Computer Related > Q Waves USB AV Extender - problems! Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 40

Q Waves USB AV Extender - problems! - Mike H
I have a laptop without an HDMI connector (long story, don't ask) and for the last couple of years I have been using a Q Waves USB HD AV kit to transmit picture & sound from my laptop to our TV. It works fine BUT at some point over the last couple of months an odd glitch has appeared. It transmits picture & sound to the TV as it always has done, but now, irrespective of application (browser, various DVD playing applications etc) it fails to show a picure on the TV in full screen mode unless I use the mouse right-click button. But obviously, when I do this, I get the right-click menu on the screen so I can't see much of the picture. The full screen image appears (as it always has done) on the laptop, but just shows a blank screen on the TV. Sound works fine, and if it's not in full screen mode I get an embedded video with no problems. My immediate thoughts were that probably a Windows update of some sort has caused a problem, or possibly a new version of Flash Player has interfered with something, although I wouldn't expect that to interfere with every application. There have been no updates to the software that drives the Q Waves stuff, they seem to have shut up shop, but I have uninstalled & reinstalled all the software (still available) to no effect.

This obscure problem is driving me slightly nuts. I've tried setting the laptop as the primary display, the TV, all to no avail.

Anyone any bright ideas?
 Q Waves USB AV Extender - problems! - Zero
What version of windoze is it?
Sorry Zed, posted a bit late! Windows 7.
 Q Waves USB AV Extender - problems! - No FM2R
It sounds like a resolution or screen size issue.

Is there somewhere that you set the display device details? Because I'd be looking there.
No manual adjustments have been made since I last used it. All I do is plug in a USB dongle to the laptop, plug in the transformer for the receiver which connects via an HDMI lead to the TV, and off it goes. So it follows that something outside my control has changed. I can use it as a monitor, and see everything, it is purely an issue with full screen mode when playing any type of video (Youtube, Media Player etc), which is why I'm stumped!
Seemingly is no technical failure.

If not an absolute failure, then surely its an adjustment issue?

If it was outside your control, then neither would you be able to fix it.

Thus, accept that there is an adjustment you can make. (If there is not, then game over).

Consequently, look for such an adjustment.

I'd be looking for somewhere that allows you to configure the display.

That must be one of video out options from the PC, or video through options on the receiver or video in settings on the TV.
 Q Waves USB AV Extender - problems! - rtj70
I would consider uninstalling and reinstalling it. For me that would rule out a lot of experimentation etc. and save time.

If you are not willing to do that, install it on another machine to see if that works.
>> I would consider uninstalling and reinstalling it. For me that would rule out a lot
>> of experimentation etc. and save time.
>>
Tried that. The drivers etc. are all still available, but it looks to me as the company that produced the software may have gone out of business.
Done all that No FM2R. I don't believe it's an adjustment issue, although obviously it was my first port of call. To reiterate, it worked last time I used it, but not the next. It shows the entire desktop perfectly, it is literally just full screen video which doesn't work UNLESS I right-click somewhere on the video, then it runs perfectly in full screen but with a huge right-click menu over parts of it. I left-click somewhere on the screen to get rid of the menu and presto! freezes on the monitor as a still. It then picks up if I right-click again. Perhaps you can begin to see why it's driving me a little potty.....

Unusually there was a period of at least 3 weeks since I last used it, which is why I'm thinking Windows updates.
 Q Waves USB AV Extender - problems! - smokie
So have you got a restore point? (Not preaching here, I don't use them...)

What about if you use the Escape key to clear the right hand menu?
>> So have you got a restore point? (Not preaching here, I don't use them...)
>>
>> What about if you use the Escape key to clear the right hand menu?
>>
Just tried restoring back to the oldest restore point I have, for 17th March, with no change.

And I've tried Escape to lose the right-click menu, but it just exits full screen mode.
Mike,

Which video player do you use?

EDIT: Scratch that, you said you use various and it affects browsing as well. Thinking.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 7 Apr 13 at 14:19
Assume it connects to your computer via USB?

And then what into the TV?
This is the didgery:

tinyurl.com/ctu4444

As you can see, it is a USB dongle that fits into the PC, then a receiver module that connects to the TV either by an HDMI cable or a combination of VGA plus sound cables. As you can see, it gets slightly mixed reviews, and there is a comment dated 1 March 2013 that indicates the manufacturers are no longer around.

If you're wondering why I went with this slightly dodgy solution, it was simply because, despite lots of good advice here some time ago, I was unable to get any sound feed into the amp from my laptop, and at the time the wireless solution that this device offers was preferable to having loads of cables around that needed to be connected each time.

While writing this, it does occur to me that I could try the VGA/sound cable option from the Q Waves receiver, in case it's an HDMI thing for some obscure reason.

And yes, I have restore points, just didn't really want to go down that route but it's worth a try if I have any going back that far.
Plug it into a different usb port, and then a different HDMI port on your tele. And try a different HDMI cable.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 7 Apr 13 at 20:24
I've had something similar with a second monitor and cannot for the life of me remember what it was. But it was screen resolution or size related, I'm sure. So I;m just having random thoughts hoping something triggers a thought in your mind.

