Computer Related > Tablets? Computing Issues
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 13

Tablets? - sherlock47
HUDL appears to have mixed reviews.

Only needed to give a less weighty viewing experience when in bed or on sofa. And to educate me in Android speak :)

Also for Skype use.

Any experience here?

Part funded with Boost points means it should be less than £100.
 Tablets? - smokie
Is there a missing link?
 Tablets? - sherlock47
Missing Link? If you own one, you will be able to make user comments :)

Obviously a massive advertising capaign has passed you by :) Clue 'every little helps'.
 Tablets? - rtj70
Pop into your local Tesco and take a look. Feels fairly lightweight but hard to form an opinion on the screen because they've stuck a transparent label with text/images on it. And on a quick look you cannot get out of the demo mode so cannot access the app drawer.

From the reviews I've seen it's probably not a bad tablet. If you double up clubcard points it takes only £60 of Clubcard points to get one. And one thing that is good is they have not put a 'skin' on it and so it runs pretty much standard Android 4.2.2. There is a Tesco icon/button on the screen though.

It's nowhere near as good in terms of screen and performance to Google's/Asus' latest Nexus 7. But that's £199 not £119.

www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/23/tesco_hudl_7in_android_tablet/
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 12 Oct 13 at 12:22
 Tablets? - sherlock47
Thanks for comments.

Performance and camera issues get some poor reviews, but I am looking for individuals 'real' experience. Feels ok in the flesh, but in demo mode not a reasonable test of wifi Skype etc.

One professional review implies problems with keeping Skype on line and working but other revies are are positive.
 Tablets? - rtj70
The chances of someone of someone on this site having bought a Hudl and used it for Skype are pretty slim I'd say. I've never used Skype on my Samsung Galaxy Note tablet and I've had that nearly a year.

Performance wise it's nowhere near as fast as say the Nexus 7 (new one) because that uses custom ARM cores by Qualcomm which are close to ARM15 in terms of performance. The Hudl will be using ARM9 cores.

You could always ask in store to get it setup for Skype?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 12 Oct 13 at 12:34
 Tablets? - Stuartli
A rooted Kindle would be a much better bet based on the experience of a friend and feature a superior screen (the Hudl is said to have quite a good display though):

www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/the-simple-guide-to-root-the-kindle-fire-hd-and-flash-a-custom-rom/
 Tablets? - VxFan
>> If you double up clubcard points it takes only £60 of Clubcard points to get one.

Not quite. As the product is £119, you cannot double up £60 of clubcard points to get it as it would a £1 too much. The closest you can do is either double up £55 and then put £9 towards it, or purchase something else at the same time (eg, a protective case) to tip it over the £120 mark.

Either way, Tesco have been clever in that you still need to put some hard cash toward it, and not just clubcard points.
 Tablets? - Focusless
Now Argos joining in; theirs will be £100, on sale tomorrow:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24520499

EDIT: "Argos says the tablet, available in pink or silver aluminium, is aimed at the "tweenie" market of eight- to 13-year-olds and has parental controls already enabled."
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 15 Oct 13 at 11:41
 Tablets? - Focusless
Quite a useful table of features of various tablets in the DM report:
www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2460537/Argos-latest-store-launch-cut-price-tablet-100.html
 Tablets? - rtj70
The screen on the Argos one is not as good as say the Tesco one (referring to resolution mostly). I've not seen an Argos tablet.

All I know is the lower resolution on the 7" Galaxy Tab I looked at last Nov/Dec was noticeably low resolution. The 7" tablet I recently got is a lot better for eBook reading etc.
 Tablets? - rtj70
Comparison chart on that Daily Mail site is wrong on the new Google Nexus 7 starting price. It starts from £199.
 Tablets? - VxFan
"The MyTablet, which is produced under the retailer's own Bush electronics brand in partnership with a Chinese manufacturer"

I wouldn't touch anything made by, or having the Bush label on it again after having previous products made by them giving up the ghost within 12 months and the replacement product also dying too. The portable radio in the kitchen also failed, but luckily the mains transformer burnt out before it finished melting the case and setting it alight.
 Tablets? - sherlock47
Managed to slip a Hudl into the shopping trolley today. After sometime playing and getting my head round the Android experience i must say I am impressed. Skype working well and seems sensitive enough on the WiFi to use throughout the house. Streaming HD video looks good - but I wonder how well the Sony will cope? Somewhere I have a HDMI-Micro HDMI lead!

Only criticism was initially the screen keyboard seemed very ubersensitive - but discovered that only happened when using with the power line installed. Cue searching for some ferrite rings!

Latest Forum Posts