Computer Related > Website editing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: DeeW Replies: 7

Website editing - DeeW
Not sure if anyone can help with this, but here goes.
Is there any way one can find out who hosts a website? I do know where the domain names were purchased from and who built them.
What information is needed to edit or add to a website?

** I should add this is not hacking into someone else's website!
Last edited by: DeeW on Sun 16 May 10 at 21:46
 Website editing - teabelly
If you know the domain name you can find out the ip address of the server it is hosted on. Then you can look up that ip and find out whose network it is in. Generally though the person that designed the site originally would know where it was hosted... contact them in the first instance as that will be the quickest way to find out how who does the hosting.

This site is quite good: www.dnsstuff.com/

Once you know where it was hosted you need to know the ftp username and password to upload new pages. Some sites have their own web based admin system so you wouldn't need to know anything but the admin username and password for it.
 Website editing - DeeW
Thanks Teabelly. The 'quickest way' is unlikely to be available as things stand.
 Website editing - Zero
you try clicking "view source" on the page you are interested in. people often include details about the site, page and ownership in comments.
 Website editing - teabelly
Oh. Sounds like there has been a falling out! I'd try the underhand and sneaky tactic of getting someone else you know to ring up the web design people. Say how nice the site is and other ones are in the portfolio, how fast it is and casually enquire who they do their hosting with...hopefully they'll say.

Then you can then contact the hosting company directly and find out to take control of your site again. Depending on the contract with the web design company you may find you can get the domain back to build a new site but not get hold of the ability to edit the current one.
 Website editing - DeeW
No falling out, Cardiac Intensive Care.
 Website editing - car4play
uptime.netcraft.com/ is a useful site. The netblock owner is also helpful.

On a Mac you can also use terminal and key in
whois
otherwise use an online version of whois. e.g. whois.domaintools.com

As others have said, it may be a content managed site where there is an admin area of the site. You will need to know the admin URL and login.
Otherwise they would have used FTP to send the revised pages or code to the server and you will need the FTP host, username and password.
 Website editing - DeeW
Thanks for the help. I think I am going to pursue this more next time I get home - Me 'Dongle' only seems to get intermittent reception here. Have started by getting the above sites to start tracing info I am after.
Am wondering if I might be able to retrieve info from the Mac the sites were built on.
What someone might be able to tell me is whether I can link my MacBook to the main Mac either when there or from a distance, to retrieve anything I might need?
Latest Forum Posts