Computer Related > Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 32

Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - L'escargot
... own accord. Why? It's in a room by itself and nobody walks past it, so it's not as if the table gets bumped. Can the sensitivity be adjusted?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 30 May 10 at 10:21
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - Dog
I use standby quite a lot and usually it's fine but yes - sometimes it does restart all on it's own for some reason, I put it down to my 'corded' optical rodent - maybe the wire moving slightly.
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - Zero
It could be set to wake up from any number of sources, can be a programe, clock, or netwrok activity or mouse or keyboard.

If you turn it off or shut it down it wont wake up. Are you just suspending it or putting it to sleep? Shouldnt do this a lot really, you get things called "memory leaks" where the system never releases memory back for use and evrything grinds slowly to a halt.
I just click on Start>Turn Off Computer>Stand By, after disconnecting from t'internet.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 30 May 10 at 10:30
>> I just click on Start>Turn Off Computer>Stand By, after disconnecting from t'internet.

try Start>turn off computer>shut down

It also saves power.
>> try Start>turn off computer>shut down
>>
>> It also saves power.
>>

I don't like to have to wait for it to warm up.
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - Focusless
>> If you turn it off or shut it down it wont wake up.

...except in the unlikely event there's a bug in your motherboard BIOS - I had one that sometimes turned itself on (from off, not standby) at midnight. It was an Abit board.
Isn't there some sort of 'wake on LAN' setting in most BIOSs? Don't know exactly what it does, but it might be worth having a look in there.
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 30 May 10 at 10:38
Er .............. and how do I do that? In plain English please!
>> Er .............. and how do I do that? In plain English please!

Sorry - when you turn the PC on, you should see a brief message along the lines of 'press X to enter BIOS' where X is a key?
>> >> Er .............. and how do I do that? In plain English please!
>>
>> Sorry - when you turn the PC on, you should see a brief message along
>> the lines of 'press X to enter BIOS' where X is a key?

No dont go there, you dont need to.
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - VxFan
Why not set it to hibernate instead of setting it to standby?

Press the shift key down to do that, btw, and the standby icon will change to hibernate (sorry if you already knew that)
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - Dog
Q ... What is the difference between standby and hibernate

A ... Hibernate saves an image of your desktop with all open files and documents, and powers down your computer. When you turn on power, your files and documents are open on your desktop exactly as you left them.
Standby reduces the power consumption of your computer by cutting power to hardware components you are not using. Standby can cut power to peripheral devices, your monitor, and even your hard drive, but maintains power to your computer's memory so you don't lose your work.
Standby reduces power consumption from about 50 to 2.5 watts, while Hibernate reduces it from about 50 to 1.8 watts, since modern computers are always using some power even when "off".
Since the difference in the amount of power saved is insignificant and users are more likely to get in the habit of choosing standby because it is faster, standby may be the best choice for environmentally conscious users.

>> Standby reduces power consumption from about 50 to 2.5 watts
>> Hibernate reduces it from about 50 to 1.8 watts
>> standby may be the best choice for environmentally conscious users.

Surely hibernate is more environmentally friendly as it uses 0.7 less watts than standby does.
>> Surely hibernate is more environmentally friendly as it uses 0.7 less watts than standby does.
>>

I'm not bothered about being "environmentally friendly". I just want my computer to be "L'escargot friendly"!
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - Statistical Outlier
I read an interesting study that, for laptops, showed that if you need to use the machine a few times a day, powering up and down used more battery than leaving it in sleep mode.

tinyurl.com/32o8c2t
In answer to my own question, I surfed t'internet and came up with this ..........

Start>Control Panel>Mouse>Hardware>Properties>Power Management. Uncheck the box "Allow the device to bring the computer out of standby."

I now have to press a key to bring the computer back to life. Moving the mouse does nothing when in standby. Please tell me I haven't done something silly!
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 30 May 10 at 17:11
>> I now have to press a key to bring the computer back to life. Moving
>> the mouse does nothing when in standby. Please tell me I haven't done something silly!

Sounds good to me. But it would have been much more fun changing lots of things in the BIOS :)
>> But it would have been much more fun changing lots of
>> things in the BIOS :)
>>

Not if I did it. I'd end up having to take my computer to a computer doctor!
>> Not if I did it. I'd end up having to take my computer to a
>> computer doctor!

