Computer Related > Microsoft .NET Framework Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 11

Microsoft .NET Framework - Duncan
Spendimg a quiet Sunday morning scrolling through Control Panel on my PC (as you do) I noticed that Microsoft .NET Framework - three items - seems to be taking up a lot of space.

Do I need it? What is it for? What does it do? Can I - should I - delete it?
 Microsoft .NET Framework - Zero
>> Do I need it?

yes you do, some program you have loaded has required the use of MS .NET framework.

>>What is it for?

To provides a set of operations and an environment for people to develop applications on Windows.

>>What does it do?

It provides a set of operations and an environment for people to develop applications on Windows.

>>Can I - should I - delete it?

yes you can - no you shouldnt.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 May 10 at 08:51
 Microsoft .NET Framework - smokie
Zero is almost completely right, but if you are one of those people who manually runs Windows Update then even if you have not previously got it installed it can come up as an Optional Install, which means it is possible to get it on your system without actually needing it.

I wouldn't uninstall it though if I were you.
 Microsoft .NET Framework - Bellboy
sometimes for instance if you need to install a cd catalogue it has this network framework on it
i always try not to install as i agree it sometimes confangles everything up and i would rather not have it
i believe it comes in the xp package download 3 too if i remember correctly
 Microsoft .NET Framework - Stuartli
If you have an ATi graphics card, it will almost certainly require at least .NET Framework 2.0.
 Microsoft .NET Framework - Duncan
Thank you all. I will leave it alone.
 Microsoft .NET Framework - Zero
>> If you have an ATi graphics card it will almost certainly require at least .NET
>> Framework 2.0.

you dont if you only download the drivers, and dont install the Ati control panel.
 Microsoft .NET Framework - RattleandSmoke
.NET a dream for developers - I love it - A pain for people with older computers! Although I had a .NET development machine when I was at university and it was a PII 700 with 512MB of RAM ran perfectly.

I personally would avoid .NET for writing windows applications though as they tend to be too bloaty but it depends what the application is for I guess.
Which is what I do and prefer, instead, to install ATi Tray Tools.

Quite often, installing the Catalyst Control Centre can lead to a never ending problem of trying to get it all to work....:-)
>>you dont if you only download the drivers, and dont install the Ati control panel. >>

This is the post, of course, to which I was referring.
 Microsoft .NET Framework - ....
CardSpace uses it too.

I do one thing with my OS which I shouldn't and CardSpace won't work.
 Microsoft .NET Framework - lancara
On a similar theme - how about Microsoft Visual C++ Distributables - I have 11 different versions from 2005 to 2008?
Latest Forum Posts