Computer Related > Problem with video codec Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 11

Problem with video codec - Dave
I had my dog boxes crash tested today, and they have supplied a CD with the high speed video footage. The 'raw' version is huge, so they also supplied a compressed version. But I can't open it as it says I need a codec.

I found a dodgy programme on the web that tells me I need Intel indeo R5.1 - IV50.

So what do I do now?

As an aside, can I load this video that needs codec onto Youtube as it is (even though I can't play it), so it can be seen that way?
 Problem with video codec - Zero
You need to download the "K-lite" codec pack

>> As an aside, can I load this video that needs codec onto Youtube as it
>> is (even though I can't play it), so it can be seen that way?

Yes probably - Youtube accepts a miriad of formats, you can even edit it on line on youtube before you make it public.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 May 13 at 17:55
I'll have a look at that then.

But another issue! I also recorded some of my own video with a JVC HDD camera. Now these files come up as .MOD, and I can't view them on the PC unless done thro' the JVC supplied software. Do I have to download something else for these movies?
Last edited by: Dave on Thu 16 May 13 at 19:01
just rename them as per this article, the kilte pack will handle them.

www.wikihow.com/Work-with-JVC-.MOD-Files

Suggest you download the VLC player to play them on your pc.
 Problem with video codec - FocalPoint
I was going to suggest VLC - it seems to play pretty much everything.
its my player of choice on my mac, which without it, plays pretty much nothing.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 16 May 13 at 19:35
I loaded the K-lite, and it works perfectly, so many thanks.

I started renaming the MOD files and joining the clips together, but it was gobbling up space at such a rate I had to abort for the time being. I'll have another go tomorrow with fewer clips and the compressed AVI files (that now work) to make a complete video of all the important bits, which hopefully won't be too big for my computer to handle.

I'll send it to Youtube so you can have a butchers. It's quite interesting (to me, anyway) to see on the high speed video how the box behaved when subjected to a 50kph frontal crash test (26g) with 2 x 25kg 'dogs'.
Ok, so now the next problem!

My editing package (supplied with the JVC camera), won't let me join MOD clips that I filmed, with avi and compressed avi clips, to make one long film.

Will I be able to join all these clips on Youtube?
Provided you upload the clips, yes you can splice them together.

www.youtube.com/editor

Do you have windows 7? tried using the built in move maker?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 May 13 at 15:54
I have XP!

I just downloaded one of the compressed avi files to youtube, and despite a warning that they couldn't recognise the audio file (there is no audio anyway), and it worked. So I'll try and load a few and see if they can be joined.

>> and despite a warning
>> that they couldn't recognise the audio file (there is no audio anyway),

Thats why they couldn't recognise it.
Latest Forum Posts