Computer Related > size of MP3 file Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 23

size of MP3 file - Netsur
How big is the MP3 file of a typical 60min CD?

If I have say 250Gb free on my hard drive, how many CDs will fill it.

Same question for say a 1hr 30min DVD?

Is it possible to load up all my say 250 classical CDs and put on say 40 DVDs for the kids to watch whilst we are overseas

Thanks
 size of MP3 file - lancara
Herbert von Karajan-Berliner Philharmoniker - Beethoven - Symphonie No.7 & No.8

= 1 hour 40 secs = 139MB recorded at 320kbps - namely 6-7 hours per Gb
DVD depends very much on the method of ripping - 700mb up to 4.5Gb. Former is very watchable unless you're into 50" plasmas!!
 size of MP3 file - Focusless
>> = 1 hour 40 secs = 139MB recorded at 320kbps

I love my music but I'm not an audiofile and find 160kbps perfectly acceptable - that would give you double the capacity. Try experimenting with the bit rate setting of your CD ripping program.

Don't know about DVDs.
 size of MP3 file - rtj70
You'd want an MP3 file for each track on the 60 min CD. The size of the MP3 depends on the quality setting used, e.g. 192kbit/s vs. 256kbit/s vs 384kbit/s.

How do you intend storing the content of the DVD? As a direct copy of the DVD content (copy protection will be present if a commercial disk) it will be the same size as the space used on the DVD. If you rip the DVD and convert the movie to MP4 format or similar then it depends on the bitrate used for encoding and the resolution you want.

Answering the last question.... it depends. You could easily rip 40 DVDs and fit in 40Gb or less. The music will fit on the disk easily.

When converting DVDs to MP4 format or similar then (a) you need to rip and then convert from MPEG2 to MP4 using something. Hand Brake can do the conversion and (b) decoding an MP4 movie can take a fair amount of CPU time if you cannot get the GPU to help out.
 size of MP3 file - Manatee
I use mp3 at 256kbps and reckon about 120MB per hour. So on a scale of 30GB for your albums?

Not sure about the DVDs, a lot depends on the quality/compression level.
 size of MP3 file - Zero
It depends on the bit rate you specify.

you can rip an audio cd down to about 90-110 mbytes. You can get about 6-7 Audio cds ripped to one full MP3 cd.

A DVD is about 4.7 gig so about 6 times bigger than a cd, so say 35-40 audio cds ripped using mp3 to a DVD.

What are the kids going to watch? DVDs with video on? Video DVDs are already compressed so you cant save much space there except by compromising on screen definition and quality.

Just checked my iTunes - 49.1 days = 90.7Gb - recorded at varying rates
Thanks for all your help. I am ripping the CDs onto the new laptop with a 320Gb hard drive with about 280Gb free. I am using 192Kbs which I think will be adequate for listening on the beach or an aeroplane or in a car. For proper listening, a proper HiFi system will still be used.

The laptop will come away with us to the US hence the idea to load all my music onto it and selected DVDs for the children. If I can get all the Cds and say 40 DVDs onto the machine and leave say 100Gb free, I will be very happy. Can I do it?
 size of MP3 file - rtj70
Welcome to the digital world :-) My newish network drive can be sorted soon. We have the keys to the new house. It has over 1.6TB free (it has mirrored 2Tb drives with a free one on the way too).

Seriously, Espada after this consider using MP3 versions of audio and MP4 for video as a useable format.
I have ripped them using the MP3 format rather than WMA(?) format. Was that the best thing to do? I have ripped about 30 Cds so far.
 size of MP3 file - Zero
yes, thats correct. WMA does not sound any better, and it carries digital rights issues with it, so its best avoided.

Edit, I would suggest you DONT use your new laptop on the beach. It wont last very long.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 28 May 10 at 08:32
Not only will it not go near the beach, I shall try to keep sticky little fingers away from it unless they are glued to a film...
Well, over the weekend I have completed ripping about 175 CDs with a total file size of 13Gb.
My next job is to rip about 50 DVDs.

I am also considering loading certain regular use items or some of the DVDs onto an 8Gb SD card which I can load directly into the laptop. This should save power by reducing moving parts and so keeping power for the possibility of a seven hour flight. Does this sound reasonable?
 size of MP3 file - Zero
what are the DVDs, and what ae you using to rip them?

"ripping" commercial video DVDs is not quite as easy as Audio CDs

Using sound and moving video is going to decimate your laptops power capacity. you wont get a 7 hour filght out of one.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 31 May 10 at 19:08
Hmmm

Just discovered that!

They are Disney type films for the children. I want to view them whilst we are away, without having to take the actual disks with. Friends are able to copy films to their MP3/4 players, so what do they do and how do I do what I want to do?
 size of MP3 file - Zero
your going to need to obtain some DVD ripping software, like DVD rip or ripit4me.

Or of course, and its probably where your friends go the MP4s, pirate them off the web.
Thank you!
 size of MP3 file - rtj70
In addition to ripping the DVDs, you might want to consider re-encoding as MP4. If you rip a DVD as is, it takes up the same space as the DVD. Some rippers will transcode quickly and fit all of a DVD or the movie only in 4.37Gb (to fit on a single layer DVD disk). But that means you have 4.37Gb.

A really efficient free program to encode a DVD (once ripped) into say MP4 format is HandBrake. On a decent spec PC or Mac this might take say 30 minutes. You can choose how big you want the file vs bit rate (i.e. quality). Also will do two pass encoding for better quality and smaller files but obviously takes longer.

For movies that I have but stored away on DVD (hence using MP4 on a play back device), I used HandBrake choosing the slightly inferior (one pass) encode of MP4 format and the FFmpeg (Flask Mpeg) encoder. Using H.264 is better for quality but for standard definition I find ffmpeg fine.

All of this obviously takes a bit of time. On the PC, if you have a modern GPU you can make use of that for encoding DVDs (I have a program for an nvidia graphic card). I also have tried an elgato Turbo.264HD USB device on the Mac.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 31 May 10 at 20:37
any recommendations for ripping software. I tried ripit4me but it wanted the details of the DVD decoder and I didn't have a clue?
 size of MP3 file - Focusless
Is DivX any good for DVDs? Just curious.
Friend just recommended ImToo which seems to be working.
 size of MP3 file - rtj70
Is DVD Decrypter style available for download. It works for most but some DVDs have deliberate errors in the structure to stop copying easily.
 size of MP3 file - spamcan61
I use DVDShrink 3.2 and then re-encode as required. Does give my poor old Pentium M 1.6GHz laptop a bit of a workout though.
Latest Forum Posts