Computer Related > laptop restarting Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 26

laptop restarting - sooty123
I've got a toshiba laptop that this morning has started restarting itself. First a blue box appears with text on it. The box doesn't stay on for very long, a lot of it is numbers and letters. However I did manage to pick out the words; physical memory crash dump. First time it happened it was just after I ejected a sd card, I'm not sure if its related. Apologies for the lack of info, there appears to be no warning and it only flashes up for a few seconds.
 laptop restarting - No FM2R
Could be a number of things, none of which are good.

Does it stay running for very long? I mean, long enough for you to be able to do anything?
Yes it's been running for about an hour since the second time and about 25 mins between the first and second times.
Does anything in particular set off the blue screen? Or is it seemingly random?

Do you have backups?

Try running chkdsk first. That might cause it to crash if the issue is the disk. Have it automatically fix errors.

Has the machine taken a bang, or have you installed anything new on it in the last few days?
>> Does anything in particular set off the blue screen? Or is it seemingly random?
>>

The first time I had just clicked on to eject a sd card, the second time I was doing nothing in particular.

>> Do you have backups?

On an external HD? No. Although the second time I did a safe mode start at the computer choose a restore point from a few days ago.

>> Try running chkdsk first. That might cause it to crash if the issue is the
>> disk. Have it automatically fix errors.

Am I right in saying you need the disk for that?

>>
>> Has the machine taken a bang, or have you installed anything new on it in
>> the last few days?

No knocks or anything, however it has done a few auto updates for adobe, windows 7 and the such like.
>>
 laptop restarting - rtj70
>> Am I right in saying you need the disk for that?

Just open a command prompt and then run the command:

chkdsk /F

Ok thanks I'll have a go at it and report back.
What anti-virus / anti-malware stuff do you run? Have you downloaded anything (anything at all) or visited any unusual websites?

That revert to a restore point bothers me. Some of the nastier stuff does mess around with restore points.
I can't think of any. I've got AVG and avast I haven't run them yet but I'll give them a whirl.
How did the chkdsk go?
I tried it but it said

'Access denied you do not have sufficient privilages. You have to invoke this utility in running in elevated mode.'

Is it your laptop? What version of Windows is it running?
It's running Windows 7.
More or less as follows...

click on start button / circle thing

type CMD in search box

right click on CMD.EXE

click on "Run as Administrator"

type in "CHKDSK /F

"Cannot lock currrent drive

blah blah blah

Would you like to run chkdsk at nex start up?

Enter "Y"

exit

Reboot.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 26 Jun 13 at 14:44
Thanks for that I'll run it when the avast scan is done.
I ran it, nothing of note. It didn't highlight any area as having an issue, although I'm not 100% sure what I would be looking for using that tool.
 laptop restarting - TeeCee
Right-click the command window icon and hit "Run as administrator". Then run the chkdsk command.
It'll say that the disk's locked and will have to be checked at reboot. Answer "Y" to this. Then reboot the machine and it should check during the startup process.

If it's bluescreening and restarting, I doubt it's disk-related though. Have you updated any drivers recently? An iffy driver (especially video or storage) is an obvious candidate. Next on the list would be failing memory.

There's a setting somewhere to disable auto-reboot on bluescreen, which would allow you to see what's actually failing. I'll squirrel it out.
Last edited by: TeeCee on Wed 26 Jun 13 at 14:45
 laptop restarting - TeeCee
See here: pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

With that off you should at least be able to see where the exception is occurring, which will give a better clue as to the root cause.
 laptop restarting - Fursty Ferret
Hoover out the dust from inside it.
Has it crashed again or is it now behaving better?

laptop restarting - Zero
Am i right in saying this is intermittent Blue Screen of Death on startup?

Being a laptop its probably hardware, as Hercule the Pilot says, blow the dust out of the fan, and take out the memory sim, clean the contacts and refit it.
No it did it about 20 min after being turned on. It's not been hoovered since I bought it, so I'll take it apart and give it a good clean.
it's been fine so far, no issues at all.
 laptop restarting - Victorbox
Worth checking the RAM is OK by typing memory in search box by Start Orb and clicking on the Windows Memory Diagnostics that will appear at top of list to run the built in Windows 7 memory tester.
 laptop restarting - devonite
up the thread you mention that you have both AVG and AVAST, you should not be running two A/V`s together, try disabling AVG. AVAST is the better A/V in my opinion.
Just a quick update, all seems to be well. It hasn't done it again and is working fine. Not sure what to chalk it upto?
Dust, probably.
Latest Forum Posts