Computer Related > Family Tree free software Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 2

Family Tree free software - FocalPoint
I wonder if anyone can recommend free software for creating a simple family tree. Thanks in advance.
 Family Tree free software - steveincornwall
For a simple free program I found FZip very good. On my Ubuntu laptop I use "Gramps" which is good and also available in a Windows version but I've no idea how stable that version is.
On my Windows XP desktop I use Family Tree Maker 2010 (newer versions available). This is probably best and need not be very expensive, take a look on Ebay, I've had good service from a firm called TWR Computing who sell there. Gedview is good for viewing only on the ipad, get it from the app store.
Beware it's very addictive. Ancestory.co.uk have the 1901 and 1911 census available for free this weekend. Just found my great, great, great grandad in Plympton Devon.
 Family Tree free software - Mike H
>> Ancestory.co.uk have the 1901 and 1911 census available for free this
>> weekend. Just found my great, great, great grandad in Plympton Devon.
>>
A helpful link, but it's not very useful. Having typed in the town of of birth and town of residence of my great grandmother, it has returned pages of non-matching results. I can't for the life of me see how a birth town of Birmingham and a "lived in" town of Portsmouth should ever return the details of someone who was born and lived in Bournemouth. First-letter matching of the birth town is not particularly helpful!
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 30 Mar 13 at 20:22
Latest Forum Posts