Non-motoring > Where and Warm? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 29

Where and Warm? - MD
For a quick break.

Don't want hot. 70 deg' ish fine.
Must be good food, we don't 'do' crap.
'Stuff to do (but NOT too touristy)......anything really as I cannot sit on my Bum (unless eating or at a pleasant bar!!)
A few folk here seem to rate the all inclusive stuff now. I've never done that.

Well that's tonight's home work set. Yes, I am a picky so and so, but then.....

Best regards............M
 Where and Warm? - MD
By 'here' I meant here at home.
 Where and Warm? - R.P.
Florida too far ?
 Where and Warm? - mikeyb
This time of year I would guess Canary Islands are the obvious choice
 Where and Warm? - R.P.
I thought that but you have to be careful, can be touristy. 20 degrees in Lanzarote today 27 in Orlando....:-(
 Where and Warm? - MD
Don't do American's young man. I drawl the line at that! Thanks anyway.
 Where and Warm? - Zero
Madiera

Menorca

Sicily

Crete (south part of island)
 Where and Warm? - Focusless
Just back from 4 nights in a cheap-and-cheerful all inclusive in south Tenerife, except being half term it wasn't cheap :) Pleasant temperatures, 20-ish I think. Thought the main beaches in Los Christianos would be packed, but they were practically empty. Seemed to be a lot more old people than young.
 Where and Warm? - Lygonos
British lodge/cabin with outdoor hot-tub - most splendid )

No airport cack to deal with.
 Where and Warm? - Dog
>>Seemed to be a lot more old people than young<<

S'allways been the same, at this time o' the year - Swallows see, we even had a club in Los Cristianos by that name.
 Where and Warm? - CGNorwich
This time of the year I would say the Canaries or Madeira. Off to La Palma for a couple of weeks next week which is a lot quieter and undeveloped than the main tourist islands of Tenerife,Gran Canaria and Lanzarote. Might be too quiet for you though, mainy appeals to walkers and not many up market hotels. We are renting a house.

Madeira would I suspect suit you better. No beaches but a beautiful island and Funchal is a surprisingly elegant and sophisticated little city to find in the mid Atlantic. Don't stay in the Hotel Zone though,find a hotel in the old town. Porto Santa Maria is in my opinion the best hotel. Plenty to see and do on the island and lots of really good restaurants.
 Where and Warm? - FocalPoint
We're off to Tenerife in just over a week, but my spies tell me it's often been a bit cool - unusually so - recently. This is the Puerto de la Cruz area.

As we plan to walk and generally explore in a hired car I don't think it will be a problem and it sure beats the UK at this time of year anyway.

If only I can shake off this blasted ear infection...
 Where and Warm? - Dog
Gotta be careful with Puerto at this time of year, I've sunbathing in Los Cristianos, while it been snowing op Narth.
 Where and Warm? - smokie
Malta would be quite pleasant now I imagine.
 Where and Warm? - Dave_
Off to pick up a few more brochures in the morning, Dad and I have decided that Greece (our first choice) is probably best avoided for the foreseeable. All of the suggestions above look good for us in the summer holidays.
I wouldn't rule out Greece. The islands are different to the cities and very much doubt that there will be any problems on the islands. They will be desperate for business (cash only!) so will be bargains to be had. Thinking of Lesvos this year.
 Where and Warm? - rtj70
We've got Lesvos booked for May this year - fingers crossed! We knew the risk when we booked it. Weather is not too warm at the start of May. You can get some rainy days but the twice we've been there for a fortnight before we've not had any.

We always pay cash in Greece. Doesn't seem fair on them to cover the cost of credit card charges. Especially this year.
Most Greek are not putting their cash anywhere near a bank a the moment for fear of Greece dropping out of the Euro and their money being turned into "new drachmae".

Cash more than ever the way to go. Lesvos is beautiful in May with the spring flowers.

Best Ouzo in Greece too!
 Where and Warm? - rtj70
>> Lesvos is beautiful in May with the spring flowers.

Sure is. By the second week of May the flowers are starting to go. This year we couldn't get anything sooner than 12th May - you couldn't get out for the bank holiday weekend at all.

So where's your favourite places on Lesvos? We'll get a car this year - if there's petrol! We stay in Anaxos and so know the area around there but not much further than Molyvos.
Speaking of Greek islands, we had a lovely holiday on Zakynthos (Zante) last May. Balmy temperatures for most of the week, climbing to low thirties as we left.

I know this island has reputation for 24/7 partying, but that's thankfully confined to specific areas and we found lots of other things to do. Got some fantastic photos.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Fri 17 Feb 12 at 11:33
 Where and Warm? - ToMoCo
>> Speaking of Greek islands, we had a lovely holiday on Zakynthos (Zante) last May.

We have been a few times (in the much too distant past). Kalamaki & Amoudi.

I suppose it's Laganas that has a party reputation? (although I wasn't aware).

Anyway, wonderful island.
 Where and Warm? - Westpig
>> Malta would be quite pleasant now I imagine.
>>

I'll second Malta
 Where and Warm? - Dutchie
Ear infection very painfull,antobiotics eardrops and sunshine should get you sorted Focal.
"Ear infection very painfull..."

Tell me about it!

Had two courses of antibiotics. Now it's an emergency appointment at ENT for aural suction. Ugh!
 Where and Warm? - Dog
>>Now it's an emergency appointment at ENT for aural suction<<

Available on the NHS now is it, thanks - I'll make a note of that then.
 Where and Warm? - henry k
>>We're off to Tenerife in just over a week,
>>
>>If only I can shake off this blasted ear infection...
>>
IIRC flying with an ear infection is not a good idea. Has your doc OK'ed it ?
"... flying with an ear infection is not a good idea. Has your doc OK'ed it ?"

Yes, but I intend to get a more up-to-date opinion at the ENT clinic on Monday.
 Where and Warm? - MD
Sorry CG. I should have mentioned (as I have here many times before) been to Madeira 14 times, and love it and know Funchal quite well. However I don't really know what I want as I don't relax....ever. Just might need a break with some warmth, bars, restaurants and hopefully some intelligent company away from the ruddy construction industry. Thank you anyway.
 Where and Warm? - Ian (Cape Town)
No idea mate, sorry.
 Where and Warm? - NeilS
Can recommend Lanzarote - climate is amongst the best, great walking along stunning coast, good honest local food, cheap fly/villa deals and easy to keep away from the tourist traps. Best quick choice break we went on was a lastminute.com half board to a 5 star in the Algarve in early March 4 years ago. Great hotel, lovely people, fantastic seafood, not crowded, sea a tad cold but only one in it! Also have friends who return ever year to Malta in the Spring.
Latest Forum Posts