Computer Related > Recommend me..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 16

Recommend me..... - borasport
a tablet PC, please

I will soon become more deskbound and the laptop I currently use everywhere will be replaced by a PC in the office, but I've become used to browsing on the laptop whilst watching the Tv at home.

probably also to be used for emails, skype, audio and e-books when on holiday

I'd prefer a reasonable sized screen, and the budget is up to £200. I did consider the £80 jobbies on sale @Aldi from thursday, but I think I would prefer a larger screen

For my budget, I guess it's going to be android ?
 Recommend me..... - Dog
Check these out Sahib: goo.gl/TTLb2 (QVC)
 Recommend me..... - Telb
I'm doing this on a Kindle Fire. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially the predictive text but on the whole I'm well impressed. It handles emails well and the HD display is particularly good.

A pretty good ereader too although I'm sticking to my Mark I Kindle for that as I find the un-backlit screen on it less of a strain on the ageing eyes.

HTH
 Recommend me..... - Telb
I should have added that I've invested in one of those electrostatic plunger stylus thingies as it's more accurate than my finger and it keeps the screen cleaner.
 Recommend me..... - Fursty Ferret
If you need it now, get a Nexus 7.

If you can hold off for a month or two, the Nexus 7 is rumoured to be updated with a much higher resolution screen and an improved brain, but sticking to the same price of £169.
 Recommend me..... - smokie
You may want to factor in a keyboard if you expect to do much typing (e.g. posting here) - I bought a rather expensive tablet last year with a detachable keyboard, but mates at work seem to get along fine with a Bluetooth one.
 Recommend me..... - CGNorwich
Save up an extra £60 and buy an Apple Ipad mini. Way ahead of the rest.
 Recommend me..... - rtj70
I spent a lot of time researching a tablet last year. And had thought a Nexus 7 was the thing I'd want... I worked out for a tablet in regular use (and not as an ebook reader), a larger display is a must. Some might disagree but viewing websites etc on a 7" tablet is okay for occasional use but not as a device you use a lot.

Another consideration for me I admit is using the tablet for technical PDFs... not actually used it for that much but a device smaller than 10" was not much better than my phone.

I suspect a lot of new devices will be released soon though. So costs might come down.
 Recommend me..... - Crankcase
For that budget you could pick up an ipad 1 from eBay, if you were feeling brave and got the right vibes.
 Recommend me..... - mikeyb
We have had an ipad 2 for a year or so and the whole family love it - it gets a lot of use. We bought it from apple direct but as a refurbished unit. Their refurb kit is really like new, and TBH I couldn't tell the difference bar the box had refurbished on it.

Last week we bought an ipad mini for 2nd sons birthday - really impressed, and it makes the ipad feel heavy and bulky.

I understand the Samsung tabs are good and start within your budget
 Recommend me..... - Armel Coussine
The nippers have all got these things, quite small nippers of 10 or 11. I think there is a certain amount of parental confiscation sometimes, but the damn things are ever present with their little fingers whacking the display this way and that.

I've resisted every stage of the communications revolution until now and I don't see any reason to change. I still miss my green-screen Amstrad which had to be booted daily from disks, and its very rough 9-pin dot matrix printer. Its draft mode was very aesthetically pleasing, blurred and uneven.

Yup, kicking and screaming every inch of the way into the 21st... Don't need a supersmartphonethingywithbellsandwhistles just yet.
 Recommend me..... - Bromptonaut
>> Yup, kicking and screaming every inch of the way into the 21st... Don't need a
>> supersmartphonethingywithbellsandwhistles just yet.

Me too AC. Choc bar phone for calls/texts and laptop or netbook for net. Don't miss anything pre XP though.
 Recommend me..... - Armel Coussine
>> Don't miss anything pre XP though.

Quite... I've gone up by stages to this smallish Macbook Pro, a bit dear but a jolly good product and quite a portable size, does me fine. That and the good old Nokia. Herself has a bigger Toshiba laptop with XP.

I did like the output of that dot matrix printer. Really rough like telex in the middle of nowhere. But all things pass.

All these systems keep imposing tiresome new designs on you. I hate that. Always screws me up.
 Recommend me..... - Kevin
>I spent a lot of time researching a tablet last year. And had thought a Nexus 7 was the thing I'd want...
>Some might disagree but viewing websites etc on a 7" tablet is okay for occasional use but not as a device
>you use a lot.

I've had a Nexus 7 for quite a while now and you are perfectly correct. I use mine alot as an organiser and because I sync documents with my laptop I'm usually prepared for anything that may arise in a meeting, but as a full time browser the display is too small and the lack of a keyboard would be a real PITA for anything more than simple input/editing.
 Recommend me..... - borasport
Nice to have one's own prejudices confirmed, I was convinced the 7" screen wouldn't be big enough, although the Asus jobby I saw in costco the other day did look impressing.

n.b. - nobody should rush out to buy that aldi/lidl thing - Carphone warehouse are selling exactly the same thing for £10 less !
 Recommend me..... - TeeCee
The Acer Iconia Tab A210 can be found around that price if you look hard.

I have the, now discontinued, A510 and it's so good for the money that I bought two.
 Recommend me..... - Stuartli
I've just bought a Google Nexus 10 from the Google Play store. Superb, especially the screen. Google apparently subsidies the price of £389 (the 32GB version in my case) and £319 for the 16GB. Best to have as much storage as possible though...:-)

play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_10_32gb
Latest Forum Posts