Computer Related > Website access from abroad Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 12

Website access from abroad - borasport
Currently sat here in Austria browsing on Asus android tab
No issues with this site, face book works fine, many random sites work, but any attempt to access the BBC fails with a timeout message, as does my own website (avg 80 hits a day, so its not traffic overload)
Any suggestions ?
SWMBO has a windows laptop and I had to swap the dns ip`s to Google before that worked but thats now showing the same issues
Peculiarly the location shows 4 networks, 2 named for the campsite and two for the appartments,but the two appartment networks have exactly the same name and I'm sure thats not good
 Website access from abroad - No FM2R
This is the usual BBC News site, rather than iPlayer ?
Duplicate network names shouldn't matter. It happens, but once you're connected, you're connected.
It is indeed, just typing www.bbc.co.uk into chrome generates a long wait then an 'oops' message, similarly with any links to the beeb from this site or any other - i.e trying to access a bbc news story via Google news
Sounds like a network configuration issue. Perhaps security.

Is there another WiFi you could try in a coffee shop or something? Just to rule out a bunch of possibilities.

Given that you're probably not allowed to mess around with the WiFi you're trying to use, then I suggest just pulling its plug out of the wall and then starting up again may help.
 Website access from abroad - Zero
whats the "ooppps" message? 404?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 12 Jul 13 at 18:50
 Website access from abroad - AnotherJohnH

www.isitdownrightnow.com/bbc.co.uk.html

OK for me, even though the response time is high.
Twas an 'oops' on the browser tab and 'this page is not available - cancel/reload' on the main page
Whatever it was, after the consumption of beer, wine and Wiener Schnitzel, it appears to have gone away on all available devices
Danke
You were trying to use the internet while on holiday BEFORE alcohol??

Well, no wonder that didn't work. Remember this lesson.
Not an option, even I couldn't face a beer at this time of day
Wierdly,its happening again - can access this site and random others fine, facebook and YouTube fine, but google/yahoo/bbc, no joy - I guess its an issue with dns servers somewhere or other
Oh well, no option but to go for a beer
 Website access from abroad - TeeCee
>> You were trying to use the internet while on holiday BEFORE alcohol??
>>
>> Well, no wonder that didn't work. Remember this lesson.
>>

Ah yes. A very wise collegue once told me; "Never screw around with computers when you are sober. It is much easier to work out when sober what you screwed up while drunk, than it is to work out when drunk what you screwed up while sober."
Last edited by: TeeCee on Mon 22 Jul 13 at 08:58
Once logged into systems remotely to resolve an issue when I was on call half asleep and drunk. The network exec server was getting in my way so I disabled it.

Eventually light dawned and I realised what I'd done, so I got a friend to drive me 45 miles to work at 4:00am to switch it back on again.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 22 Jul 13 at 12:03
Latest Forum Posts