Computer Related > Streaming from my NAS to my Android on t'internet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 4

Streaming from my NAS to my Android on t'internet - smokie
I have a Thecus N2200 Plus NAS and want to be able to stream to my Android when I'm out and about.

Someone suggested Plex, not supported on my NAS.

I downloaded the Twonky Server mod for the NAS but that seems to be local only.

Anyone got any ideas what products might work for me?
 Streaming from my NAS to my Android on t'internet - swiss tony
Ik ben bang dat ik heb geen idee waar je het over ..
Ik ben bang dat ik heb geen idee waar je het over ..
 Streaming from my NAS to my Android on t'internet - No FM2R
Doh. [big edit]

I recommended Plex and then re-read your note.

Sorry, but Plex is the only one I know.

Maybe this will give you some thoughts...

alternativeto.net/software/plex/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 13 Apr 13 at 11:34
 Streaming from my NAS to my Android on t'internet - rtj70
Do you have VPN access to the home network? I have setup OpenVPN on my Netgear NAS and it seems to work well. And if you went the VPN route:

1. The Android device is on your network so the Twonky server might be okay
2. It might be more secure

Downside is the VPN itself might not be fast enough for streaming if the CPU takes a hit on the NAS. I am pretty sure your NAS could support OpenVPN.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 13 Apr 13 at 18:34
 Streaming from my NAS to my Android on t'internet - smokie
Been away this weekend and managed to get Plex set up on my PC as a server, just to test how streaming would work on my ISP. Seemed a bit jerky for a bit but then settled down. Quite a nice product, except after playing around with it yesterday afternoon I couldn't get it to recognise my credentials again - probably user error!

It looks like Plex only runs properly on expensive NAS boxes, and I'm not about to upgrade mine just for this (mine wasn't that cheap).

I think a bit more testing with it though, to establish whether that's the way to go - if so, may well investigate the VPN. Twonky is going to cost me a few bob - only about £14 I think - but at the moment I don't want to spend that until I know it will work on my link. Also, although there is a version of Twonky server for my NAS (- I already have it active, but not working) - I don't see how I will enter the licence key.

Update: Link to supported NAS docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhqU12yGv_OxdC1VYjYtMmRiSlVReVZhNVBLZ0JxSmc#gid=0
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 14 Apr 13 at 19:07
Latest Forum Posts