Computer Related > Avast - should I expect an update ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 11

Avast - should I expect an update ? - hawkeye
There are 2 similar Acer laptops at home, both running Vista. They have had Avast anti-virus on for a while. Mrs H's Avast icon has turned brown after an update a week or so ago. Mine stays blue even though I get messages that the database is being updated. What's going on here. Anyone know for sure ?

TIA
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - John H
SQ

Have you checked the first port of call - Avast home page?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 01:04
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - lancara
My Vista laptop received a program update last week, and have been receiving the normal twice-daily database updates since then
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - Pat
I had the main update last week too and have had the daily ones since.

Right click on the icon and then click ' update', you then get a choice of 'programme' or 'Engine and virus definitions'

I would do both.

Pat

Last edited by: pda on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 05:18
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - sherlock47
My Avast seems to generally update 2x per day. Along with sexy verbal assurance! Seems to disturb Mrs pmh when it wakes her up at 03.00!
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - Roger.
Avast! 5 has a browny gold logo: Avast 4 has/had a blue logo.
Check your version and if you are still on Avast! 4 get your free update to the program itself.
Off I went to the Avast home page and downloaded the latest. Now I've got a brown icon but Vista thinks I haven't got an antivirus running and shows me the red shield with a cross on it.

Thanks for your replies all

VxFan what does SQ mean ?
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - Victorbox
I had the same issue with two PC's running Avast Free version 4 - one upgraded automatically to version 5 the other (even when I asked it to upgrade engine) stayed at 4.
You did uninstall version 4 completely with a re-boot before installing version 5?

To be honest, for PC's capable of easily running Vista or Windows 7 I now use Microsoft's free Security Essentials.
Last edited by: Victorbox on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 09:48

>> You did uninstall version 4 completely with a re-boot before installing version 5?
>>

No but there's no mention of it in Programs and Features.
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - Zero
>> To be honest, for PC's capable of easily running Vista or Windows 7 I now
>> use Microsoft's free Security Essentials.

and me
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - VxFan
>> VxFan what does SQ mean ?

Snip Quote - where I've edited the post to remove unnecessary and excessive quoting of the persons post being replied to - as per the pop up request.
 Avast - should I expect an update ? - ....
>> Off I went to the Avast home page and downloaded the latest. Now I've got
>> a brown icon but Vista thinks I haven't got an antivirus running and shows me
>> the red shield with a cross on it.
>>
Have you got Windows Defender running ?
You need to switch off the Real Time Protection of Defender otherwise you get conflict between Avast and WD.
Latest Forum Posts