The computer is happy to output a system display feed at full screen, hence the success when you have the windows right click menu up.

But it it not willing to output an application at full screen.

Consequently it is difficult to believe that there is a hardware fault, unless you have changed something. Although I'd still do the checks Zero suggested.

I presume it is willing to play a video at full screen on the computer monitor?

So what we're looking for is something which will impact application display output through your Extender but is not relevant to windows output.

I presume you have not changed either screen size or resolution on the computer. However, I still feel that there is a setting somewhere which has changed.

Can't be the TV or it wouldn't correct even with right click menu
Can't be the widget or ....ditto.....
Can't be hardware or ....ditto....
Can't be flashplayer since you said that a browser window fails also

Where "can't" equals "not likely".

So it must be computer based configuration.

Are you sure you've not changed anything even vaguely related? Installed a game, different video player, new screen, graphics settings, video drivers, USB drivers etc. etc.

Does the computer see the TV as a second monitor? If so, have you checked the display settings?

>> Are you sure you've not changed anything even vaguely related? Installed a game, different video
>> player, new screen, graphics settings, video drivers, USB drivers etc. etc.
>>

Not knowingly done any of those, unless Windows update unloaded a new video or USB driver. One of the reasons that I haven't used the full screen for a while is that I've been backwards and forwards to the UK due to family illness, and as a result haven't spent any time fiddling with the laptop nor watching iPlayer in full screen mode.

Just a thought. I've been carrying the laptop to and fro between the UK and Austria. My normal internet conection is at home (in Austria) but recently it has spent a fair time connected to the internet at my parents house in the UK. Would it have picked up anything different in terms of updates etc?? Just a random thought.

>> Does the computer see the TV as a second monitor? If so, have you checked
>> the display settings?
>>
Yes, absolutely fine, clear as a bell. Text (e.g. Outlook inbox, emails etc) are no problem. Works tickety boo as a monitor.

Have tried fiddling with resolutions-

Have tried using the TV as the only display, as an extended display, and as a duplicate. Still the same.

Plays full screen from DVD, HD, internet absolutely fine on the laptop display, irrespective of whether it's connected to the TV or not.

He he, this has got the best brains flummoxed! And mine ;-)

Then I don't know.

If I was in that situation then I would go back to square one and start again. Since it appears like you've covered all the bases, then one can only assume that you must have missed something, although damned if I know what.

I'd still be thinking screen size/resolution settings conflicting somewhere and I'd try it with another television and/or another PC if I could.

If I have any inspiration, then I'll let you know. But I doubt I will.

Sorry.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 8 Apr 13 at 14:48
Like Mark, I'd say going back to square one is what I'd try. Perhaps totally uninstalling the drivers/software (but it may not remove totally) or try on another computer that does not have this installed on is another approach. If the problem is there on a clean install you know it's not the software. If it isn't then it's a problem with the config/install on the laptop.
>> Plug it into a different usb port, and then a different HDMI port on your
>> tele. And try a different HDMI cable.
>>
Mmm, tried different USB ports on the laptop, but not fiddled with the HDMI cable. I'll try a spare, and use a different HDMI port on the TV.
OK, well, I have now tried different HDMI leads. I have tried connecting the TV to the receiver with a VGA cable. I have tried different HDMI ports on the TV. I have tried different USB ports on the laptop. Nothing has changed the status quo.

I believe I have previously uninstalled and reinstalled all the relevant software, but I am now trying this again.
Don't s'pose you have a different laptop you can try it with?
I've got a netbook but I don't think it would be chunky enough to run it even as a trial.

I have totally uninstalled & reinstalled all the software, it worked for a minute or so then crashed out. I have a suspicion that it just might be related to Flash Player, as I just get a white screen using Chrome (with the 11.7.700.179 plugin) but it sort of works with Internet Explorer with the 11.6.602.180 plugin. Trying to play a DVD using Media Player, once again I get a picture which only moves when I right-click.

Absolutely bizarre, it's driving me nuts as until I fix it I can't watch iPlayer full screen. And the DVD player has decided to pack up, but because of this problem I can't use the laptop as a DVD player and stream it to the TV......growl.Luckily I'm not a slave to the TV and it really isn't life-threatening.

One thing I forgot to mention. Even with a white screen, the mouse still works and moves across the screen. And the sound is fine.
Plug the laptop into the TV using VGA and line out. Move on. Do you really need to wireless solution to work? What other output on the laptop - I'm assuming VGA only and no Displayport?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 17 Apr 13 at 23:22
>> Plug the laptop into the TV using VGA and line out. Move on. Do you
>> really need to wireless solution to work? What other output on the laptop - I'm
>> assuming VGA only and no Displayport?
>>
Wish I could, I had a thread here about 18 months ago trying to work out why I couldn't use the headphone out as an output into an amp, which was never resolved. I'll look out the thread later, but I was getting distortion and very low volume, unuseable basically. The VGA output was no problem for the video.

