Computer Related > New Printer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 5

New Printer - Ambo
Following from my problems with Dell, I have been round and round the websites looking for a new printer and the range is confusing. Would posters using a non-Dell, fairly recent and basic model Printer/Copier/Scanner kindly suggest a new model? I need:

-ADF
-Back-to-back printing
-USB connection to computer
-USB slot to copy from another input device (such as a stick), independent of the computer
-Pictbridge and card slots for direct printing of pictures (needn't be true photo-quality)

I don't need fax. Price and running costs are not critical. Cheers.

New Printer - Pat
Canon Pixma MG4150 seems to do all that I think, ambo and mine takes a lot of stick and still keeps going well.

Pat
 New Printer - rtj70
If by ADF you mean automatic document feed for the scanner, then the Pixma MG4150 doesn't do that. You're narrowing your options a bit with needing this.

If by back to back printing you mean duplex printing then it does do that.
 New Printer - rtj70
Some reviews from a quick Google of AIO printers with ADF:

tinyurl.com/odk4xwr (links to the The Register with reviews from last year - so maybe models are now bargains)

From previous experience I'd still consider a Canon and their MX range of printers come with ADF. These are classed as home office printers, hence MX instead of MG in the name.

www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/Home-Office-Printers/index.aspx
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 3 Sep 13 at 11:58
 New Printer - Duncan
According to Which? The four cheapest Best Buys with ADF and two sided scan and print are:-

1. Canon Pixma MX515 £84
2. Brother MFC-J5910DW £99
3. Brother MFC-J6510DW £124
4. Epson Stylus Office BX630FW £135
 New Printer - Ambo
Many thanks for tips. Because of a very convenient deal (deliver and install) I have decided to drop the USB and ADL features and have opted for a Canon Pixma MG5250, wireless. The price is £80 and overall compares favourably overall with the usual online dealers' prices.

Incidentally, I do wonder about Dell's profits. I got a Dell laptop and complained that the logo on the case was upside down (I was wrong). This was not a problem in use but I thought it would affect any resale deal. I asked them to collect the machine and supply another. I got a very garbled call from, I think, India, offering me instead a free peripheral. The caller's accent was so bad I couldn't make out what he was saying and resorted to responding "yes" at random to something on his list. The mystery package contained a very nice set of speakers.

I then ordered a Dell printer. Soon after installation another one turned up. Worried that I might be charged for both I asked for it to be collected. No problem, they said, just keep it with our compliments.

Dell must make so much money that giving away free kit doesn't bother them. Or can it be that the machines are worth less than the return shipping costs?

Latest Forum Posts