Computer Related > UK IP Address when abroad Computing Issues
Thread Author: geoff1248 Replies: 8

UK IP Address when abroad - geoff1248
I travel out of the UK a few times a year and am unable to use iplayer because of this. I therefore figured that I need a UK IP address when I'm abroad. My geeky son suggested that I try to set up a VPN with my home (UK based) PC and access iplayed via that.
Now his level of geek is limited so we don't know if this would work and give me a UK IP address.
So a couple of questions:
1. Would it work?
2. Would I have to leave the home PC turned on when I'm away or will my router give the UK IP address?

I have the choice of accessing iplayer with either an ipad or windows netbook.
 UK IP Address when abroad - Zero
>> I travel out of the UK a few times a year and am unable to
>> use iplayer because of this.
>> I therefore figured that I need a UK IP address
>> when I'm abroad. My geeky son suggested that I try to set up a VPN
>> with my home (UK based) PC and access iplayed via that.
>> Now his level of geek is limited so we don't know if this would work
>> and give me a UK IP address.
>> So a couple of questions:
>> 1. Would it work?

Yes it would

>> 2. Would I have to leave the home PC turned on when I'm away

Mostly yes

>> will my router give the UK IP address?

Most normal home routers wont.

>> I have the choice of accessing iplayer with either an ipad or windows netbook.

what your geeky son failed to tell you is that using a web proxy service would be easier and better.
 UK IP Address when abroad - rtj70
Yes it would work. You don't need a UK IP address as such - if you x create a vpn then your phone/teller will have an address on your home network and share the real internet address on the router.

you go this on the pc then it needs to be on. But some routers support vpn... I.e you need a vpn server in the router. Some can be flashed with generic firmware that supports this if it doesn't do it out if the box so to speak.
 UK IP Address when abroad - No FM2R
>>what your geeky son failed to tell you is that using a web proxy service would be easier and better.

And the free ones are worth exactly what you pay for them.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 17 May 13 at 14:14
 UK IP Address when abroad - Zero
>> >>what your geeky son failed to tell you is that using a web proxy service
>> would be easier and better.
>>
>> And the free ones are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Depends what you want them to do. If for example it is to circumvent ISP's firewalling torrent sites, or disguise your origin then a free proxy is more than adequate. If you want to appear from a specific place, with some degree of reliable throuput then a subscription proxy service would better suit your needs.
 UK IP Address when abroad - movilogo
There are some free apps available which allows you to mimic your address as if you are in a different country.

So the question is, which of those apps will allow to change to UK IP.

This is the easiest solution. Most of these apps are like single EXE files.

Ultra Surf is good one but I can't remember if it allows to change to a UK address (most of them allows you select from several US addresses).

UK IP Address when abroad - Fursty Ferret
I recommend this:

www.adeepbite.com/hidemyass-vpn-review/
 UK IP Address when abroad - No FM2R
Ultrasurf is for hiding, I don't think it allows you to determine where you're seen as coming from.
 UK IP Address when abroad - sherlock47
www.witopia.net/

This has proved very reliable for the last 2 years - adequate for BBC iplayer streaming SD, HD can be patchy, from Europe. Despite sharing on 2 machines (different IP addresses) it has never apparently recognised a conflict of multiple users - although that could just be down to luck.

You can try it for a month to see if it meets your specific needs for less than a fiver.
Latest Forum Posts