Hence I went for this solution.
>> it worked for a minute or so then crashed out.

Well that's pretty bad news, that means something is failing rather than just being mal-adjusted.

you'll have to rethink this solution, it was, after all, very kludgy and klunky, one that you could almost have predicted would end in tears.

The proper solution is a newish laptop with an HDMI video port and an HDMI cable.
>> you'll have to rethink this solution, it was, after all, very kludgy and klunky, one
>> that you could almost have predicted would end in tears.
>>
>> The proper solution is a newish laptop with an HDMI video port and an HDMI
>> cable.
>>
DON'T! This laptop which is only two years old should, according to the specs, have had one, which is why I chose it, but ended up as a business version, WITHOUT the HDMI. It's a long story.
These are the threads that I started, it seems, much longer ago than 18 months! With the second, when I bought the Q Waves, I thought I had solved it so I never investigaed the external sound card options that were suggested, I'll take a look at those when I've got a minute. Can't believe something that ought to be so simple has become so complicated :-(

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=2789&m=55058
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=3704&m=76369#

I do appreciate everyone's time on this. I'm afraid that, with a computing background, once I get something like this I tend to be like a terrier until it's solved!
Last edited by: Mike H on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 09:54
>> but ended up as a business version, WITHOUT the HDMI. It's a long story.

You sure it doesn't have DisplayPort instead of HDMI? A 'business' laptop is likely to not have HDMI due to the licensing costs the manufacturer would pay. So DisplayPort plus VGA is common. If it's got DisplayPort then you could use a DP to HDMI adapter.

Also, some laptops have SPDIF output via the headphone socket. It's dual purpose.

I'd be checking out the spec of the laptop if it's only two years old - there might be a solution that was not suggested all those years ago.

I don't think you ever mentioned what laptop it actually was.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 10:21
It's an Asus K50AF. Appears to have 4x USB ports, ethernet port, VGA connection, microphone socket, and a headphone socket. This is the official spec:

www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K50AF/#specifications

Doesn't mention a dual purpose SPDIF output socket.

Believe me, I was not happy to find out it didn't have an HDMI socket!
So it's an 'ultrabook' so they must have thought fitting something useful like a digital video connector took too much room. My work laptop doesn't have HDMI either - but it does have Displayport.

If you'd bought this and expecting it to have had HDMI then I'd have sent it back.
>> If you'd bought this and expecting it to have had HDMI then I'd have sent
>> it back.
>>
Like I said, it's a long story. The printed specs for the same laptop showed that it should have had an HDMI output. Sending it back was not really an option at the time. I didn't realise at the time how much of a problem this whole shennanigan was going to be. If we were in the pub I'd buy you a pint and explain how the whole thing came about.
>> It's an Asus K50AF.

OOoooo If I was you I wouldn't have got one of them.
Well, at least it hasn't died without warning like the HP did! :-)
Last edited by: Mike H on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 19:27
If anyone still has the will to live on this one, a direct VGA conection between the laptop & TV is fine under all circumstances for the full screen video. Just need the sound now :-(
It's you I feel sorry for trying to sort this out. I think I'd now just get a USB sound adapter to try. No idea what this is like but might be worth a try:

www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/components-upgrades/sound-interface-cards/sound-cards/creative-sound-blaster-play-7-1-channel-usb-sound-card-11358328-pdt.html

It does mention line out.

The only downside will be having to select this as the output to use each time it's plugged in. But I'm just assuming you'd have to.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 18 Apr 13 at 20:56
I'm going for a cheap fix on this. I have just tried plugging the 3.5mm jack to 2x phono adapter into the amp, and I get a lot of humming before I even connect the laptop. The lead seems to be a poor quality unscreened type, so I have invested 4 euros in a decent adaptor lead to take an output from the headphone socket to the amp. We'll see what happens.
>> I'm going for a cheap fix on this.

We call it a bodge......
>> We call it a bodge......
>>
I call it a technologically cost-effective alternative solution, since the original problem seems intractable :-)
>> I'm going for a cheap fix on this. I have just tried plugging the 3.5mm
>> jack to 2x phono adapter into the amp, and I get a lot of humming
>> before I even connect the laptop. The lead seems to be a poor quality unscreened
>> type, so I have invested 4 euros in a decent adaptor lead to take an
>> output from the headphone socket to the amp. We'll see what happens.
>>
Well, the new lead arrived while I was on holiday in the UK. The sound now seems to be fine if I connect the amp via the headphone socket on the laptop. Using a VGA connector from the laptop to the TV gives me fullscreen playback, so I'm now a happy bunny.

Of course, I could have bought this €4 lead in the first place and saved a lot of heartache & expense :-(

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, I still haven't got to the bottom of the original problem, but I have at least now achieved what I set out to do.
Last edited by: Mike H on Sat 18 May 13 at 18:45
Latest Forum Posts