Computer Related > Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 13

Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - Focusless
Following on from www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=6&t=1176 we've decided to splash out on a new Windows 7 Home Premium (full), but just wondering whether to go for 32 or 64 bit.

PC is just an E1400 low range dual core with 2Gb RAM on a Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L motherboard, 250Gb HD and 7900GS graphics (I can see there are 32 and 64 bit graphics drivers).

The main programs we run are SWMBO's MS Office, and son's games - eg. World of Warcraft and non-cutting edge first person shooters.

I suspect the safest option is 32 bit - any big reason(s) for going for the 64 bit version? They're the same price.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - Zero
My last build was for someone who wanted a machine for photoshop. I went for windows 7 64 bit and 12gb of memory ( a 2 gb stick of memory in each slot ).

And that is the sum of it really, if you want or have more than 3gb of memory then you use 64 bit. Lack of 64 bit device drivers is becoming a non isue.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - The Nut
As zero said if you want more than 3GB you need 64 bit, other than that there is very little difference now. I am running the 64 bit version with 4 GB and the only driver that is a problem is AMD RAID, but I decided against using RAID anyway.

There is one little difference that's probably not a worry, 64 bit can't run very old 16 bit programs but I doubt that you would be using anything like that unless it's bespoke software for some industrial purpose.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - lancara
My Windows 7 included both 32-bit and 64-bit discs so you could try both. Recent desktops/laptops seem to be loaded with 64-bit irrespective of the memory size

Reference old programmes, the only one that caused problems was a 2002 version of Microsoft Money. However its possible to run it in the compatability mode of Win7
Thanks guys - looks like it should be ok to go for the 64 bit version. Might be useful if I add more RAM or get a new PC with 4+Gb.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - Victorbox
Always worth running Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first: tinyurl.com/yfz3kzd
If your PC was built pre-Windows 7 I think you will find 32bit the easier option compatibility-wise particularly as you have 2GB RAM. I've installed Windows 7 32bit on a 5 year old Pentium 4 with all drivers available from Microsoft except for the sound card. I'm not sure it would have been as smooth with the 64bit version.
Last edited by: Victorbox on Sun 23 May 10 at 19:41
>> Always worth running Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor first: tinyurl.com/yfz3kzd

Do they do a version for linux? :-)

>> If your PC was built pre-Windows 7

Not so much built as evolved...

>> I've installed Windows 7 32bit on a
>> 5 year old Pentium 4 with all drivers available from Microsoft except for the sound
>> card.

The sound is provided by the motherboard which has Windows 7 64 bit driver downloads on the Gigabyte website, so presumably it should be ok. No cards apart from the graphics, which as mentioned previously also has 64 bit drivers available.

NEWSFLASH: just mentioned the 32/64 bit dilemma to SWMBO, and I have been instructed to get the 32 bit version if there's any chance it's going to mean fewer problems. She says I'm always buying one thing which results in having to buy other things, which of course is completely untrue. Well, mostly untrue. I mean, sometimes I don't have to buy many other things at all.
...although Amazon are doing the full retail version, which includes 32 + 64 bit versions as mentioned by lancara earlier, for £90. That's only £10 more than eBuyer are asking for the single versions OEMs which I was going to buy, and it would mean I could reinstall it on a new PC legally. So that would appear to be the best bet.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - RattleandSmoke
Not had a single issue yet with supporting clients 64-bit Windows 7 machines. I have managed to get everything working with a bit of searching for drivers :).
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - smokie
Using 32 bit here. There was a reason way back in Jan when I installed it, but I can't remember what it was now. 32 bit is fine for me.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - PeteW
Smokie, do you use e-fax? This was the only program I had problems with when I went to 64bit Windows 7. Other than this, I didn't have any other issues.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - smokie
No, and I don't use much "exotic" software at all. I don't remember seeing much benefit but there was some risk. I'm also stuck with a mobo which will only accept 2Gb memory so although the system is well configured apart from that (quad Intel processor, SSD drives, high end video card etc) I think I felt that I'd just go with 32 bit for now.

IIRC the version I bought gave me the choice anyway...so I could always do it later if I felt the need.
 Windows 7 - 32 or 64 bit? - Victorbox
>> The sound is provided by the motherboard which has Windows 7 64 bit driver downloads
>> on the Gigabyte website, so presumably it should be ok.

My problem was the onboard sound chip had no Windows 7 support so I popped in a cheap PCI sound card that was supported once you worked who made the sound chip not the card itself and found the manufacturer's Windows 7 driver!
Box arrived yesterday evening, installed 32 bit to minimse risk of getting grief from son and SWMBO. Painless. Windows experience index base score of 5.0, with 5.4 for gaming graphics and 5.9 for desktop graphics IIRC, which I think is ok given that the total cost of CPU + graphics card was under £70.

Haven't had chance to play with it much yet, but it looks nice :)
Latest Forum Posts