Computer Related > New monitor suggestions Computing Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 19

New monitor suggestions - VxFan
Looks like my 9 year old monitor has died. Using the desktop PC earlier on and the screen suddenly went black. Switched off & back on and it worked for a couple of seconds before the screen went black again. Every time I cycle the on off switch the picture only stays on screen for a couple of seconds at most.

Hooked it up to my laptop and the same happened again. connected the desktop PC up to the LCD TV and got a picture which confirmed the video card is fine.

The old monitor has a 17" screen. It's not widescreen, btw.

I don't want the new one to be much bigger, although widescreen would be nice.

So, suggestions of something the size of a 17" or 19" widescreen monitor that has a good build quality and will last longer than 5 minutes please. The current one has a digital connector, but I see the video card has both a digital and serial socket. In fact I'm using the serial socket to connect to the LCD TV at the moment.

EDIT - or if someone knows what might be wrong with the broken monitor, I'm willing to have a go at repairing it. Happy enough waving a soldering iron about.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 1 Apr 13 at 01:07
 New monitor suggestions - RichardW
Assuming this is a flat screen monitor, then it might be the back light - shine a bright light on it when it has gone off and see if you can make out the picture. If so, fitting a new back light might be possible - I've seen instructions for doing it on a laptop panel. Otherwise it's probably had it - I had a laptop mionitor that went like that.
 New monitor suggestions - Zero
you wont get parts for a 9 year old monitor.

www.aria.co.uk/Products/Monitors+%26+TVs/19+inch/LG+19EN33S-B+19%22+16%3A9+LED+Widescreen+Monitor+-+Black+?productId=54776

Monitors are so silly cheap these days.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Apr 13 at 10:17
 New monitor suggestions - sherlock47
>>>If so, fitting a new back light might be possible<<<

it is a 9 year old monitor!

Cheaper to buy an ebay replacement monitor..... You should find a good 17" LCD monitor (good brand ) for less than £10 that is only a few years old. Look for collect only deals in your local area. You may get lucky and pay less tha £5.
>> Assuming this is a flat screen monitor, then it might be the back light

It is. Made by a company called Proview and then rebranded Advent. The thing is, it works for a couple of seconds so it can't be a faulty backlight.

>> Monitors are so silly cheap these days.

You're right. I didn't realise how cheap they've become online. I found one shortly after asking my question on ebuyer for just under £65

tinyurl.com/a5noacj

One thing I haven't checked properly yet is the power input, which is 12v DC from a separate adapter. It is outputting 12v but I haven't tried it under load yet to see if the voltage drops off.

Are there any benefits having a DVI connection instead of a VGA connection?

The current (failed) monitor has a DVI socket, but the graphics card has both types of socket.
 New monitor suggestions - rtj70
There's more than one type of DVI connection but usually it means you're using a digital connection from the graphics card to monitor. I say usually, because depending on the DVI socket you might also be able to plug in a VGA adapter to use an analogue signal. Not all DVI connections allow this.

To drive very high res monitors you'd normally be better off using DVI.

It's a shame you don't live near Manchester as I've got a monitor that could be spared for free. Otherwise it will probably go to a charity shop or recycling.
 New monitor suggestions - spamcan61
I'd have a think about what vertical height and shape monitor you're happiest with, my 17" 4:3 and 23" 16:9 monitors have much the same vertical screen height. 4:3 monitors are getting tricky to but new, from memory Morgan Computers and such like have used ones for about 50 notes. Widescreen very cheap thes edays as already mentioned.
The aspect ratio that is best for a monitor depends on what you will use it for. A compromise is one offering something like 1920 x 1200 instead of 1920 x 1080. But there is a big cost difference. I particularly dislike the widescreen resolution of my work laptop.
This is getting more of a mystery.

Last night I was using the LCD TV (with a VGA lead) as a monitor and everything was fine.

Today I switch on the PC, and as soon as the WinXP splash screen disappears the TV says "No Signal"

If however I boot up from the other hard drive that I have in the PC (which also has Win XP on it) then it's fine.

Why isn't the TV seeing the signal from the PC after the splash screen?

Could be outputting a signal the TV cannot cope with (e.g. refresh rate). Or maybe switching to use one of the outputs and turning off the VGA output or something.
Got it working again. I managed to boot up in safe mode and noticed for some strange reason the monitors were missing in the device manager.

Rolled back a couple of days and right as rain now.

Back to the original question now that I know the graphics card hasn't gone wrong. Apart from Zero's LG recommendation (which doesn't have a DVI input) and the Philips one that I found (which does have a DVI input) does anyone else have any suggestions for a new monitor?

I've decided on a 19" widescreen, btw. The overall dimensions are pretty much the same as my current 17" flatscreen so will fit where I want it just right.

New monitor suggestions - Zero
>> Got it working again. I managed to boot up in safe mode and noticed for
>> some strange reason the monitors were missing in the device manager.
>>
>> Rolled back a couple of days and right as rain now.
>>
>> Back to the original question now that I know the graphics card hasn't gone wrong.
>> Apart from Zero's LG recommendation (which doesn't have a DVI input)

Good lord, so it doesent, I didnt think they still made them with just analogue inputs.
That's what I thought. I double checked by looking on the LG website at the specs.
 New monitor suggestions - McP
Your problem does sound like a failed backlight.
They have lamps top and bottom. If one fails, the protection circuit kicks in and shuts off the inverter.
The top or bottom working lamp is bright enough to light most of the screen, so you do get a good image for a couple of seconds.
Lamps on their last legs often cause a pinkish screen.

Absolutely not worth replacing on a standard monitor and usually very awkward.
I replace lamps in touchscreens. An hour or two and £10 worth of lamps vs £400 for a new 15" unit.
>> Lamps on their last legs often cause a pinkish screen.

Now you come to mention it, approx a year ago I had to change from the default auto colour settings because the screen became paler and had to manually adjust the colour, contrast, etc settings to get it looking like it used to.
I've ordered the Philips 19" widescreen from ebuyer.

tinyurl.com/a5noacj
>> I've ordered the Philips 19" widescreen from ebuyer.

Which arrived on Wednesday. I can't get over how bright and vivid the colours are. Just goes to show you don't notice over a long period of time how things deteriorate.
 New monitor suggestions - sherlock47
>>I can't get over how bright and vivid the colours are. Just goes to show you don't notice over a long period of time how things deteriorate. <<

most people on here just put it down to the cataracts:)
 New monitor suggestions - No FM2R
>>Just goes to show you don't notice over a long period of time how things deteriorate.

My wife notices. And mentions it. I do my best, though.
Latest Forum Posts