Computer Related > Folders in Gmail? Computing Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 7

Folders in Gmail? - movilogo
If I apply labels, the emails still clutter my inbox.

I just want to move them somewhere out of my inbox.

These are not spam emails.

Folders in Gmail? - No FM2R
Select the item, click on the little picture of a folder at the top, select "Move to" and choose/create the folder.

Quite different to labels.
This action again creates a label.
 Folders in Gmail? - No FM2R
>>This action again creates a label.

Insofar as all folders are a label within an index, yes it does.

But it is ONLY under the label/folder you've chosen, and not in your inbox.

Which is what you said you wanted.

EDIT: What Manatee said.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 24 Apr 13 at 16:25
 Folders in Gmail? - Manatee

>> I just want to move them somewhere out of my inbox.

You can just click on 'archive'.

They'll disappear from the in box but will still be in the 'all mail' view.
Yes, archiving does remove it from inbox but still gets mixed up with all other emails.

I am looking for something you can create in Hotmail, Yahoo etc. - real folders.

Folders in Gmail? - Manatee
>> Yes, archiving does remove it from inbox but still gets mixed up with all other
>> emails.
>>
>> I am looking for something you can create in Hotmail, Yahoo etc. - real folders.

Quote:

>> I just want to move them somewhere out of my inbox.

Anyways, you can.

Let's say you have emails from Amazon cluttering your inbox, but you don't want to delete them.

You set up a label, or folder (they are the same in this context) called 'Amazon'.

If you select an email and then click 'Label', 'Amazon' then

- it will show two labels - Amazon and Inbox. It will be in both. When you look at it in 'All Mail' you can see both labels.

- it will also be in your Amazon folder if you look in there, but it is still in the In box too.

If you select an email and click 'Move to', 'Amazon' it will remove the Inbox label, add the Amazon label, and it will show in Amazon but not in Inbox. When you look at it in All Mail you can see the Amazon label.

There is a third way (there always is).

Select your Amazon email in Inbox, and click 'Label', 'Amazon'. Now click 'Archive'. It will now be in the Amazon folder and not in the Inbox.

In short, you have to click 'Move to', 'Archive', or 'Delete' to get it out of the In box. I suggest you use Archive if you don't need it in a specific folder, otherwise use 'Move to'.

>> I am looking for something you can create in Hotmail, Yahoo etc. - real folders.

The folders aren't real ;-) The Gmail ones are just the same really. It's just that the same email can be in one, more than one, or none (except All Mail - archived).
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 24 Apr 13 at 15:39
OK, finally made it.

Indeed "Inbox" is just another label in Gmail.

After selecting the email header, there are 2 icons - one with label icon and another with folder icon. Clicking on label icon, it assigns that label to the email (but still stays on inbox) but clicking on folder icon, it assigns that label on that email but it removes the inbox label from the email - so the email actually goes under specific label and no longer shows up under "inbox".

Strange that I didn't notice this before but you always learn something new :-)

Latest Forum Posts