Computer Related > Anti Virus Computing Issues
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 13

Anti Virus - Skip
I have just bought a BlackBerry Play book (running Android) and was wondering if I need to put an anti virus on it and if so what would be best?
 Anti Virus - Telb
Always a sensible precaution to use an anti-virus. I've got Dr Web Spiderguard on the Kindle Fire. Have a look in your app store and check the reviews. There's usually an acceptable freebie there.
 Anti Virus - Zero
No - Android AVs are useless. Its the roque android app you need to watch out for, wont be found by AV.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 May 13 at 15:08
 Anti Virus - AnotherJohnH
Not according to (some of) the people who make AV -

blog.lookout.com/blog/2013/04/19/the-bearer-of-badnews-malware-google-play/
 Anti Virus - movilogo
I would not worry too much about virus on playbook.
 Anti Virus - Zero
>> Not according to (some of) the people who make AV -

Well they would, wouldnt they. You physically have to download really stupid and worthless apps to get caught with stuff like that, and even then they just attempt to guide you to paid for apps.

AV makers are trying to make it sound as bad as Windows where you can get caught with virii without downloading applications or progs.

So, I stand by my "You dont need AV on android" statement.
 Anti Virus - TeeCee
>> AV makers are trying to make it sound as bad as Windows where you can
>> get caught with virii without downloading applications or progs.
>>

Pretty much dead now that. All the big ones these days are either "social engineering" (Install our FREE faceberk app!!11!) or java/adobe exploits.
There's an IE8 remote exploit out right now, so rare that it actually makes headlines in the tech press these days.

As the never-ending stream of 3rd party application exploits tend to work cross-platform (the java ones run on any OS / browser combo having the java plugin enabled), the only thing keeping Windows at the forefront is the fact that the payloads tend to be Win focussed. Given the wide takeup of Android, I doubt that's going to remain the case for much longer.

Last remote execution exploit I recall doing the rounds prior to the current IE8 scare was for the Mac......
 Anti Virus - Skip
So basically the only threat to this playbook would come from downloading a dodgy app ?
 Anti Virus - Zero
yup
 Anti Virus - Skip
>> yup
>>

Cheers
 Anti Virus - Telb
It's knowing which apps are the dodgy ones and which are ok that's the trick!
 Anti Virus - Ambo
Should have bought a Chromebook maybe. It seems the Cloud, or whatever, takes care of viruses and storage.
 Anti Virus - Zero
>> Should have bought a Chromebook maybe. It seems the Cloud, or whatever, takes care of
>> viruses and storage.

I wouldn't rely 100% on either of those statements!
 Anti Virus - Stuartli
Try TrustGo Ad Detector:

play.google.com/store/search?q=trustgo+ad+detector
Latest Forum Posts