Yep it can be dodgy - Zero was right to poo-poo it.
well funnily enough, you have disabled the ability of the mouse to bring the computer out of standby, and thats probably why moving the mouse does not bring the machine out of standby.

Isnt that what you wanted to achieve?
>> well funnily enough, you have disabled the ability of the mouse to bring the computer
>> out of standby, and thats probably why moving the mouse does not bring the machine
>> out of standby.
>>
>> Isnt that what you wanted to achieve?
>>

Yes.

I assume that previously my computer had a mind of its own in standby because the mouse was too sensitive.
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - Stuartli
It is generally much wiser to use Hibernate rather than Standby - the former Saves everything in use and re-opens at the point where it was closed down, whereby using Standby means unsaved data could be lost in the event of a power cut or other problem.
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - rtj70
Stuartli, on a Windows PC what you suggest is the way I'd go. On standby, if you lose power you then lose anything that's open. Not a good idea.

On a Mac, the default on laptops is to sleep which will go into 'standby' and also save a copy of memory to disk (the machine stays awake long enough to do this after the screen goes off). If power is lost it will resume from the state saved to disk but otherwise it's like a PC in standby.

On a desktop Mac this is not the default method for going to sleep (laptops have batteries) but I turned this on for my iMac and so I benefit from it. Normally it goes to sleep but if I unplug it when sleeping it will resume by restoring the system state from disk.
Agreed. I use Hibernate during the day and do a full Shut Down if I have to go out as well as last thing at night.

>> I use Hibernate during the day .........

Ever since I disabled the ability of the mouse to bring the computer out of Standby (because the mouse appeared to be too temperamental), using Hibernate has resulted in multiple folders opening up when the computer is restarted. I'm going to stick to using Standby.
>>..using Hibernate has resulted in multiple folders opening up when the computer is restarted>>

That's the whole point of Hibernate.....:-)

It Restarts your system at the point where you closed it down (Hibernate) unless, of course, you closed any folders, browsers etc first.

PS

With reference to your original problem, have you checked the Bios settings to see if any Wake Up features are Enabled?
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 8 Jun 10 at 09:43
>> >>..using Hibernate has resulted in multiple folders opening up when the computer is restarted>>
>>
>> That's the whole point of Hibernate.....:-)

I always save all my work and close all programmes before going into Standby ~ or Hibernation. The multiple folders which open up after Hibernation are completely unrelated to anything I've done in the previous session, or in fact in any other session in the past. I only use Standby (or Hibernate) to (rightly or wrongly) reduce wear on my computer's moving parts
>> I only use Standby (or Hibernate) to (rightly or wrongly) reduce wear on my computer's moving parts

Some experts recommend leaving a PC switched on all the time because the powering up and down warms and cools components and you can get component creep where ICs mounted in sockets can move, along with plug and socket connectors. I believe I'm right in saying that comp manufacturers design them to be left switched on all the time.
Its not a good idea to leave it switched on all the time, It does not prevent issues, but only masks them (i can tel you countless stories of swtching large complexes off, and the thing failing to boot as a whole because it was bascially knackered)

There VERY good reasons you need to turn off PCs. but the main one is memory leakage All memory needs to be relased back to the system (only happens fully at power down)

Its also the only time the AV programe can examine ALL files (some are locked and cant be accessed shortly after boot up)

Life is not so short that you can wait for a PC to boot fromn cold. (and if it takes a long time, its only then you realise you have choked the thing to death with too much rubbish)
>> With reference to your original problem, have you checked the Bios settings to see if
>> any Wake Up features are Enabled?
>>

No. I feel I reached the limit of my competence in doing what I did to stop the mouse awakening my computer of its own accord.
>> With reference to your original problem, have you checked the Bios settings to see if
>> any Wake Up features are Enabled?

Discussed about 8 posts from the top.
 Computer sometimes wakes up from standby of its .. - movilogo
This happened to my computer as well.

Then I discovered there is an automated task in Windows Scheduler.

Disabled it and no issue since then :)
Latest Forum Posts