Computer Related > Laptop freezes on certain websites Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 6

Laptop freezes on certain websites - Focusless
For example:
www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Tablet-PC/subcat/7-inch-Tablets

That page itself is ok, but if I click on one of the reevoo reviews (which don't have their own URLs), my laptop freezes for about 30 seconds. That is, the pointer doesn't even move if I move the mouse. Meanwhile the HD light indicates there's some pretty serious disk activity. Then it unfreezes and we're back to normal.

I'm guessing it's loading up something - Java VM? - and it only happens if it's the first time since booting up; it's not a big problem. But I'm curious - is it the same for everyone else? I don't think the whole machine should freeze up just because it's loading something; interrupt configuration issue perhaps?
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 23 Jul 13 at 08:39
Ok, sorry - it's not a general problem; it's something to do with VMplayer. I just rebooted so I could try clicking on the reevoo link again with Task Manager running, and it loaded up straight away.

Normally I'm running VMplayer (for work - our dev tools run under Linux), and I'm pretty sure that's (indirectly) what causes the freeze. I'd still like to know why though.
 Laptop freezes on certain websites - rtj70
If I disable Javascript then the review buttons are not there - so there is Java used on that webpage.

When this page stopped, did others using Java work? Did you try a different web browser?
>> If I disable Javascript then the review buttons are not there - so there is
>> Java used on that webpage.

www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/guides/java-and-javascript :)

>> When this page stopped, did others using Java work?

The laptop freezes - nothing works.

>> Did you try a different web browser?

Might try that next time (needs (at least) a reboot first).
 Laptop freezes on certain websites - rtj70
The whole laptop freezes but the use of this web page is in a VM Player session?
No, sorry - the browser (Chrome) is running under Windows (7), VMplayer is just something else that is running.
Shut down last night so repeated the experiment just now with Task Manager running - Task Manager also froze (as I expected).

Next time I'll try a different browser (ie. not Chrome).
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 25 Jul 13 at 08:13
Latest Forum Posts