Dizaei is one of the worst, if not the worst.

I feel sorry for someone from a differing ethnic background to the majority of the population, who's good at their job, always has been and always will be..because the idiots that are allowed to join/remain and shouldn't, can easily have the uninitiated lump them together in the same category.

The last Govt didn't do anyone any favours either. They decided that in percentage terms, London's Police should reflect its' population and instigated a positive action scheme to redress the balance....trouble is it's more complicated than that.

In very, very base terms, as an example, there is a significant number of Black/African people who mistrust the police (for whatever reasons), so their kids aren't necessarily going to join up are they? Then you have affluent Indians who think that policing is a blue collar job, so their kids won't be joining either.

Does the quota seem so sensible now? I don't think so. What happens if the wrong sort from those two examples wishes to join? Do they get welcomed in anyway, despite the fact other people with the same life skills (or lack of) would be turned away if their face was a different colour...and how does the quality candidate from those two racial examples feel if he/she is damned good at what they do? Will they worry that others will think they're only being let in because of their skin colour, when the opposite is in fact true?

There's been some dangerous meddling...and the results are not yet obvious.

Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 15 Feb 12 at 13:07
 Good piece of journalism - NeilS
>>>>>What happens if the wrong sort from those two examples wishes to join? Do they get welcomed in anyway, despite the fact other people with the same life skills (or lack of) would be turned away if their face was a different colour..

Not just in the Met WP, yes those applicants as you describe are actively encouraged and some might say their paths smoothed. Also the kid gloves appear when dealing with those already in service who are failing in their job and some of them don't even have to play the race card for disciplinary procedures to be somewhat less robust than might be with others.
>> He doesn't, as far as I can see, cite any other examples of officers who've
>> exploited the Police's sensitivity on matters of race for their own ends.

Google 'Tarique Ghaffur'...a now retired Assistant Commissioner.

Even his ex-wife said he was promoted well beyond his means.

He'd achieved the highest levels of policing ranks, (a Met AC is the equivalent of a senior Chief Constable in the counties) ...yet he still claimed racism because he wanted higher again.

I'm happy to state these sorts of people are very much in the minority, it's just frustrating to see the paralysis that surrounds them, no one dare deal with it. That is a downside to the Macpherson report.

Last edited by: Westpig on Wed 15 Feb 12 at 13:19
 Good piece of journalism - Dutchie
Don't know anything about the Metropolitan police force read about the corruption,don't know if that is true either.

Maybe AC and Zero can give us more of a insight both Londoners I beleive.

Of course some people are going to play the race card if they think they can away with it.
 Good piece of journalism - WillDeBeest
The last Govt didn't do anyone any favours either. They decided that in percentage terms, London's Police should reflect its population and instigated a positive action scheme to redress the balance....trouble is it's more complicated than that.

Yes, the perils of the quick fix. On the face of it, of course the police should be a representative sample of the society they police, but you have start from where you are and work on adjusting that society as well.

Arguably there's a parallel here with the Black Economic Empowerment points that employers in modern South Africa have to score in order to bid for government contracts. It's a means of hastening the righting of an even greater wrong, of course, and it's far from universally popular, but it is at least open and published.

To be honest (checks furtively around in case any fellow Guardianistas might overhear - they'd take my hand-woven yogurt away) I'm uncomfortable with a lot of the Multicultural Britain manifesto. I'd far rather we were all British before anything else. Colour and origin no object, of course, but you're here now, so speak the English language, keep your religion (any religion, Mr Pickles) in the private domain, support the police in doing their job. Then you need have no qualms about joining the police because they'll be just like you.
 Good piece of journalism - Armel Coussine
>> To be honest (checks furtively around in case any fellow Guardianistas might overhear - they'd take my hand-woven yogurt away) I'm uncomfortable with a lot of the Multicultural Britain manifesto

It goes without saying that you can't make a set of regulations to enforce non-racism. As people have pointed out, it just provides a way for jobsworth idiots and non-white opportunists to make a damn nuisance of themselves. We've all met both types, God help us (and them).

Racism - the real thing, once widespread in this country and still far from unknown - which included a poisonous anti-semitism common in the upper classes until the fifties, is essentially a construct used by people with little self-respect, with perhaps well-founded feelings of inferiority, to parade their own imaginary superiority to some other group. It takes virulent and less virulent forms. But no one honest, who knows anything about real life and real history and who has half a brain, can be seriously racist in that sense.
 Good piece of journalism - Meldrew
An ex-wife would say that wouldn't she? I do hope means is a typo for ability or talent!!!!
Latest Forum Posts