Computer Related > Failed PDF Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 18

Failed PDF - MD
Morning all,

Tried to convert a word doc to PDF using macromedia flash paper I think. It won't happen and it has created a read only copy of said doc. Also I now cannot delete it or send it to the recycle bin. Help please.

Best regards...........Martin.
 Failed PDF - Iffy
Martin,

Someone who knows what they are talking about will be along in a minute, but in the meantime...

I much prefer Foxit Reader to Adobe for processing PDF documents, it's simpler, quicker and generally easier to use.

It may be your current problem has nothing to do with the PDF programme, but Foxit is a good tip for future use.

A quick thought, what operating system are you using?

Did I read on here you'd binned Windows?

All very well, but, like it or not, 99 per cent of computer programmes are designed to work with Windows and it's often easier to go with the flow.

Foxit is Windows compatible, not sure about other systems.

www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
 Failed PDF - MD
Hi Iffy. I have foxit reader from a previous recommendation, of yours perhaps, but when I try to convert a word doc to pdf I only get a macromedia option. From my past experiences of trying to be 'clever' on my PC I can create enormous chuff ups with ease! I am sure it is simple as are all things when you know how. How do I get Foxit to perform this task.

regards..Martin.
 Failed PDF - Zero
right click on the the icon of the pdf you want to get rid of. Click proprties, and then untick the "read only" box

you should be able to delete it.

Secondly if you want to make PDF copies of word docs, Use open office to open the word doc, then save as pdf
 Failed PDF - MD
Hi Z. it wouldn't make a PDF, but as a word file it wont delete. I'll try unticking the read only thing anyway and report back soon.

thanks MD
 Failed PDF - MD
can't untick read only in this word doc.
 Failed PDF - MD
also it appears that I don't have open office. Running windows XP home by the way.
 Failed PDF - MD
Just got this off of the Foxit update doofer.

Foxit PDF Creator (paid version) installs a virtual printer on your system. You can use Creator to convert any printable documents into high-quality PDFs conveniently and efficiently. The new version 3.0 supports document encryption to protect sensitive information, set document metadata, add headers/footers, as well as watermark to stamp a document. Note - Trial version will leave an evaluation mark on generated pages.

Advice please................martin.
 Failed PDF - Zero
Ok you need to down load open office before you can use it to make PDFs.

have you closed down the pc and rebooted? word might still have a hook into that document.
 Failed PDF - MD
Hi Z. Is open office a freebie?
 Failed PDF - Zero
Martin, I know your a two bit cheapskate. Of course it is.

Open office is a MS office replacement, and its free.
 Failed PDF - Zero
Oh BTW - My bills in the post.
 Failed PDF - MD
Hi Z. Yes it did have a 'hook' in it. Gone now. Post is often very late 'round 'ere!! Many thanks,

Martin.
 Failed PDF - Focusless
>> Yes it did have a 'hook' in it.

So you have Word - can't it generate PDFs?
 Failed PDF - Focusless
>> So you have Word - can't it generate PDFs?

I guess not if people are producing utilities like this:
www.go2pdf.com/doc-to-pdf.html
 Failed PDF - Zero
No it cant, and to me thats a major selling point of dumping Word and getting open office.
 Failed PDF - Iffy
...t of dumping Word and getting open office....

Worth getting the latest Open Office, too.

I came across a Word file with an extension '.docX', which my old version of Open Office wouldn't open.

The latest version - 3.0 I think - did open the document.
 Failed PDF - Zero
3.2 ----------- 3.1 doesent open docx
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 17 May 10 at 18:06
 Failed PDF - smokie
Latest Word you can save as pdf.
Latest Forum Posts