Computer Related > Wireless network connection problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 7

Wireless network connection problems - nice but dim
I recently reinstalled XP (w SP3) on my old PC and you can connect to the WLAN ok. Once the PC is rebooted it attempts to connect and then fails and then reconnects and fails. This process is non stop. Its like the scenario when you try to connect to a WLAN with the wrong password. If I manually connect by typing in the password again it connects until you reboot and the fails start again.

It is using a Belkin WLAN USB and standard XP zero configuration.

Any ideas chaps?
Last edited by: nice but dim on Sun 28 Apr 13 at 21:47
 Wireless network connection problems - Fursty Ferret
Have you tried grabbing newer drivers from the Belkin site?

I had a similar problem where a Belkin USB adapter wouldn't reconnect after the computer fell asleep, and the only solution was to change it to a Netgear branded adapter.
 Wireless network connection problems - Bromptonaut
Assume from mention of password you're using WAP?

First of all. as FF suggests make sure you've got the latest drivers.

If no joy next step is turning security off temporarily to see if it's that rather than hardware/firmware.

FWIW we cannot get WAP to work reliably with our esoteric mix of XP, Vista/7, Apple and Android devices. Now rely on MAC address filtering for permitted devices only and the network SSID being off.

Even that sometimes foxes SWMBO's Kindle and kid's I-Pods.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 29 Apr 13 at 10:20
Hi FF, I've tried and brand new Belkin USB from PC World and used the drivers on the CD with no joy.
Just found this and I think it might apply to me, what do you think?

support.microsoft.com/kb/896691
 Wireless network connection problems - TeeCee
That looks suspiciously like the problem you are describing and the hotfix is probably worth a punt.

However, I have seen this behaviour before for another reason. That's where the manufacturer's driver pack also contains their own, home brewed, wireless connection utility which conflicts with the internal Windows zero config. It may be worth checking that what you have installed is merely the drivers and not a raft of associated crudware along with.

These days, to avoid such issues, I make a point of unpacking the drivers to a directory, plugging the thing in and then allowing Windows to install the drivers from that directory, rather than running a manufacturer-supplied installation routine.

Fire up "services.msc" from the "run" prompt and just check that the zero config service has not been disabled. Should be startup type = Automatic. If all is kosher there, try the hotfix from MS.
Thanks to all replies, I tried the hotfix but it said my service pack was newer than the update and wouldn't let me install. I'm fed up of the wireless problems so have just stuck a LAN cable in between the router and the PC and I'm happy with that. Everything else connects wirelessly like laptop and phone and I got a refund from PC World on the USB adapter to win win.
 Wireless network connection problems - busbee
it attempts to connect and then fails and then reconnects and fails.

It could be that your modem signal is weak and that can be caused by metalwork being too close to your modem. It will affect the aerial/s.

I have a Thomson "technicollor" white plastic box modem about 25mm high (1") and it sits on top of my desktop tall metal case. Quite a weak signal from it in my lounge if I do not put my 50mm thick piece of plastic foam under it. Then it is excellent.

If using win7 you should be able to click the modem icon (on your laptop) and see an indication of the signal strength. You could also test with your laptop close to the modem.
Latest Forum Posts