Computer Related > No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 Computing Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 17

No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - VxFan
Over the weekend web pages only partially load, or not at all until I refresh the page - sometimes I have to do it twice.

I ran a connectivity check on my router (Thomson TG585 v7) and got the following messages.

No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 (212.139.132.42)
No Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (212.139.132.41)

My Internet provider can't help (TalkTalk - what a surprise!)

Apparently it's a known issue, but even googling for an answer I can't find out how to change the DNS Server settings to something else on my router.

TalkTalk say that I am due a free router upgrade which should resolve the problem. Sending one out to me. We'll see. I got the original router when I was with Pipex, who were bought out by Tiscalli, then TT.

It's not the PC that the router is connected to via an eithernet cable that's the problem. I have the same issues with my laptop and iPhone through wi-fi.

I can't see how changing the router will resolve it. Surely the same DNS Servers will be in place?
Anyone got any suggestions?
Or do I simply change the DNS Server settings in the Local Area Connection in Network Connections?

Or more precisely, the TCP/IP properties bit?

"Use the following DNS server addresses"

Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.8.4

(8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4 are Google's public DNS)

Having changed the above settings, it appears that I'm no longer having a problem.

But that would mean having to change all other devices that connect through the router to as well, wouldn't it?

No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - Zero
>> Or do I simply change the DNS Server settings in the Local Area Connection in
>> Network Connections?
>>
>> Or more precisely, the TCP/IP properties bit?
>>
>> "Use the following DNS server addresses"
>>
>> Preferred DNS server: 8.8.8.8
>> Alternate DNS server: 8.8.8.4
>>
>> (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4 are Google's public DNS)
>>
>> Having changed the above settings, it appears that I'm no longer having a problem.
>>
>> But that would mean having to change all other devices that connect through the router
>> to as well, wouldn't it?

You change the router DNS settings to google ones, then change all the pcs to automatic dns or the address of your router - 192.168.0.1 for example.
>> You change the router DNS settings to google ones,

If only I could. Nothing in the router settings that will allow me to.
>> If only I could. Nothing in the router settings that will allow me to.

Correction, it looks like I can add/delete DNS servers via a DOS window and then type 'telnet 192.168.1.254' to make the required changes.

Too late now to have a play though. Something to try later this evening.
>> Too late now to have a play though. Something to try later this evening.

Sorted. Router DNS Servers 1 & 2 changed to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

(edit - I previously said Google's DNS Servers were 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4. That was wrong. The latter is 8.8.4.4)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 21:31
 No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - car4play
My guess is that the router is merely acting as a DHCP server to all connected hosts. (Pcs).
So it will be dishing out those name servers to any devices on DHCP.
Are there no DHCP Settings on the router you can fiddle with? Either that or it has been customised by talk talk to have those settings as part of its connection.
Your only other alternative is to change them on a host by host basis as you suggest.
>> Are there no DHCP Settings on the router you can fiddle with?

Not that I can find.
 No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - Bromptonaut
My netgear router allows me to set the primary and secondary DNS servers as part of the setup. It's in ADSL settings on the current Netgear. So far as I recall the same applied to previous Linksys and Belkin items but no doubt at different places in the setup menu.

IP addresses for the DNS were supplied by my ISP - Demon.

All three routers were retail purchases though rather than ISP 'free' or recommended items
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 29 Apr 13 at 21:41
 No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - Zero
>> Over the weekend web pages only partially load, or not at all until I refresh
>> the page - sometimes I have to do it twice.
>

I have the same issues with talk Talk, and its not the first time.

They can now go and whistle in the wind, I am moving to BT, Talk Talk are a shower of ****.

I even use the google DNS servers, yet I still have bouts of failure to resolve the sites.

The answer is to dump Talk Talk.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 00:30
 No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - Pat
I'm getting that too.

Pat
 No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - Falkirk Bairn
AOL sufferer - DNS up and down like a w****'s K******s for about 2 weeks.

Reluctant to change was the area I am in has poor aluminium wiring (cheapo 1970s wiring to save cost of copper).

Over the last 10 years or so I have had new connections at box at foot of road/ local exchange and this connection is actually the best. Previously issues when there was heavy rain or somebody between me and the exchange dialled a call - he/she must have died / got a new connection and power off/power on limited to say 1 or 2 times a week instead of 4/5 times per day previously.

As soon as Fibre is in the street I will be fine. What is galling is that no more than 25 yds away from my lounge is a fibre cable(laid for a local business park), running past the end of my for the last 20 years!
>> AOL sufferer. DNS up and down for about 2 weeks.

And who owns AOL UK?

Yep, Talk Talk. But will they admit to there being a problem - NO!
>>As soon as Fibre is in the street I will be fine

Fibre Update

400 yds away the BT Fibre vans are filling the local streets..........the village 400 yds away is on a different exchange and their entire exchange will be live on fibre by late summer at the latest.

My eldest son has no plans to go Fibre as he gets 11-12 Meg. His home is within 4/500 yds of the main exchange

"My Exchange" is not on the Fibre Radar for the next 2 years at least!
 No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - rtj70
A shame as the speed benefits are large. If I could get ADSL or VDSL (the BT fibre product) for the same price then it's a no brainer. Unless you don't want to sign a new contract for whatever reason.

We're a fair way from the exchange but I get a very fast download and an extremely fast upload speed too. I might even get a tiny bit of speed improvement if I moved the VDSL modem and router downstairs where the master socket is. As it is, it is connected to some CAT5 cabling (installed by BT Openreach).
 No Connectivity to DNS Server 1 & 2 - swiss tony
I was with Tiscali - I legged it as soon as I heard talk talk were taking over.

I went with BT - have had no issues (touch wood)
AOL ( aka Talk-Talk) DNS playing up again again - intermittent as I can get my Bank but cannot get the creditcard company. BBC works now and then ..............any point of calling India?

I wouldn't imagine so....last time they said it was my PC/router and re-booting would clear it!
>> any point of calling India?
>> I wouldn't imagine so....

Correct. When I called them. they said I needed a new router. The new one, albeit works ok, but wasn't practical in where I wanted to put it. My old one is wall mountable, but the new one has to sit on a desk/table.

After reconfiguring the DNS Server settings to the Google ones on the old router, it now works fine.

Is there no way of changing your DNS settings like I did?
Latest Forum Posts